Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can edit this post to update or correct; minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.

Link to AA East Coast Travel Policy / Weather Waivers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 (Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Print Wikipost

East Coast Travel Alert 21-22 Jan 2014 & Weather Waiver

Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

US has weather waiver - AA doesn't?

Am I reading the websites correctly that US Airways has a waiver for tomorrow for JFK and DCA but American does not?

Isn't that a bit strange?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2014 at 4:02 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a link on the front page of aa.com:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...#!travelPolicy
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I wonder if AA intentionally makes it hard to see

US has a bright red banner at the top of the page; AA has a grey banner in the middle of the page below the fold. I suspect that AA is intentionally making this hard to see.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I could have missed it. I went back in and did see it but it is harder to see than the US Airways version.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:55 pm

East Coast Travel Alert 21-22 Jan 2014

This snowstorm came out of nowhere for me! Hadn't been watching the weather and then looked today and saw the storm coming along. Was watching for an alert this morning and then it popped up this afternoon. So FYI. Looks like it could be a real mess for DC, amongst other places.

Link to AA Travel Policy

Information is current as of January 20, 2014

Eastern U.S. Travel Policy

Due winter weather in the Eastern U.S., American Airlines offers customers the convenience to change their plans. Customers ticketed to travel to or from the airports listed may change flights as shown below.

If you are traveling to, through or from:
Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Boston, MA (BOS)
Charleston, WV (CRW)
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
New York Kennedy, NY (JFK)
New York LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Richmond, VA (RIC)
Washington Dulles, VA (IAD)
Washington Reagan Nat'l, DC (DCA)
Westchester County / White Plains, NY (HPN)

On the following dates: January 21-22, 2014
And your ticket was issued no later than: January 20, 2014
You may travel: January 20-24, 2014
Original inventory required? No

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.

To change travel dates, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2014 at 3:35 pm Reason: insert link to AA Travel Policy page
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here is the UPDATED NWS
Warning:

Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 4:52 AM EST on January 21, 2014

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from noon today to 6 am
EST Wednesday...

* locations... New York City and western Long Island.

* Hazard types... heavy snow and blowing snow.

* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches.

* Winds... north 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

* Wind chills... as low as 10 below zero late tonight.

* Temperatures... highs in the mid 20s this morning... dropping
into the lower teens tonight.

* Visibilities... one quarter mile or less at times this afternoon
into tonight.

* Timing... snowfall will begin late this morning and will continue
through tonight... tapering off early Wednesday morning. The
heaviest snowfall will occur late this afternoon into tonight.

* Impacts... falling... blowing... and drifting snow will cause
hazardous travel and walking conditions across the
area... impacting the late afternoon and evening commute. Snow
removal will be difficult this afternoon through tonight.
Prolonged exposure to frigid cold and low wind chills could
cause frost bite. Dress appropriately.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow
are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra flashlight... food...
and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Last edited by ESpen36; Jan 21, 2014 at 5:37 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
US has a bright red banner at the top of the page; AA has a grey banner in the middle of the page below the fold. I suspect that AA is intentionally making this hard to see.
Little tinfoily, don't you think? AA needs to reaccomodate these people anyways, so it is in their best interest to have them change so the backlog afterwards is better.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I am scheduled to fly tomorrow CDG-JFK-DCA.
Obviously both JFK and DCA are on the list.
I don't think the 767 will have any trouble getting into JFK.
It is the Eagle JFK-DCA that I'm concerned about.
JFK-DCA is cancelled already on the afternoon and evening service on DL and US has cancelled some shuttles and DL has cancelled everything from LGA after 1pm to DCA.
UA has cancelled several of their JFK/EWR/LGA-DCA/IAD/BWI flights as well.

I am fairly confident that Eagle will cancel. JFK-DCA is a 50-50 prospect on a good day. I know AA will let me make a change but they are being rather strict about what I can change to without any cancellations.

For example no change to the CDG-LHR-IAD codeshare operated by BA booked as AA without a cancellation. They can route me via DFW or MIA but that is a lot longer trip with 3-4 hour layovers and 8 hour later arrivals.

If the domestic section JFK-DCA is cancelled in advance, does EU261 require AA to book me on the AF or UA non-stop CDG-IAD or at least the AA codeshare CDG-LHR-IAD operated on BA?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've noticed when there is a big weather event, AA will do a blast cancellation of flights all at one time but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe the good folks at American Eagle know something their counterparts at the other airlines don't
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
It is the Eagle JFK-DCA that I'm concerned about. JFK-DCA is cancelled already on the afternoon and evening service on DL and US has cancelled some shuttles and DL has cancelled everything from LGA after 1pm to DCA.
UA has cancelled several of their JFK/EWR/LGA-DCA/IAD/BWI flights as well...

I am fairly confident that Eagle will cancel. JFK-DCA is a 50-50 prospect on a good day. I know AA will let me make a change but they are being rather strict about what I can change to without any cancellations.
I just had to deal with this myself. Was on the 9:30 PM eagle back to DC. Due to weather changed to Wed 11 AM eagle flight. Have you called AA? This should not be a big deal to get changed. They have the weather advisory up (which I posted in its own thread) which means you can change pre-emptively. Finding a hotel near JFK for tomorrow will be another matter. Watched the JFK Hilton jump from wide open to sold out in about 2 hours this afternoon. Good luck.

Edit: Thanks to JDiver for the prompt cleanup and consolidation of these threads. You are amazing!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Little tinfoily, don't you think? AA needs to reaccomodate these people anyways, so it is in their best interest to have them change so the backlog afterwards is better.
Tin foil or no it was a terrible web design decision. I was specifically looking for this announcement since I am scheduled to fly MAD-JFK-BWI tomorrow, 1/22, and I couldn't find it. Never did find the link until I came to this thread.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:04 am

UA or AA to DCA

AA cancelled my flight and then my rebooked flight to DCA and BWI. Now have the last flight of the night from DFW. Have another reservation on UA from IAH (again last flight). Thinking the snow will be clear out by then, but equipment might not be in the right place. But need to make a decision soon about which to do.

Also worried if I wait too long it will impact my ability to get Wednesday. Thoughts on whether AA or UA better chance of getting out?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by dhacker
Tin foil or no it was a terrible web design decision. I was specifically looking for this announcement since I am scheduled to fly MAD-JFK-BWI tomorrow, 1/22, and I couldn't find it. Never did find the link until I came to this thread.
If you were "specifically looking for it", then googling either of "American Airlines Travel Advisory" OR "American Airlines Travel Alert" produces the page as the first hit. This page is ALWAYS up on AA.com and in fact you can bookmark it if you want to. It's just that they only populate it with any real material when an event is happening. Just FYI. I was checking pre-emptively throughout the afternoon yesterday so I could jump on it when the advisory finally popped up.

Anyhow if you are on 3304 JFK-BWI 1/22 at 4:35 it's still showing live, not cancelled. Plane is coming into JFK from Norfolk, which I don't believe is getting much snow. So with luck you should be OK!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by mintwood
AA cancelled my flight and then my rebooked flight to DCA and BWI. Now have the last flight of the night from DFW. Have another reservation on UA from IAH (again last flight). Thinking the snow will be clear out by then, but equipment might not be in the right place. But need to make a decision soon about which to do.

Also worried if I wait too long it will impact my ability to get Wednesday. Thoughts on whether AA or UA better chance of getting out?
I assume that you are in Texas at this point; I'm in Washington DC. It started to snow here about 10 AM, and the storm is expected to continue until 10 PM/midnight. The temperature is about 30 now, but expected to drop 15-20 degrees before tomorrow morning. I would be surprised if DCA remains open this evening, though at least the early afternoon should be OK.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck1
I am scheduled to fly tomorrow CDG-JFK-DCA.
Obviously both JFK and DCA are on the list.
I don't think the 767 will have any trouble getting into JFK.
Why do you think this? My 762 redeye from LAX-JFK was diverted to IAD the morning of Jan 3, when the airport closed. This was followed by a 3 hour baggage wait, and AA sending people on a 5 hour bus ride to JFK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.