Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Beware of Gogo monthly automatic renewal policy! [price increase Dec 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC

I have a few 762 flights scheduled this month so I bought the monthly pass as I do when it makes sense. In the receipt, they have a new policy:

Hello Fitch7600

Thank you for purchasing the American Airlines Traveler Pass. You’re now ready to get online with Gogo every time you fly a Gogo equipped flight on your airline.

Please note your username: XXXXXX

Every month, on the same date as your initial purchase, your Traveler Pass renews automatically, with no contracts or obligations. This means you won’t have to hassle with buying a new pass every time you fly your airline.

Obviously this is corporate BS of the highest order. They intended to charge my credit card $35 for October whether I had any flights or not, and as far as I can tell, there was no option in my account to opt out or cancel. I deleted my credit card on file and hope that does the trick, but I encourage anyone who has purchased a 30 day pass to monitor their credit cards.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Yes - and keep in mind that you need to cancel at least 7 days before your monthly renewal date. I learned the hard way a few months ago - I tried to cancel 5 days before my plan expired and was told there was nothing they could do and I would have to pay for an additional month - even though the service wouldn't be used once. A closer read of the terms and conditions revealed the 7 day prior cancellation policy, but poor customer service nonetheless.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Gogo charges inconsistent pricing and there are too many promos. I feel this policy alienates loyal customers. But it's not like there are alternatives.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
They caught me in that trap last month. I was able to get Gogo to reverse the charge once I saw it.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
There was a thread on the DL forum about this; last time I bought the month of wifi I immediately went into the live chat to get them to disable the auto-renewal. I suspect next time I buy a month of wifi I'll have to do it again
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Indeed! I used to be a monthly Gogo subscriber, and wanted to suspend the subscription for a few months when I would not be flying. What an incredible pain that was. I won't subscribe to them until they let me easily suspend a subscription from my account on their web page (and no seven day before the new month nonsense!).

FWIW, this kind of thing is so annoying that several states have actually passed laws against it. I believe that Gogo, by not allowing you to terminate your subscription without calling or "chatting" with an agent may actually be breaking the law in several states (I've been told that Illinois is pretty strong in this regard). IANAL, so what do I know?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:57 am
Company Representative - GogoAir

This is not a new policy, as our traveler pass product has always been auto-renewing. On the main product page it says:

Choose from our participating airline partners, and get in air, and online on any Gogo equipped flight. Renews automatically. Cancel anytime.
And on the purchase page, the main graphic says the same thing. That said, there is some other feedback here that I'll definitely pass along to the right people.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by horseguy
Indeed! I used to be a monthly Gogo subscriber, and wanted to suspend the subscription for a few months when I would not be flying. What an incredible pain that was. I won't subscribe to them until they let me easily suspend a subscription from my account on their web page (and no seven day before the new month nonsense!).
I don't have a problem with the currrent system, but then again I fly enough (guaranteed wifi on every flight) DL every month that I don't want to be hassled to re-sign every month. Perhaps if I were only flying AA and were subjected to wifi-roulette, I might feel differently and want the monthly choice. I have never had a problem contacting gogo for CS issues, especially for service failures (read slow down) during the GD free access periods.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gogo
That said, there is some other feedback here that I'll definitely pass along to the right people.
OT, but ? for Gogo: Have you considered and/or is your technology capable of offering a separate high speed service, perhaps Gogo Turbo, for those willing to pay a premium?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:13 am
Suspended

This is not a new policy, as our traveler pass product has always been auto-renewing. On the main product page it says:

And on the purchase page, the main graphic says the same thing. That said, there is some other feedback here that I'll definitely pass along to the right people.
Shouldn't there be a box to check/uncheck for auto renewal. Not giving customers the option is not considering a very good billing practice.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Xero
Gogo charges inconsistent pricing and there are too many promos. I feel this policy alienates loyal customers. But it's not like there are alternatives.
I will not buy a monthly pass for gogo. After seeing speeds dropping recently, I ended up calling it quits in the middle of my last transcon. It got to the point where 80% of the sites I tried to access gave "not responding" errors from Gogo, along with 30-second page loads for the few that did respond.

I won't pay again - especially a recurring monthly charge - until Gogo does something about the service.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
GoGo used to have a 30 day pass. It seems to have dropped it. It's perfect for someone like me who travels several times in one month and then doesn't travel the next month. I went to try to buy another 30 day pass last week and the only option was the auto-renewal Traveler pass. That doesn't work for me so I simply went without wifi on the next 3 flights. GoGo would have had a 30 day purchase but they didn't get anything.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold

What a joke! The same type of recurring monthly charge showed up on my Corporate AMEX this month. I had a heck of a time finding the receipt on the Gogo website and had to chat to ultimately find it. In the past I've ALWAYS bought a monthly pass, now I will have to rethink that. Especially in light of the hard to obtain receipt that is required by my employer.

There aren't many things worse than unknown recurring monthly charges. And yes, I paid close attention to the sitewhen logging in.

Sorry Gogo I mayjust have to forgo your service from now on.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tucsnaz
Sorry Gogo I may just have to forgo your service from now on.
Please do, it will make wifi faster for us monthly subscribers.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Gogo used to have a plan for just 30 days, they recently changed to the auto-renewal. I fly A LOT and use Gogo a lot so I didn't mind the renewal procedure, but considering AA's entire fleet doesn't have Gogo, it seems like something could easily upset even a frequent flier since there could be a month or so where it's not even used.

I definitely think Gogo should make it an option. Fiscally, I'd take the non-renewal, but I bill the expense to my company so the added convenience is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.