Wiki Posts
Search

AA/Avis 3,000 bonus miles for a 3-day rental

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
AA/Avis 3,000 bonus miles for a 3-day rental

This was not my find but rather the credit goes to rustyr from a post in the Q3 2010 Car Rental Bonus Promos! thread over in MilesBuzz!

Until recently the promo link below offered 1,750 bonus AA miles for a 3-day rental with Avis. It's now 3,000 bonus miles (on top of the base miles) for a 3-day rental. Note to those not familiar with Avis coupon codes: it is very rare that a coupon code for miles must accompany a specific AWD code. The T&C for this offer specifically state "Offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount." Notice you can get 1,000 bonus miles for a 1-2 day rental.

Save up to 35% with every Avis rental plus earn up to 3000 bonus miles

Avis Award: Save up to 35% with every Avis rental plus earn up to 3000 bonus miles

Dates: September 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010 EXPIRATION EXTENDED THROUGH FEB 15, 2011 see here.

Save up to 35% on all rentals with Avis in the US and Canada when you use your American Airlines Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) number K817165.
In addition, receive big miles depending on how long you rent with Avis :

* Rent for 1-2 days and receive 1000 bonus miles (plus your additional base miles)
* Rent for 3 days or more and receive 3000 bonus miles (plus your additional base miles)

Use coupon number MUAA022 and your AAdvantage number to receive your miles. Terms & Conditions apply.
Terms and Conditions
* 1000 and 3000 bonus miles are valid until December 31, 2010 on a qualifying rental at participating Avis airport locations in the United States and Canada.
* Offer of 1000 bonus miles is valid on daily and weekend rentals with a 1-2 day length of rental. Mention coupon MUAA022 to get this offer.
* Offer of 3000 bonus miles is valid on daily, weekly and weekend rentals with a 3 day minimum length of rental. Mention coupon MUAA022 to get this offer.
* Offer valid at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S. and Canada.
* Offer valid on all car groups.
* An advance reservation is required.
* Offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount.
* The savings of up to 35% applies to the time and mileage charges only. Use AWD K817165 to receive this discount.
* Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee, customer facility charges ($10/contract in CA) and fuel charges are extra.
* Optional items such as LDW ($35.99/day or less) and other surcharges may apply and are extra.
* Offer is subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times, including some online rates at Avis.com
* Car rental return restrictions may apply.
* Offer subject to change without notice.
* Holiday and other blackout periods may apply.
* Renter must meet Avis age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum rental age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old.
* Rental must begin by December 31, 2010. EXPIRATION EXTENDED THROUGH FEB 15, 2011 see here.

Last edited by Evan!; Dec 21, 2010 at 5:17 am
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Thanks - I had been using the US code to get 3,000 dividend miles which paired nicely with their 50% blockbuster bonus promo. Still, I'd rather have 3000 AA miles than 4500 US. I have updated all my future reservations to use this coupon code.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpauker
Thanks - I had been using the US code to get 3,000 dividend miles which paired nicely with their 50% blockbuster bonus promo. Still, I'd rather have 3000 AA miles than 4500 US. I have updated all my future reservations to use this coupon code.
You could replace bpauker with Evan! for this post

I have reached my target goal for my US balance with thanks to the 50% blockbuster promo. But that promo ended on July 31 so really we are comparing 3K US miles with 3K AA miles - no brainer. When that promo ended I started to top off my UA account using Earn 2500 bonus miles plus save up to 35%. I too have changed all my future reservations to use this AA coupon code.

But a heads up to those switching: US is having a partner promo and you can get "hits" with Avis rentals. Check out the thread Grand Slam 2010! over in the US forum. With that promo four 3-day rentals using the US/Avis 3K promo could earn one:
four 3-day rentals @ approximately 3,150 per rental = 12,600 + 4,000 Grand Slam miles = 16,600 miles
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Sometimes it pays to be snarky >:(

My letter to Avis via avis.com:
I just completed a rental. Conf# xxxxxxxxxxx. My Avis
receipt shows 50 frequent flier miles earned on my American Airlines
account. However I had a coupon in the reservation for 1,000 bonus
miles. That coupon number is MUAA022. The URL for the promotion is http://aav12.aavacations.com/Consume...dget/offer.htm

I rented one-day on the weekend. I used my BJ's AWD code.

Why did I get only 50 miles and not 1,050?

Evan! <avis account number>
The reply from Avis:
Evan!

The base points and Bonus points are awarded within 30-60 days after the rental is completed. Please allow time for the points to post to your
account.

Avis sincerely appreciates the business you have given us, and we look
forward to serving you again soon.

Jane Doe
Avis Customer Service Representative
[email protected]
1-800-352-7900
FAX: 918-270-2920

My counter reply:
Yes. I realize that the points won't post to my account for some time.
Did you actually read my email?

My receipt usually shows the total points that will post to my account
including any bonus from coupon codes. This receipt only showed 50 so I
am guessing I'll only get 50.

How about commenting on the details in my email about the coupon code I
used.

I really feel you have brushed me off with a "don't contact us again
until 60 days have passed". You could address the details of my email
but instead you took the easy way out. I'm not saying "I didn't get my
miles" I am saying that my receipt incorrectly reflects the miles I was
expecting.

I commend you on your excellent customer service. :( Gotta run. I have
an Avis car in the hotel parking lot and it's time for dinner. But hey,
don't worry about customer loyalty. I'm sure Avis will do fine
competing solely on price.

>:(
Act of contrition:
Dear Mr. Evan!,

Thank you for your reply, and we apologize that not all issues in your
previous correspondence were addressed.

Upon further review, I show you are correct; the bonus points have not
been accounted for. I have forward this information to our frequent
flyer department for further investigation and review. You will be
contacted with our findings once this information becomes available.

Again Mr. Evan!, we apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this
matter has caused, and we thank you for your patience while we work
toward a resolution.

Sincerely,

A Different Jane Doe
Avis Customer Service Representative
[email protected]
1-800-352-7900
FAX: 918-270-2920
The snarky wheel gets the oil.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO PLT, UA Exec Prem, Marriott Silver, SPG PLT, HHonors Diamond, AmEx PLT, Avis First
2 months... still waiting

I have had 6 rentals thus far with the 2,500/UA and 3,000/AA miles promotion since August 28th. Still zero miles posted to either account. Guess I'll just keep on waiting.

Have anyone's miles posted yet? If so, when was your return date?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dannyrube
I have had 6 rentals thus far with the 2,500/UA and 3,000/AA miles promotion since August 28th. Still zero miles posted to either account. Guess I'll just keep on waiting.

Have anyone's miles posted yet? If so, when was your return date?

Did your receipts reflect the 2500 and 3000 miles appropriately? If not then you might be in my boat. First there needs to be the correct accounting of the miles... second the miles need to be sent over to UA and AA.

FTR, I haven't had problems in years with coupon codes for US miles or DL miles. But for some reason I always have to fight for UA and AA miles from either Budget or Avis or both I am not going to say anything quite yet about the CO miles I am expecting.... too soon to start griping.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, National EE
I can confirm that every of my avis rental with the aa coupon does not post correctly. I have to either call CSR or email them after each rental to sort it out. A very tedious process such that I ended up emailing them now the same email everytime with the same contents except the different reservation number.

Actually, i think the problem lies with the one day rentals of 1000 bonus miles not posting properly because it works fine for the 3000 bonus miles for a 3 day rental portion of the offer.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zander86
I can confirm that every of my avis rental with the aa coupon does not post correctly. I have to either call CSR or email them after each rental to sort it out. A very tedious process such that I ended up emailing them now the same email everytime with the same contents except the different reservation number.

Actually, i think the problem lies with the one day rentals of 1000 bonus miles not posting properly because it works fine for the 3000 bonus miles for a 3 day rental portion of the offer.
This is good to know but I am confused. Every avis rental with an AA coupon does not post properly, you say. However you later say that the 3K AA bonus miles coupon works properly. So it's not every rental but rather every 1K rental. Correct?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:41 pm

me, too; me too.
Every 1,000 mile for 1 day has not posted properly.
Email has worked better than a call.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
I've used this coupon about 8 times. I've received only 50 points on my 1-day rentals also, but haven't yet complained. (I prefer to complain in bulk). However all of my 1-day rentals were less than 24 hours, but I was charged a minimum of 1-day. I suspect that because the rental was technically less than 1-day (even though I paid for a full day) that's why its not automatically posting. I've had 2 other >1 day but less than 2 day rentals post at 1,000 and 1 3-day post at 3,000.

Also, you don't have to use the AA AWD code for this coupon to work. They will tell you that, but I've never had a problem using my corporate one (which I'm required to use) instead.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
I've used this coupon about 8 times. I've received only 50 points on my 1-day rentals also, but haven't yet complained. (I prefer to complain in bulk). However all of my 1-day rentals were less than 24 hours, but I was charged a minimum of 1-day. I suspect that because the rental was technically less than 1-day (even though I paid for a full day) that's why its not automatically posting. I've had 2 other >1 day but less than 2 day rentals post at 1,000 and 1 3-day post at 3,000.
With Avis, less than a day is still a day. I've had 8-hour rentals qualify for 1-day minimum coupons.
Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
Also, you don't have to use the AA AWD code for this coupon to work. They will tell you that, but I've never had a problem using my corporate one (which I'm required to use) instead.
They tell you this on the phone? If so they haven't read the T&C. They clearly state: Offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount.

I don't think I have used an airline discount code for Avis or Budget in 5 years.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Since finding this thread I have had no problems. Right out of the gate I got the bonus miles to post with the original rental post. (see a couple of examples below)

I used the AA AWD code with the MUAA022 coupon code both times.

09/14/10 AVIS 2 DY DENVER INT'L APO 100 0 100
09/14/10 AVIS BONUS MILES 0 1,000 1,000

09/26/10 AVIS 2 DY APO SAN ANTONIO 100 0 100
09/26/10 AVIS BONUS MILES 0 1,000 1,000
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Evan!
This is good to know but I am confused. Every avis rental with an AA coupon does not post properly, you say. However you later say that the 3K AA bonus miles coupon works properly. So it's not every rental but rather every 1K rental. Correct?
Thats right. I might have confused some people with the first part of my post because. As you have corrected me, its only the 1k AA miles rental which are not posting properly.

On a side note, the tax in PA on FF miles is crazy. I have to pay 7.5% tax on FF miles on my rental receipt and it amounts to almost 4 dollars whenever you earn 3000 miles and it only happens with Avis, not other rental companies. Hs anyone had similar experiences?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Thats right. I might have confused some people with the first part of my post because. As you have corrected me, its only the 1k AA miles rental which are not posting properly.

On a side note, the tax in PA on FF miles is crazy. I have to pay 7.5% tax on FF miles on my rental receipt and it amounts to almost 4 dollars whenever you earn 3000 miles and it only happens with Avis, not other rental companies. Hs anyone had similar experiences?
The FF miles surcharge for domestic airline FF programs is common for almost all the rental agencies - not just Avis and not just PA

More in this thread: The car rental FF miles surcharge thread.

But AA seems to be the program that always has a caveat in the FF surcharge rules for several agencies. Not sure why AA is so different. When an agency posts the FF surcharge rules they quote the amount per day plus a max per rental and the usually follow this with a WN exception and almost always an AA exception (see below). FTR, Thrifty and Dollar just say something to the effect that "it varies by airline".

In the Hertz policies AA, DL, and UA are the exception:
"...when the renter chooses to receive miles in the American Airlines AAdvantage, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles or United Airlines Mileage Plus programs the Frequent Flyer Surcharge will be calculated based on the Federal Excise Tax expense incurred by Hertz..."
From the Avis & Budget policies it's just AA and DL that have an exception:
"...when the renter chooses to receive miles in the American Airlines AAdvantage program or the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles program, the frequent flyer surcharge will be calculated based on the federal excise tax expense incurred by Avis when it purchases miles from American Airlines or Delta Air Lines..."
And from the National & Alamo policies AA stands alone:
"When a renter chooses to receive miles in the American Airlines AAdvantage program, the Frequent Traveler Service Charge will be calculated based on the Federal Excise Tax (7.5%) expense incurred by National when it purchases miles from American Airlines."
It should be noted that one can avoid the surcharge by crediting points to a hotel program instead of a domestic airline program or by crediting miles to a foreign carrier's program.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by Evan!
They tell you this on the phone? If so they haven't read the T&C. They clearly state: Offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount.
I've been told that in person once, and on the phone once as well, although I normally do everything online. In both cases I said please just put it in anyway, and they did, and there were no problems. The AA website says to use both, but it technically doesn't say you have to, any more than you "have" to rent a car from Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.