Search

Upgrading on a BA flight using miles transferred from AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Upgrading on a BA flight using miles transferred from AA

Hi -

Considering attempting the following:

I have a flight from LAX to LHR on AA. I have a connecting flight from LHR to CAI on BA. My EVP upgrade was confirmed on the AA segment but I know the EVP won't apply to the BA flight. However, I was considering transferring miles from my AA account to my BA Executive Club account for an upgrade. Has anyone ever attempted this successfully before?

Thank you in advance -

RO
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by ruckover
I have a flight from LAX to LHR on AA. I have a connecting flight from LHR to CAI on BA. My EVP upgrade was confirmed on the AA segment but I know the EVP won't apply to the BA flight. However, I was considering transferring miles from my AA account to my BA Executive Club account for an upgrade. Has anyone ever attempted this successfully before?
I'm not sure how you're planning on transferring the miles? Any indirect route I've looked at comes at way less than a 1:1 transfer.

Another point to be careful of is you can only upgrade BA tickets purchased directly from BA - at this point you can't even upgrade travel agent tickets using miles. If your LHR-CAI sector is part of an AA ticket I would check the eligibility before moving the miles.

Last edited by bernardd; Jan 18, 2010 at 9:37 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
As bernardd said, how do you plan to transfer the miles? There is no direct transfer option and anything like Points.com or other programmes result in a significant loss of value. Either buy up your fare to fly in biz, or accept that you might be stuck in coach
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

I had considered using Hilton to make the transfer, but I had not realized the exchange rate was so low. I'll have to look into the cost of paying for an upgrade. Thanks for the responses.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I had considered using Hilton to make the transfer, but I had not realized the exchange rate was so low. I'll have to look into the cost of paying for an upgrade. Thanks for the responses.

You can convert AA miles to HHonors points, but - to my knowledge - you can't then convert HHonors points to BA miles.

If you have enough AA miles, why not just try to book a J award ticket from LHR to CAI?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria

You can convert AA miles to HHonors points, but - to my knowledge - you can't then convert HHonors points to BA miles.

If you have enough AA miles, why not just try to book a J award ticket from LHR to CAI?
According to the Honors website, you can convert from points to miles on British Airways. Have not tried it yet though.

I would have booked an award ticket but a coach class ticket was already purchased for me by my employer.

Thanks for the response.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
According to the Honors website, you can convert from points to miles on British Airways. Have not tried it yet though.

I would have booked an award ticket but a coach class ticket was already purchased for me by my employer.

Thanks for the response.
According to the Honors website, the exchange rate for Hilton points to BA miles is 10,000 Hilton points will yield 1,000 BA miles. Combined with the AA miles to Hilton points exchange rate (2 HH points / AA mile), you get a rate of one BA mile for 5 AA miles.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the response.
?? I just looked at the Hhonors website and couldn't find this . . .
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:28 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bdemaria
?? I just looked at the Hhonors website and couldn't find this . . .
I think it's on this page: http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...ntsformiles.do

British Airways is listed as an eligible partner. The page gives exchange rates for specific programs, but then at the bottom, the last table is for "Conversion rates for all other partners."
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
FWIW, you can pay for upgrades at the BA lounge at LHR. (Not sure if you can buy it online since your ticket is booked through AA)

Last summer I bought an upgrade from Y-Y+ on a LHR-JNB flight for around 200Euro.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
FWIW, you can pay for upgrades at the BA lounge at LHR.
subject to availability . . . .
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
FWIW, you can pay for upgrades at the BA lounge at LHR. (Not sure if you can buy it online since your ticket is booked through AA)

Last summer I bought an upgrade from Y-Y+ on a LHR-JNB flight for around 200Euro.
bet that 200e was well spent
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Doh! Sorry, a point I should have made before is, just like AA, you can only upgrade one class, however because BA has Y+, if you're booked in Y by AA, even if an upgrade is posible, you'll only be able to upgrade to Y+, not to Business (Club World in BA-speak) - the only upside is BA doesn't charge co-pays.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bernardd
Doh! Sorry, a point I should have made before is, just like AA, you can only upgrade one class, however because BA has Y+, if you're booked in Y by AA, even if an upgrade is posible, you'll only be able to upgrade to Y+, not to Business (Club World in BA-speak) - the only upside is BA doesn't charge co-pays.
Good intel - thanks. Y+ on BA is coach with extra leg room, right?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For information, there is a more efficient path to transfer AA miles to BA. However, it only works if you have a US issued Diners Club Mastercard, and it's best used during the upredictable annual Club Rewards to BAEC promotion, which is running now.

+50,000 AAdvantage miles (maximum annual redemption)
=25,000 Diners Club Rewards points (pay $30 fee)
=37,500 BAEC miles (reflects 50% bonus, $23.75 fee)

Note that Diners Club cards issued in the USA and Canada are Mastercards, and do not have the limited merchant acceptance of Diners issued elsewhere. Unfortunately, it is not possible today to apply for a personal Diners Club card in the USA or Canada. However, Citi recently sold the franchise to Bank of Montreal and it is assumed they will resume accepting applications after they digest the acquisition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.