Wiki Posts
Search

Bank Direct to limit / cap AA miles on checking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa plat, marriot plat
Bank Direct to limit / cap AA miles on checking

Just got off the phone with Bank Direct. In March they will limit mile accrual to 20,000 mile per month.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:58 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Oh, this is terrible news. I've collected about 250,000 miles since August and will cross 2 million when my Bank Direct miles for Feb post. Sure glad they did not make this change earlier. If this is true, we will definitely be pulling our money out and expect lots of others will also. Thanks for the heads up, OP.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:24 am

If the federally insured limit is $250,000, which means 25,000 miles per month, then a reduction to 20,000 is not huge.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
When I exceed this limit a decade from now, I'll be furious.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:34 am

I would not feel the need to use DirectBank if the interest rates weren't so low in the first place.
I guess if they don't want any business over $200k deposit, then I'll just find something else.

Another option might be to buy a CD and cancel with 1% penalty.
So effectively buying one mile for a penny.
Wonder if anyone tried this before though.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mainbill
Another option might be to buy a CD and cancel with 1% penalty.
So effectively buying one mile for a penny.
Wonder if anyone tried this before though.
This has been mentioned, and BankDirect will notice if you do it.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
OP doesn't say 20,000 miles per what. If it is per BankDirect account, this is just an inconvenience, nothing more. For example, you could have one account personally, and one account joint with somebody else, and each could earn 20,000 miles per month.

If it is 20,000 miles per month maximum going into a particular AA frequent flyer account, that is more significant.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa plat, marriot plat
We'll know more when they put the new rules in print. For now someone else might call and post any additional info.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by Beane
We'll know more when they put the new rules in print. For now someone else might call and post any additional info.
I called and was told that, effective March 1, 2011, the monthly max will be 20,000 miles.

I did not ask if the max applied per AAdvantage account or per BankDirect account.

Edited to add: I wish I had enrolled in this offer months and months ago. I could have a new handle by now: AATwoMillionaire!

Last edited by AAMillionaire; Jan 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Would someone like to PM me how you maximize this bank to get more than a few thousand miles over time? Please?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:47 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Would someone like to PM me how you maximize this bank to get more than a few thousand miles over time? Please?
You may have already seen it, but there's also a consolidated thread with pretty detailed discussions about the program here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
This is not good news. I just opened an account with them and funded it to the tune of $270K. Yes I realize that is a tad above the FDIC insurance limit.

If the limit is per BD account no biggie, I will open a 2nd account joint with my wife.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by Beane
Just got off the phone with Bank Direct. In Ma?rch they will limit mile accrual to 20,000 mile per month.
For clarification, does this mean Bankdirect will still give out the same number of miles as before for average balance over $200K for the month of February (deposited first week of March) and then starting in March, no matter what your average balance for that month is will only give a max of 20K miles the first week of April?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
For clarification, does this mean Bankdirect will still give out the same number of miles as before for average balance over $200K for the month of February (deposited first week of March) and then starting in March, no matter what your average balance for that month is will only give a max of 20K miles the first week of April?
CSR I spoke with said for February you will earn your usual miles (uncapped) and then starting March 1st, earnings are capped at 20,000 miles per account, not per account holder; so for example you could take funds above $200K and put them into MMA for additional miles, albeit at a lower rate (50 miles per $1,000.)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still haven't seen confirmation that two accounts of the same account type will get 20K each. I have an account. My wife has an account. Both funnel miles to my AA account. Worst case, though, I'll just send half the miles to her account from now on. Makes my 2M harder to get . . .

But, fortunately, I had opened a BBVA account back in the day, so I can move more money back there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.