Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:28 am

I read somewhere, maybe on his blog, that Gary Leff was talking to Randy Peterson, and they both seemed somewhat concerned that the lifetime status program at AA would end. I can't find the link now, but those two are generally more plugged in than the general public, so if they think there is a good chance of it ending soon, I would guess there is some basis.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by afraidofheights
I read somewhere, maybe on his blog, that Gary Leff was talking to Randy Peterson, and they both seemed somewhat concerned that the lifetime status program at AA would end. I can't find the link now, but those two are generally more plugged in than the general public, so if they think there is a good chance of it ending soon, I would guess there is some basis.
Is this the link you're referring to? Gary Leff was showing his statement about PTD miles and achieving 2MM status when he threw in a conversation with Randy Peterson.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...with-american/
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by afraidofheights
Does this hypotheses mean:

1. That those who are already 2mm and lifetime PLT. Or 1mm and LT Gold will lose that status, i.e. that LT status will be abolished?

or...

2. That those who are not yet 1 or 2mm and DO NOT YET have LT status, eg, are 875,000 miles, will need to fly 125K BIS to attain LT status?

I'm confused.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wildaboutmovies
Does this hypotheses mean:
1. That those who are already 2mm and lifetime PLT. Or 1mm and LT Gold will lose that status, i.e. that LT status will be abolished?
There is no general suspicion of this one.

2. That those who are not yet 1 or 2mm and DO NOT YET have LT status, eg, are 875,000 miles, will need to fly 125K BIS to attain LT status?
In terms of how exactly existing miles would be handled, your magic 8 ball is as good as any of ours. That's one possibility out of many.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: United 1K
Thank you FlyerTalk. My lifetime Gold elite status just posted after the "Sunday sweep".
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaguar
Thank you FlyerTalk. My lifetime Gold elite status just posted after the "Sunday sweep".
VERBATIM EMAIL from AA exec assistant:

I read the blog you sent. Interesting to read something like that from not-so-regular flyer. Generally we hear about the frustrations frequent flyers have because of those that have reached the Million Mile status by mostly partners, much like he mentions in his blog.

The Million Miler program is not something we advertise and is really somewhat of a programmatic exception. I don't believe you can even find any details about it online at AA.com, but if you were to call and ask about it, we would not keep anything from you, figuratively speaking. We would much rather see our members get the miles from flying with us, but whether you accomplish a million miles by flight or by partner - or non airline ticket credit card purchase - it's no easy feat, and I believe that is why we have always considered all miles posted to the account for that program.

As for any changes - the program has always been subject to it. As we all know, this is an ever-changing world/society/industry. We're always looking at our program to see if it is best suited for what we have going on today.

So, in essence, yes, perhaps they are thinking about ditching the CREDIT CARD PURCHASES and such in order to qualify for 1MM and each MM thereafter, on AA. Or maybe not. No definitive answer...
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:55 am

wildaboutmovies They mean #2 but take your pick because all parties are speculating and have been.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler

As for any changes - the program has always been subject to it. As we all know, this is an ever-changing world/society/industry. We're always looking at our program to see if it is best suited for what we have going on today.

So....basically and to sum up, those last 3 sentences don't tell us anything we didn't already know about AAdvantage; and similarly...NOTHING can be inferred or gleaned or assumed about the future of lifetime status from it.

Last edited by mileage junkie; Nov 8, 2010 at 4:11 pm
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mileage junkie
So....basically and to sum up, those last 3 sentences don't tell us anything we didn't already know AAdvantage; and similarly...NOTHING can be inferred or gleaned or assumed about the future of lifetime status from it.
Correct.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
This is simply like bouns that companies give to their employees. Nothing is gaurenteed, if you get it you get it, and if you don't, you simply don't.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

[I]...
Can this AA exec assistant help with arranging an AA presence at an AAdvantage Do in New York?

Last edited by HNL; Nov 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

[I]I read the blog you sent. Interesting to read something like that from not-so-regular flyer.
Did they not recognize you were EXP? Seems odd to call you a "not-so-regular flyer" unless you are a not-so-regular flyer.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Did they not recognize you were EXP? Seems odd to call you a "not-so-regular flyer" unless you are a not-so-regular flyer.
+1
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Originally Posted by Ritz
+1
I thought the Exec Assistant referred to the author of a Blog that the OP forwarded to AA, as being a Not-so-Regular-Flyer, not the OP himself.

That is the way I read it. Though I would like to read the blog itself but OP has not provided a link.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The link is in post #393.

The author of the blog has passed the 2,000,000 AAdvantage miles mark:
Im not a regular American Airlines flyer. Ive probably flown less than 20,000 actual paid butt-in-seat miles on American in the past 20 years. ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.