Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AWARD DESK: Information about AA, Partner, and oneworld Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

We have started this new sticky post to help members navigate more easily to the appropriate awards threads below. Please send any feedback, corrections, and additions via the Alert Moderator to Post icon on the lower left. Thank you and enjoy!

This thread is now obsolete, and has been closed and archived.

The AA Forum Moderator Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAdvantage Travel Awards

AAdvantage miles can be redeemed for three distinct classes of travel awards, each of which has different mileage costs and rules:
  1. AA Awards - These awards are redeemed on AA flights only and can be booked online via AA.com. All AA Awards are now booked on a one-way basis. AAnytime Awards book into full fare inventory classes and are available on any flight that is not sold out. MileSAAver Awards require half as many miles as AAnytime Awards, but have limited availability and other restrictions. Dynamic Air Awards are available to AAdvantage elite members only for Economy class travel, and require fewer miles than AAnytime Awards, depending on current flight bookings. Reduced Mileage Awards are available to AAdvantage-branded credit card holders, and require fewer miles than MileSAAver Awards, with destinations varying quarterly, but can only be booked via phone. AA Awards are still subject to certain taxes and fees, which are generally $5.00 per ticket for domestic destinations, but can be much higher for international destinations and on some airlines, notably British Airways.

AA Award Chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp

2. oneworld and Other Airline Awards (previously branded "Partner Airline Awards") - These awards are redeemed on one or more AA partner airlines (and can include AA flight segments as well as flights on certain non-oneworld partner airlines). Currently, only awards with AA, AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, QF, and US segments can be booked online via AA.com, while itineraries involving any other partner airline must be booked by phone. Partner Airline Awards are booked on a one-way basis and mileage costs vary by origin and destination. Availability is limited based on AA MileSAAver inventory or the partner airline equivalent, and there is no corresponding AAnytime version of this award. Partner Airline Awards are still subject to certain taxes and fees, which can be significant for international destinations, especially when traveling on BA. (N.B. on International awards, the North American international gateway stopover is no longer allowed, as of 8 Apr 2014.

Partner Airline List: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp
    Partner Airline Award Chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp

3. oneworld Explorer Awards (previously branded "oneworld Awards") No longer bookable as of 8 APR 2014 (previously booked awards are stil in effect) - These awards were redeemed on multiple oneworld airlines (at least two), often for round-the-world travel, and can only be booked by phone. oneworld Explorer Awards are generally booked as multi-city itineraries adhering to special routing restrictions and mileage costs vary depending on the total distance traveled. Availability is limited based on AA MileSAAver inventory or the partner airline equivalent, and there is no corresponding AAnytime version of this award. oneworld Explorer Awards are still subject to certain taxes and fees, which can be significant for international destinations, especially when traveling on BA.

FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html

Award Information and Assistance Threads

Please click on the appropriate thread below for additional information and assistance in booking your awards:

General Award Info (Help Desk style)

AA MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Assistance & Discussion

AA Partner Airline Award (now oneworld and Other Airline Award) Rules

AA Explorer Award (previously oneworld Award) Rules

Specific Award Routes and Partner Airlines

AA Credit Card Reduced Mileage Awards

Partner Awards - Bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF)

AA & Partner Awards - Ticket changes involving co-terminals

CX / Cathay Pacific First / Business Class Award Availability

TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions with AAdvantage Miles

QF/ Qantas First / Business Class Award Availability

AA Partner Awards to/from Australia - Availability & Routings

AAdvantage Program Award Updates

New AA One-Way Flex Awards, Stopover Rule, Booking Engine (from May 2009)

New AA Dynamic Air Awards for Elites (from Aug 2011)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2014 at 4:49 pm Reason: AY and US now searchable / no more Explorer awards
Old May 3, 2013, 12:34 pm

Is it possible to get a stopover on an international award?

And which way would I ask?

I want to go to London and Helsinki this fall with miles. There are flights with reasonable mileage costs available. Many flights to/from Helsinki go through London. In fact, many AA flights to European cities go through London. Can I get a stopover (either in London or Helsinki or some place else like St. Petersburg) under AA rules? I don't care which city I visit first and which last.

Thank you
Old May 3, 2013, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Halle8
And which way would I ask?

I want to go to London and Helsinki this fall with miles. There are flights with reasonable mileage costs available. Many flights to/from Helsinki go through London. In fact, many AA flights to European cities go through London. Can I get a stopover (either in London or Helsinki or some place else like St. Petersburg) under AA rules? I don't care which city I visit first and which last.

Thank you
If you mean over 24 hours, then no, you need two separate awards. Stopover is only allowed in US gateways that are the stop before your next international flight, or right after you arrive from an international city.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Did you try the search function for stopover?
Most European flights may go through London, and you can stay there as long as its under 24hrs for your connection to Helsinki. There is a seasonal ORD-HEL flight though. All AA international award travel are allowed a stopover to/from the US gateway city.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
If you mean over 24 hours, then no, you need two separate awards. Stopover is only allowed in US gateways that are the stop before your next international flight, or right after you arrive from an international city.
I understand that if you flight originates in the US and goes overseas, for some unknown reason you are only allowed a domestic stopover. But what if my flight ORIGINATES in Europe? Say it originates in St. Petersburg, Russia or Helsinki? Can I than make a stopover in London before I get to NYC?

Is there any way of doing it?
Old May 3, 2013, 1:37 pm

I understand that if you flight originates in the US and goes overseas, for some unknown reason you are only allowed a domestic stopover. But what if my flight ORIGINATES in Europe? Say it originates in St. Petersburg, Russia or Helsinki? Can I than make a stopover in London before I get to NYC?

Unfortunately, nope. When you fly from Europe, you can get a stopover in the US gateway, but not any cities in Europe.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

No, the stopover must be your last or first stop in North America (with restrictions), doesn't matter where you originate. There is no European/Asia/otherwise stopover plan at the moment.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Stopovers in Europe (and elsewhere) are permitted on AA's distance-based "Explorer" awards. On AA's zone-based one-way international awards, however, the only stopover permitted is at the itinerary's North American gateway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.