FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   DCA, HP Q's from a Freshly-Minted HP Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/439418-dca-hp-qs-freshly-minted-hp-gold.html)

BillScann Jun 2, 2005 4:03 pm

DCA, HP Q's from a Freshly-Minted HP Gold

Hi all,

I've just status-matched my way to HP Gold. I fly out of WAS to California several times a month and am sick and tired of IAD w/UA, and if I'm going to make a connection I would rather be smoking like a fiend inside a PHX restaurant than flying AA via DFW and going outside to do so.

Questions:

Does gold carry any weight on HP?

As DCA is my home airport, what are my odds of seeing any upgrades to PHX?

What does the HP FF plan have over UA and AA's FF plans?

Any suggestions on loud, fun bars in Tucson? I'm heading there next weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

AZ_MISMAN Jun 2, 2005 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by BillScann
...I would rather be smoking like a fiend inside a PHX restaurant than flying AA via DFW and going outside to do so...

For your sake, I hope I am wrong, but isn't PHX a 100% non-smoking facility now? I may be confused, and someone will correct me.

AZ_MISMAN Jun 2, 2005 4:32 pm

OK, I found the answer after digging through Sky Harbor's website. From the FAQs...

Is smoking allowed at Sky Harbor?

Answer: Smoking is allowed in designated cocktail lounges and restaurants in the gate areas at Sky Harbor. There is one smoking area per concourse at Sky Harbor. The airport also has two smoking lounges, one in Terminal 2, and one in Terminal 4. Smoking is also permitted outdoors in designated areas on the curbs.

enviroian Jun 2, 2005 4:34 pm

Smoking is allowed in Phoenix--in designated areas only, i.e. the waaay overpriced Fox Sport Bar or that Mexican restaurant that is similar in T4.

Although I've only flown Dulles back to Phoenix, and considering I've never been upgraded as a plat on those flights, I would say your upgrade chances out of Reagan National to PHX are zero to none.

ByrdluvsAWACO Jun 2, 2005 5:53 pm

Smoking, drinking, loud music. Sounds like you party hard. :D

Questions:

Does gold carry any weight on HP? As DCA is my home airport, what are my odds of seeing any upgrades to PHX?

Yes it does, but coming from business center like DCA an upgrade is tough even for Plats. Gold is best used within the west.

What does the HP FF plan have over UA and AA's FF plans?
Not much other than the fact that upgrades are complimentary and don't have to be earned. Ever since HP stripped the program down, FlightFund has become pretty lame. As a gold you'll only earn 50% flight bonus versus the 100% Golds used to earn. Pray in thanks that you're not Silver(25%).

You'll also only earn 500 miles for an online booking bonues compared to 1000 on AA. Don't expect any real mileage promo's either. HP has the sorriest promos of all the US airlines.
[/QUOTE]

enviroian Jun 3, 2005 7:41 am

[QUOTE=ByrdluvsAWACO]Ever since HP stripped the program down, FlightFund has become pretty lame. As a gold you'll only earn 50% flight bonus versus the 100% Golds used to earn. Pray in thanks that you're not Silver(25%)]

But hey now, HP won the 2004 Freddies for "Best Elive Level"! :rolleyes: :td:

BillScann Jun 9, 2005 6:03 pm

Winner winner winner

Originally Posted by enviroian
Although I've only flown Dulles back to Phoenix, and considering I've never been upgraded as a plat on those flights, I would say your upgrade chances out of Reagan National to PHX are zero to none.

Well, lightning has struck: I'm upgraded on the DCA-PHX leg. I'm beginning to feel good about making the switch to AW!

ByrdluvsAWACO Jun 9, 2005 6:35 pm

Well, lightning has struck: I'm upgraded on the DCA-PHX leg. I'm beginning to feel good about making the switch to AW!

But will lightning strike twice? ;)

BillScann Jun 12, 2005 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
But will lightning strike twice? ;)

Zaaaaap! My upgrade percentage is 100%. All legs were upgraded!

PhoenixCMC Jun 13, 2005 12:43 am

Zaaaaap! My upgrade percentage is 100%. All legs were upgraded!

I'm based in PHX and have been HP Gold for a couple of years. I get upgraded about 75% of the time (including to DCA and Dulles), although I do a lot of mid-day and afternoon flights eastbound, which may not be convenient for you.