Wiki Posts
Search

American West Express/Mesa Air FA's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
American West Express/Mesa Air FA's

As a HP plat, I obviously spend more than my share of time in the air. The almost all of my travel is one mainline planes.

This morning, I flew on one of the RJ's and was really turned off by the FA annoucement banter. All of the usual announcements were accompanied by the FA's personal commentary and included things that apparently the FA found funny or at least amusing.

Now, I started my day very early on a mainline jet and connected to the RJ for my last leg. When I got on the plane, it didn't take me long to remember how cramped these are (I hadn't been on one since the F seats were removed). It was hot while we were sitting in PHX and I admit, I was feeling a bit cranky.

However, I found the banter (a la Southwest) extremely unprofessional. (i.e. "for those of you that havent been in a car since 1960, to fasten your seatbelt....."). The announcements may be stupid but if those are the regulations, just do what you are suppossed to do.

Is this typical of Mesa Air or just one of those crews?

I obviously was not amused but maybe I am too stiff.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
As a HP plat, I obviously spend more than my share of time in the air. The almost all of my travel is one mainline planes.

This morning, I flew on one of the RJ's and was really turned off by the FA annoucement banter. All of the usual announcements were accompanied by the FA's personal commentary and included things that apparently the FA found funny or at least amusing.

Now, I started my day very early on a mainline jet and connected to the RJ for my last leg. When I got on the plane, it didn't take me long to remember how cramped these are (I hadn't been on one since the F seats were removed). It was hot while we were sitting in PHX and I admit, I was feeling a bit cranky.

However, I found the banter (a la Southwest) extremely unprofessional. (i.e. "for those of you that havent been in a car since 1960, to fasten your seatbelt....."). The announcements may be stupid but if those are the regulations, just do what you are suppossed to do.

Is this typical of Mesa Air or just one of those crews?

I obviously was not amused but maybe I am too stiff.
You know, funny you should mention this. I feel the same way everytime I'm on a HPEX jungle jet. The last flight I was on last month from Dallas the f/a offered similiar, extraneous banter I found not amusing. She was mixing the safety demo with jokes (like you said, ala WN) and wasn't amused in the slightest. Granted, having a 1/2" of cushion for your butt doesn't help the situation either
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
enviroian:

Thanks for making me feel that I am not crazy.

It's not the biggest problem over at HP, but just the same, I will write to HP and give them my 2 cents on the matter.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:50 pm

Programs: U*S Chairman 2008 (2006 = 248,000 Actual Miles on HP) Hilton HHonors Diamond CO OnePass Platinum
Gota Love Mesa! (NOT)

Being a HP Triple Platinum this year, I refuse to fly Mesa. Nothing against the Mesa Employee. I have a major problem as an AWA Shareholder, The contract between Mesa and America West requires AWA to pay Mesa for any open Seats. This causes Mesa to earn revenue on all seats on all planes. (Is this Fair? From a Mainline (AWA) point NO! From a MESA Yes) the only problem is I’m on the other side of the fence on this issue. Since it is MY Company that is spending extra money to pay Mesa. I understand the Hub and Spoke and the Feeder and RJ Business Models. The only good think is that the Mesa Deal will change with merger. I don’t think East Shore Holdings (DBA Air Wisconsin) is going to allow Mesa to keep flying after they put up some $$.

I also find it amusing that when a...

RJ arrives early the FA says Thank you for flying America West Express operated by Mesa.

RJ arrives LATE the FA says Thank you for flying America West Express.

That’s my two cents
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HPDTW
I also find it amusing that when a...

RJ arrives early the FA says Thank you for flying America West Express operated by Mesa.

RJ arrives LATE the FA says Thank you for flying America West Express.
I always wondered why I never hear "operated by Mesa" Are those things EVER on time?

Lance
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: HP/US
The N is silent!

I can't wait until we are known as USAirways--I won't have to hear AMERICAN West anymore. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by snokums925
I can't wait until we are known as USAirways--I won't have to hear AMERICAN West anymore. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Hey the website even had it for quite a while. I think they just got it fixed. It's one of those things like when I type Divdend Miles, about 85% of the time I type "Divident" instead of Dividend. Natural finger movement or something.

Lance
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:49 am

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Hey the website even had it for quite a while. I think they just got it fixed. It's one of those things like when I type Divdend Miles, about 85% of the time I type "Divident" instead of Dividend. Natural finger movement or something.

Lance
I noticed that "typo" on the site the day it came out and so did every other employee that saw it. The reason was explained that when John Public searches "American West" because they know nothing about HP, it would come up. What a shocl...when you Google "American West", guess what is the first listing--America West Airlines.
I still thought it was pretty silly to have that on the site but it all made sense after that!
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Hey the website even had it for quite a while. I think they just got it fixed. It's one of those things like when I type Divdend Miles, about 85% of the time I type "Divident" instead of Dividend. Natural finger movement or something. . .
That is so strange -- I do exactly the same thing -- every time.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by snokums925
I noticed that "typo" on the site the day it came out and so did every other employee that saw it. The reason was explained that when John Public searches "American West" because they know nothing about HP, it would come up. What a shocl...when you Google "American West", guess what is the first listing--America West Airlines.
I still thought it was pretty silly to have that on the site but it all made sense after that!
Well either the designers don't know what they are doing or they were fibbing because there are ways to put keywords in without having it blatantly displayed on the website. I do this all the time with sites to catch the typos.

It's no biggie and it will be going the way of the dodo soon....

Lance
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
As an HP Plat you should know the name of the airline.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
I kind of like the banter...

...honestly, I'm on Mesa RJ about 4-6 times a month and it's occasionally nice to hear something other than the same old "your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device" line that I've been able to recite since I was 12.

At this point, they ought to just say "If you haven't been on a plane before, press your call button and a flight attendant will come and tell you all about it..." @:-)

My worst Mesa FA was a young woman who didn't have an adequate command of the English language. She was completely unintelligible and was a safety hazard.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:48 am
21D

Programs: AA/SPG/Hertz Gold HH/HPSilver
[QUOTE=mallthus]...honestly, I'm on Mesa RJ about 4-6 times a month and it's occasionally nice to hear something other than the same old "your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device" line that I've been able to recite since I was 12.

At this point, they ought to just say "If you haven't been on a plane before, press your call button and a flight attendant will come and tell you all about it..." @:-)

I too have experienced the "exWN" FA on Mesa. However on the "Six Flags over Arizona" route, PHX-TUS the standard seat cushion line always gets a laugh.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE=21D]
Originally Posted by mallthus
...honestly, I'm on Mesa RJ about 4-6 times a month and it's occasionally nice to hear something other than the same old "your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device" line that I've been able to recite since I was 12.

I too have experienced the "exWN" FA on Mesa. However on the "Six Flags over Arizona" route, PHX-TUS the standard seat cushion line always gets a laugh.
Well, my experience with America West Express is horrible (like everyone else). You would think that Mesa could operate a plane (just one) ON TIME since they are getting paid for ALL of the seats. The last time I flew them, we waited for a gate in OAK for 1 hour (after a 90 minutes flight). The time before that, they were an hour late, changed gates THREE times (said the pilot drove into the wrong gate???), and then the monsoons started before we could take off (delaying us another hour).

The humorous F/A on the latter flight worked her a** off and defused a very tense situation by giving us something to smile about AND excellent service.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Waited for a gate in OAK? HP only has like two gates! How the heck did they screw the schedule up that badly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.