Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to increase fuel surcharge, AA Awards impacted?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:07 am
Original Poster

BA to increase fuel surcharge, AA Awards impacted?

British Airways will increase its fuel surcharge on longhaul services from Tuesday, February 8.

There will be no fuel surcharge increase to any British Airways’ shorthaul services.

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus tickets will increase by £12 per sector (£24 return).

First and Club World tickets will increase by £17 per sector (£34 return)

The move reflects the continuing substantial increase in the price of oil and a 14 per cent rise in the spot price of jet fuel since our last fuel surcharge increase in December 2010.

The change will mean:

* For World Traveller flights over nine hours an increase from £76 a sector to £88. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £63 a sector to £75.
* For World Traveller Plus flights over nine hours an increase from £94.50 a sector to £106.50. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £73 per sector to £85.
* For First and Club World flights over nine hours an increase from £108 per sector to £125. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £88 per sector to £105.
Does this mean that the fees on AA/BA TATL tickets are going to go up even higher?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Likely. Time will tell.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Guess I'll be avoiding BA on my upcoming trip to India...sadly I can't avoid BA on all award itineraries.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Further reason to avoid BA . . .
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
In addition it has been reported that previously exempt US taxes are now being charged for award tickets.
Originally Posted by hindukid
UPDATE: After some prodding I was able to speak directly with the AA rate desk. Turns out they had it right.

What they told me was that because I had a British Air segment from BRU-LHR they hit me with 35.50 fuel surcharge. But because of that the US gov't no longer considers this a free ticket. Therefore the gov't now insists that AA pay PFC, segment fees, hawaii tax and international arrival tax. So because the ticket is no longer free in the eyes of the US gov't, they are wanting an additional $40.90 from me.

Although I have noticed that BA website is still not charging any of these US taxes.
AA rate desk insists on charging award tix wrong (BA YQ surcharge leads to US taxes)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I just think the concept of fuel surcharges is just stupid, especially on paid travel. Fuel prices are another cost to an airline business, in addition to paying for staff, landing rights and airplanes. What's next? Charge a flight attendant surcharge?

Business expenses should be included in the ticket, they should not be a separate charge for it to create the illusion of a lower base fare.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat

I wish they'd revert to the way things were a year ago, when you couldn't redeem miles BA transatlantic from the US, but BA redemptions weren't YQ'ed up the butt.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Xero
What's next? Charge a flight attendant surcharge?
I wouldn't mind a flight attendant surchage if there was an option to not pay it and not require the services of a FA.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Increased co-pay fees for BA tickets using AAdvantage miles as of 08FEB11

Here we go again. In a press relase to boot: http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zht...cle&ID=1524818

For World Traveller [Y-cabin] flights over nine hours an increase from £76 a sector to £88. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £63 a sector to £75.
· For World Traveller Plus [W-cabin] flights over nine hours an increase from £94.50 a sector to £106.50. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £73 per sector to £85.
· For First [F-cabin] and Club World [J-cabin] flights over nine hours an increase from £108 per sector to £125. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £88 per sector to £105.
Of course, thanks to AA you now have to pay AA these "fuel" surcharges when claiming your miles for a flight on BA. I'm losing track, but a roundtrip flight from the west coast to continental europe in J-cabin on BA (the only AAdvantage overnight departures from anywhere west of ORD/DFW, with the exception of LAX) will now have a co-pay of $550. Yes, fivehundredandfifty US dollars, plus the usual 100,000 AAdvantage miles.

It's about time that they outlawed these "fuel" surcharges.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Yea. As far as I'm concerned, BA is not an option for me if I redeemed or fly over the pond. I consider this a weak partnership considering how much they devalue our miles and upgradability when it comes to losing one AA metal frequency to LHR via JFK.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I have a hold on an award seat in BA from LHR-JNB r/t. I called to confirm it this evening, and AA quoted total taxes/charges of $1,053!! That gave me pause for thought.

So I called my girlfriend, who's doing the exact same trip on her miles, to say maybe we should consider Iberia in J, and she said she'd "only" paid $693. For the exact same trip!!

I called AA back and they checked it, and came up with total taxes of...$693. Nearly $400 less than I'd been originally quoted. I asked if the error would have been noticed when I paid for the ticket, and the EXP lady said likely not. So, as I can't be the only one, there must be a number of errors in calculating the taxes/fuel surcharge, on BA, ex LHR, in a premium cabin.

Please ask for these charges to be double-checked, if you're using BA on an award.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I have a hold on an award seat in BA from LHR-JNB r/t. I called to confirm it this evening, and AA quoted total taxes/charges of $1,053!! That gave me pause for thought.

So I called my girlfriend, who's doing the exact same trip on her miles, to say maybe we should consider Iberia in J, and she said she'd "only" paid $693. For the exact same trip!!

I called AA back and they checked it, and came up with total taxes of...$693. Nearly $400 less than I'd been originally quoted. I asked if the error would have been noticed when I paid for the ticket, and the EXP lady said likely not. So, as I can't be the only one, there must be a number of errors in calculating the taxes/fuel surcharge, on BA, ex LHR, in a premium cabin.

Please ask for these charges to be double-checked, if you're using BA on an award.

Agree that at the end of the day the partnership is broken for those of us wanting to use miles. It's miles and fees with BA. Is AA desperate? And when I look at using IB from ORD it's flying "south" and then flying "north" back into Europe.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:22 pm

This whole fuel surcharge thing is causing people to avoid US-LHR route like a plague, and maybe causing people to gobble up other European routes.
I'm not seeing any J milesaaver seat from DFW to FRA, MAD, CDG, and etc over the next 6 months.
But sure enough, plenty are available for DFW-LHR flights.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jakuda

I wish they'd revert to the way things were a year ago, when you couldn't redeem miles BA transatlantic from the US, but BA redemptions weren't YQ'ed up the butt.
Remember the mantra... be careful what you wish for, you may get it

Redemptions cost more, but paid bookings in economy now earn more points. There are winners as well as losers in all of this; being able to upgrade BA is, for me, a great benefit since B class is not too expensive on the routes I would ever fly on BA

Some of us suggested when there was great excitement over the ATI that the airlines were not doing it for the customers' benefit but for their own benefits

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Some of us suggested when there was great excitement over the ATI that the airlines were not doing it for the customers' benefit but for their own benefits
Count me as one of those who never wanted ATI. I still can't believe people here think that good things will come from allowing corporations to consort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.