Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum

Just encountered this unacceptable fact with an AA phone agent when trying to change my last name on a ticket after a recent marriage. Of course I have identification in both my former name and last name, but I was not told until after the agent had changed my last name on the ticket that "please give me the confirmation code on my credit card." When I asked why, she said, "because the fee for changing your name is $150."

It took me another call and 30 extra minutes for them to change my name back on the ticket so that I wouldn't be charged (instead of, you know, waiving this charge)

What type of lowlife policy is this? Someone gets married, it's the same person, and they impose a $150 penalty on each reservation for this?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I am really surprised that could even change your name. AFAIK any name is not possible.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Of course I have identification in both my former name and last name...
If that's the case, why did you even bother trying to change the ticket?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
+1....
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why not just simply travel using the name originally booked as long as having the appropriate official ID in the maiden name?

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I am really surprised that could even change your name. AFAIK any name is not possible.
There is a difference in making the change where the passenger has not changed to changing the name to that of another person
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Correct, SABRE and Amadeus are both very sensitive with name-matching (for a regular reservation agent), and after you change the name in the PNR, the ticket must be exchanged. In simple terms, ticket exchange = change fee. SABRE does have the functionality to alter the name on both the PNR and ETKT in the same command, but it requires a specific permission (which is the 'ALTNAM' keyword in SABRE-speak) that only a supervisor or help desk agent would possess. In these cases you should immediately ask for a supervisor as there's nothing a res agent can do.

Apollo is the only system I've seen that will allow a res agent to change a name in a PNR, and a check-in agent can override and manually enter and select whatever E-ticket record to associate at check-in.

Last edited by denCSA; Jul 10, 2010 at 8:01 pm
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Changing a ticket costs $150, marriage has nothing to do with it. Ticket change fees are clearly posted on aa.com and in the ticketing rules. If you bought a full fare ticket you could have had it refunded and bought it with the new name.

I do not see what the issue is. AA told you in the ticketing rules that changes were $150. You wanted a change it costs $150.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
I am often suprised at the harshness of some poster's opinions on these matters. Surely most would not consider updating a ticket to the pax now legal name to be a "change"- it is the same pax, flying the same itinerary on the same date. I think most would imagine a change to be a change of flight, destination or date.
So, yes-- I think AA was stupid to alienate a customer over this and it isn't unreasonable for the op to be annoyed.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
My daughter (gold status) had a similar situation with a very different result.
Recently married, ticket in maiden name....but NO identification on her that showed her maiden name (she was on a return trip home and she had already changed her name on her AA account). AA made the change and did not charge her the change fee. She was quite relieved and grateful. Kudos to AA.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
I am often suprised at the harshness of some poster's opinions on these matters. Surely most would not consider updating a ticket to the pax now legal name to be a "change"- it is the same pax, flying the same itinerary on the same date. I think most would imagine a change to be a change of flight, destination or date.
So, yes-- I think AA was stupid to alienate a customer over this and it isn't unreasonable for the op to be annoyed.
Why is it now popular to class accurate responses to posts as being harsh?

I find it hard to believe that wanting to CHANGE the name on a booking is anything other than a CHANGE .

I also find it surprising that people would make a booking in a name other than the name which appears on the appropriate identification. The OP indicates that they do have identification in their maiden name so the issue seems to be a rant with no substance

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why is it now popular to class accurate responses to posts as being harsh?
Because it's not what they wanted to hear?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Member

"Why is it now popular to class accurate responses to posts as being harsh?"

Because the responses ARE harsh! It is ridiculous to think that there is any rational excuse to charge someone $150 to change their name on a ticket because they got married. Should the person have postponed their wedding?

Some posters on this board are automatically negative toward anyone making a complaint about American. It really gets tiresome.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by herrina
"Why is it now popular to class accurate responses to posts as being harsh?"

Because the responses ARE harsh! It is ridiculous to think that there is any rational excuse to charge someone $150 to change their name on a ticket because they got married. Should the person have postponed their wedding?

Some posters on this board are automatically negative toward anyone making a complaint about American. It really gets tiresome.
No, it's just that recent influx of posts whining that AA is sticking to their guns and are not granting "waivers and favors" is tiring at best.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:01 pm

Agreed! And have ben guilty of it myself.

Originally Posted by herrina

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.