Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge in Vancouver (YVR) for transborder?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Lounge in Vancouver (YVR) for transborder?

Hi,

I'm planning on flying HP ( F class) from YVR to PHX in early December for a weekend ( after coming over from the UK).

Is there a lounge in the transborder area that HP F pax can use ( even if it is a pay as you go?)

On my return from PHX I should be able to get lounge access with my Priority Pass Card.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I'm planning on flying HP ( F class) from YVR to PHX in early December for a weekend ( after coming over from the UK).

Is there a lounge in the transborder area that HP F pax can use ( even if it is a pay as you go?)

On my return from PHX I should be able to get lounge access with my Priority Pass Card.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

TBS
Hi TBS,

I believe the HP lounge at T4 PHX will get you free access if you are flying on a paid F ticket. HP FF members can gain access for $20, all others $35 per visit.

Also FYI, there will be no meal on your yvr-phx flight I'm afraid. You'll get a packet of "gourmet mix" with free drinks, and a nice comfy blue leather seat (are you flying a 732 on this route?). IFE will consist of video of the game "cranium", but can't remember if this IFE is 'bus specific or not.

Hope this helps

Ian
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi ian,

THanks very much for your reply.

I will make sure that I carry on some " snacks " for the flights.

The flight time table shows a 737-300 ( unless connecting in LAS on the return when LAS-YVR is a A319.

Looks like I will be " loungeless in Vancouver" on my outbound

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
The flight time table shows a 737-300
My bad TBS--HP retired their 732 dinosaurs last year. Their 733's aren't bad, just avoid 1 AB as you'll have to deal with a lot of incoming foot traffic, a small OSB, and unasked-for gratuitious shots of f/a's
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
You could always purchase a one-time pass to the Alaska Airlines Board Room. It is $25 (US).
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by enviroian
Their 733's aren't bad,
You're kidding right? The 733's are aweful. The panels and the seats are old and the cabin seems darker than the A320's.

just avoid 1 AB as you'll have to deal with a lot of incoming foot traffic, a small OSB, and unasked-for gratuitious shots of f/a's
That's an elite perk. ^
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
You could always purchase a one-time pass to the Alaska Airlines Board Room. It is $25 (US).
definitely your best option. it's right near the HP gates.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Good Idea. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
You're kidding right? The 733's are aweful
Actually Byrd it was a relative statement in comparison to their old Wright Flyer, er, I mean 732
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This depends on how quickly everything is integrated with US, but since the new US is/will be a Star Alliance (*A) carrier, and the OP is BMI Gold which Star Gold (*G) in *A. He will be entitled to use any *G lounge. This includes the AC MapleLeaf Lounge in the transborder terminal of YVR (pier E which is a very nice lounge self service bar overlooks the gates decent views for plane spotting), and all of the USAir Clubs.

Since the HP clubs in PHX are going to become USAir Clubs as a non-US/UA *G he and a guest will be able to use them even on a domestic or transborder flight. Regardless of your class of travel.

This is one of the nicest benefits to being *G, lounge access. US/UA *G have slightly different rules for lounge access. This rules do not apply if you have *G on any other carrier.

US and UA *G only have lounge access on an International Ticket. US currently requires you to be leaving North America to gain entry as a US *G to the USAir Clubs. UA on the other hand just requires you to be leaving the United States to gain access to the Red Carpet Clubs.

Based on what is published on *A website you should be able to get into any other carrier's *G lounge on a domestic ticket. Never tried it because I've always been on an Int. itnerary when I've flown through an terminal that has a *G lounge that is not a USAir Club or an RCC.

If you are on a paid Int. F or C ticket, and are not *G you still have lounge access. Int C tickets are not permitted a guest while Int F are.

Unfortunately both UA & US do not consider F on a transborder flight to be Int F or C.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
This depends on how quickly everything is integrated with US, but since the new US is/will be a Star Alliance (*A) carrier, and the OP is BMI Gold which Star Gold (*G) in *A.
there's practically zero chance of * access by December.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
there's practically zero chance of * access by December.
At this point anything's possible...they are supposed to be merging the clubs beginning of Oct....and loading the full codeshare between HP & US by the first week in Dec. They have already indicated that you will be able to earn HP or US miles until they merge the two programs on any HP or US flight.

The OP is a BMI *G. It all depends on how the rest of the alliance recognizes the combined entity. As Parker has said, begining of Oct they are going to market everything as US. If the flight he is boarding is recognized as a US flight, he should have * privilleges. My guess is they will operate it as US flight 1234 operated by XXXX. As long as AC recognizes it as a US flight, he will have lounge access.

If the OP was an HP elite, I'd say your probably right. I doubt by Dec HP elites will be able to have * privilleges, but the OP is a BMI Gold, so if they are marketing it as a US flight. He should gets lounge access in YVR at the MapleLeaf Lounge and if the sign is on the door in PHX due to *G. In PHX, since it will be a US club, and on a US/HP flight. My guess is if the *G sign is on the door he will have access on his current ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:13 am
Suspended

Definetly the Alaska lounge. It does close early if I recall. Around 7 or 8pm..
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by wr_schwab

If the OP was an HP elite, I'd say your probably right. I doubt by Dec HP elites will be able to have * privilleges, but the OP is a BMI Gold, so if they are marketing it as a US flight. He should gets lounge access in YVR at the MapleLeaf Lounge and if the sign is on the door in PHX due to *G. In PHX, since it will be a US club, and on a US/HP flight. My guess is if the *G sign is on the door he will have access on his current ticket.
you're potentially right, provided he can book a US-coded flight in time.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I will probably book the HP flight ( credit the miles to VS) and use the Alaska lounge ( depending on when I get through US customs/immigration at YVR) for $25.

flight is about 2pm IIRC so will have lunch before boarding.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.