Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Preventing Miles Expiration for UK / non-USA AAdvantage Members

Preventing Miles Expiration for UK / non-USA AAdvantage Members

Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Question Preventing Miles Expiration for UK / non-USA AAdvantage Members

Hi

I have 5000 points in my AA account, they are about to expire... I was due to take an AA flight in August but have had to reshedule and use an alternative airline.

Even though I have a small number of points I think I may as well keep my account active and avoid loosing them...

Any ideas?

I do have flights with Air Tahiti Nui in August, I think there are a travel partner with AA? Can I get AA miles on this flight? If so how?

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For general advice, see the FAQ entry and main thread below:

FAQ: How do I keep my miles from expiring?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Keywords: avoid avoiding prevent preventing miles mileage account expire expiry expiration expiring non-US outside US

Last edited by dstan; Aug 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
As you can imagine, the question of keeping miles from expiring comes up often... very often. That is why it is addressed in the FAQ listed at the top of the page titled FAQ: American Airlines AAdvantage - Please Check Here First!

Within that FAQ, there is an "AAdvantage Account Maintenance" with a FAQ about keeping your miles from expiring (with links to the appropriate consolidated threads).

I've alerted the MODs for merge.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:58 am
Original Poster

How about with respect to ATN?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by ukswift88
How about with respect to ATN?
I don't believe that you can earn miles from Air Tahiti Nui flights, only redeem - per AA.com:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...rTahitiNui.jsp

There are hundreds of ways to earn miles quickly, without having to fly.
Another good resources is the AA Wiki: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...r_Mileage_(AA)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I think you mean miles instead of points. Points (elite qualifying points) re-set each calendar year. Miles expire after 18 months of inactivity.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by miamigrad
There are hundreds of ways to earn miles quickly, without having to fly.
Whilst the consolated thread and wiki are tremendously useful to US registered AAdvantage members, these resources do not reflect the very limited range of options available to UK members. I am assuming ukswift88 is a UK based member.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
If non USA based (UK), I would call AA and donate 1000 miles to one of their charities. I did that with a friend's account (he had about 105K and only a very short time until expiration) and the deduction posted quickly. After the deduction, his expiration date was changed to 18 months out.

Of course, that same friend now has signed up for two 75K bonus AA cards. ^ Hello 150K new miles. Next month (90+ days from personal applications), he will apply for the biz card for 75K more miles.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes I am based in UK, is it worth to try save these miles?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
If you've got a few airline miles in another US-based airline or hotel program, it may be possible to exchange them for 1 American Airlines mile by using points.com. (Caveat: I don't know whether points.com is available to UK-based members.)

If it works, this would be a relatively painless way to re-set your expiration of AA miles. The key is to exchange the bare minimum since the exchange ratios are not appealing otherwise.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I might suggest a slight retitling of the thread to include the non-US-based nature of the question. You might get some more focused responses from other members who have been in the same boat who might otherwise assume your question is just seeking the basic stuff that is general knowledge on this board.

To try to answer your question, it appears that the AAdvantage Shopping Mall is one of those items not available to AA members outside of the US. I just switched my AA home page to the UK site and do not see an equivalent. I know that a version of the BA Miles eStore is visible on the US website although from the merchants included on that site, I'm guessing it's a store created for Americans that would be separate from the eStore visible to those in the UK.

There were a few options offered. Have you booked rooms for your August trip yet? There is an offer of 2 miles earned for every pound spent on hotels booked through AA's UK site. Same with rental cars. It appears you could also buy miles--although when I clicked that link from the UK page, I was directed to the same page I see when I click from the US site.

Questions such as this really open up my eyes to the varying ways one company does business in so many different countries.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thread retitled for member convenience.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
As a non-US AAdvantage member slowly working towards MM status without crediting any flights to the program:

- you can use the AAdvantage eshopping site and get miles as long as the store you are purchasing through ships internationally. The operator of the eshopping site can be problematic in having the miles post and there is a separate thread about this.
- download the eshopping toolbar and 300 Yahoo searches through it per month will give you 100 miles each month (although the first lot may not post in time to prevent your miles from expiring).
- you can join these - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-kgbdeals.html - although my miles haven't posted yet
- every now and then AA will run a Facebook promotion, or partners like Bose will where you get miles for liking them or viewing a video
- transfer in some hotel points, Starwood is the best option here
- you can swap or buy miles on points.com, you don't need to be in the US for this. At the moment, you can buy 40,000 and get a bonus 10,000 for $1,000, which sounds a lot, but with your current 5,000 miles, you can redeem that for one way business Asia-North America on Cathay, a flight which can cost $3,000 - 4,000
- use someone like FTD.com to send flowers. They give at least 10 miles per USD spent, but once you are on their mailing list they send you promos for up to 25 miles per USD, and they deliver internationally

Interested to hear any other creating options.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I'd still recommend breezing through the Best ways to prevent miles / AAdvantage account from expiring (consolidated) thread - where this will not be merged.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
AA miles expire in 2 days

Hi AA miles are due to expire in 2 days have I any options to save them.. I am UK based and have amex MR & erewards but these dont transfer to AA

Regards cal

Update just donated 1000 miles said would take upto 48hours.. then received email confirming donation stating allow upto 10 days for miles to deducted from your account.

Last edited by xcalx; Sep 23, 2011 at 5:00 am
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:15 am
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-members.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.