Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
Originally Posted by scubadu
...you will get to buy AA gift cards at 10% off. That's a full stop, total 10% discount, not the standard "10% off the base fare only" style you get with AA discount codes.
An obvious reminder to all: these two discounts (x% via promo codes and 10% via Costco) can be stacked.
And if you buy an Executive Membership, you will get an additional 2% off the gift card purchase price (via annual rebate). Not to mention whatever other savings you can realize. Most of Costco's bulk inventory has long or indefinite shelf life, but there are non-bulk items, too... wine, jewelry, furniture, TVs, computers, tires, car batteries, eyeglasses... not to mention restaurant gift cards, movie tickets, insurance discounts...

I've been a member since the Price Club days, and I don't recall any kind of a membership promo or discount, at least not in recent years. But, unless you're the very rare person who can't realize sufficient purchase savings to offset the membership cost, it's already a really good deal.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I bought 9 gift cards in January and finally got to use half of them to buy DFW-YVR, ANC-DFW! Very excited to use them for the first time and know I saved $$$. I've got trips planned for October & November so I know I'll be using the rest soon. I may even buy more when I go back to LA in May. (Costco in DFW still does not sell them.)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
I bought 9 gift cards in January and finally got to use half of them to buy DFW-YVR, ANC-DFW! Very excited to use them for the first time and know I saved $$$. I've got trips planned for October & November so I know I'll be using the rest soon. I may even buy more when I go back to LA in May. (Costco in DFW still does not sell them.)
Using ITA to price a multi-city itinerary, mid-May, I saw AA's own-metal fares from $733 (a/i), AA with AS code-shares from $529, and AS from $503. For a non-gift-card comparison, US/UA from $408. (I believe the cards can be used for AS.) The AA-metal flights were the only non-stops, given the DFW terminus.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Using ITA to price a multi-city itinerary, mid-May, I saw AA's own-metal fares from $733 (a/i), AA with AS code-shares from $529, and AS from $503. For a non-gift-card comparison, US/UA from $408. (I believe the cards can be used for AS.) The AA-metal flights were the only non-stops, given the DFW terminus.
Sorry, that totally went over my head. Can you elaborate and explain all the acronyms? (I know what ITA is and AA but not familiar with AA-metal, AS, US/UA.)

My flight dates are 8/23-9/3 fixed (returning Labor Day so I'm sure airfare is probably more expensive) and I only want non-stop. It's for 2 people also, by the way. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
(I believe the cards can be used for AS.)
They cannot be used for pure AS flights. We flew SJC-OGG and back last month, and GC was not an available payment option.

And, to answer the question above:

AA-metal means a flight on an AA plane (as opposed to a codshare on someone else's "metal")

AS = Alaska Airlines
UA = United Airlines
US = US Airlines

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mr&mrs
And if you buy an Executive Membership, you will get an additional 2% off the gift card purchase price (via annual rebate). Not to mention whatever other savings you can realize. Most of Costco's bulk inventory has long or indefinite shelf life, but there are non-bulk items, too... wine, jewelry, furniture, TVs, computers, tires, car batteries, eyeglasses... not to mention restaurant gift cards, movie tickets, insurance discounts...

I've been a member since the Price Club days, and I don't recall any kind of a membership promo or discount, at least not in recent years. But, unless you're the very rare person who can't realize sufficient purchase savings to offset the membership cost, it's already a really good deal.
Just to put a YMMV perspective on the Executive savings: At our Costco a business membership is $55 and Executive is $110, so I surprised myself by realizing that I have to spend $2750 just to get back the $55 extra I spent - only after that does the 2% start yielding me a profit. Obviously if you intend to buy at least 10 AA gift cards every year, the Executive upgrade is paid for even if you don't regularly shop there. But if that's all you buy, you will not be saving that extra 2% on your gift cards, just getting back the money you spent for Executive membership.

I think there are less expensive memberships upgrading from which would make the break-even even higher, but we had the business one so that caught my eye.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by brp
They cannot be used for pure AS flights. We flew SJC-OGG and back last month, and GC was not an available payment option.

AA-metal means a flight on an AA plane (as opposed to a codshare on someone else's "metal")

AS = Alaska Airlines
UA = United Airlines
US = US Airlines

Cheers.
Thank you! So now the JohnAx's post makes sense.

JohnAx: We only wanted non-stop so yes, there were cheaper flights but we don't want to stop. I appreciate you looking out for me though!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mr&mrs
I've been a member since the Price Club days, and I don't recall any kind of a membership promo or discount, at least not in recent years.
Not general promos, but targeted, yes. I joined because I got an offer for a free year of membership from AmEx about two or three years ago.

I think there are less expensive memberships upgrading from which would make the break-even even higher, but we had the business one so that caught my eye.
I'm pretty sure gold star and business memberships are the lowest level at $55. Still, two AA gift cards, and you're ahead by $5 (considering each gift card is discounted 10% or $30). For executive, the membership is an additional $55, but again, with each AA gift card selling at a $30 discount, I consider myself at break-even after 3 gift cards ($30+$30+$30+2% rebate on $810 = $106). I probably wouldn't join just for the gift cards, but throw in a set of tires or such, and executive membership is a good choice.

I'm glad the AA gift cards finally found their way to our RDU Costco - really a great deal, especially when combined with an occasional 10% off code for AA.

Last edited by HookemHorns; Apr 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by brp

AS = Alaska Airlines
UA = United Airlines
US = US Airlines

Cheers.
Ugh, Mrs. 777 & I were planning to use the GC's on this route/flight....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
...snip...

I'm pretty sure gold star and business memberships are the lowest level at $55. Still, two AA gift cards, and you're ahead by $5 (considering each gift card is discounted 10% or $30). For executive, the membership is an additional $55, but again, with each AA gift card selling at a $30 discount, I consider myself at break-even after 3 gift cards ($30+$30+$30+2% rebate on $810 = $106). I probably wouldn't join just for the gift cards, but throw in a set of tires or such, and executive membership is a good choice.
Agree: join Costco for $55, buy two gift cards (and use them wisely), you've paid for the year's membership.

Disagree: spend $55 more, buy two more gift cards. All you've done with that step is given Costco $55 for nothing - you could simply have bought the additional gift cards and spent the $55 on something nice for yourself. Executive membership makes sense only when you plan to spend more than $2750 at Costco each year. (2750 x .02 = 55.00).
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:26 am

Agree: join Costco for $55, buy two gift cards (and use them wisely), you've paid for the year's membership.

Disagree: spend $55 more, buy two more gift cards. All you've done with that step is given Costco $55 for nothing - you could simply have bought the additional gift cards and spent the $55 on something nice for yourself. Executive membership makes sense only when you plan to spend more than $2750 at Costco each year. (2750 x .02 = 55.00).
FYI- Costco will refund the difference in memberships if you sign up for Executive and don't reach the difference in rebate/gold star membership.

--wes
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by wesmanz
FYI- Costco will refund the difference in memberships if you sign up for Executive and don't reach the difference in rebate/gold star membership.

--wes
Costco will refund any membership fee entirely if you're not satisfied. But you have to ask, and it's a termination thing - not like 'here's $55, better luck next year'.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Costco will refund any membership fee entirely if you're not satisfied. But you have to ask, and it's a termination thing - not like 'here's $55, better luck next year'.
For the executive membership, they will refund the difference of the rebate less than the price difference and let you keep the executive membership. You can then turn around and renew without a lapse in membership. I've done this for a few years when I haven't quite met the spend at Costco to cover the difference.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:03 pm

Disagree: spend $55 more, buy two more gift cards. All you've done with that step is given Costco $55 for nothing - you could simply have bought the additional gift cards and spent the $55 on something nice for yourself.
True enough...Exec membership will not provide you a true net gain unless you spend $2750 per year at Costco. Worth a shot going in, though, if you think you might hit the threshold - they'll refund the membership difference at any time, but I don't believe they count pre-upgrade spending if you realize you're going to hit $2750 and want to upgrade.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
I don't understand.. Who DOESN'T spend at least $2750/yr at Costco? I go there multiple times a week, and never get out of there for less than $100 each visit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.