Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any guesses on possible focus cities?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
Any guesses on possible focus cities?

With hubs in PHX, CLT, & PHL, & the handful of focus cities for each, it seems there really isn't a central US city where they could possibly focus on that region's service. Does anyone believe there's a possibility of perhaps adding a focus city somehwere in the mid/southwest?

I'm here on temporary assignment in OKC, whose airport is undergoing its final year of renovations. In this project, they're adding 16 more gates in a new terminal, which have thus far gone unclaimed. I figured this could be a possibility since it's about a 2 hour flight from both PHX and CHA and could be an area that could serve more of the southwest and midwest cities. I know there's a lot of work to be done, but figured I'd post this simply to get opinions from others.

Despite failures @ CMT and MCI, is there a chance that another midwest focus city could develop as a result of having hubs on both the east and west coasts?

Last edited by TopDawg4OU; May 26, 2005 at 7:05 am
Old May 25, 2005, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TopDawg4OU
With hubs in PHX, CHA, & PHL, it seems there really isn't a central US city where they could possibly focus on that region's service. Does anyone believe there's a possibility of perhaps adding a focus city somehwere in the mid/southwest?

I'm here on temporary assignment in OKC, whose airport is undergoing its final year of renovations. In this project, they're adding 16 more gates in a new terminal, which have thus far gone unclaimed. I figured this could be a possibility since it's about a 2 hour flight from both PHX and CHA and could be an area that could serve more of the southwest and midwest cities. I know there's a lot of work to be done, but figured I'd post this simply to get opinions from others.
Charlotte = CLT.

Secondary Hubs are in LAS and PIT.
Focus cities: FLL, LGA, DCA and BOS.

From everything we've heard - no midwest city will be added. They will have a net reduction on planes and focusing on their strenghts - east and west coast, transatlantic, carribean and western mexico. Every attempt both airlines have made for central hubs (MCI, CMH, etc.) have failed.
Old May 25, 2005, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

LAX is also a focus city.
Old May 25, 2005, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
LAX is also a focus city.
yes, focused on PHL

Old May 25, 2005, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
yes, focused on PHL

Now, that HP mgmt thinks ending the LAX-JFK flight is a good thing, yes, that's true. Sometimes I could just b****-slap HP mgmt.

However, HP doesn't have some other flights out of LAX, and hopefully they'll add more later.
Old May 25, 2005, 4:14 pm

However, HP does have some other flights out of LAX, and hopefully they'll add more later.
RJ's to Canada don't much of a focus make.

With transcons doomed, it seems pretty unlikely there are many mainline cities to add ex-LAX, given the overriding network need to at least attempt to stitch 2nd-tier western cities to eastern hubs.
Old May 25, 2005, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Now, that HP mgmt thinks ending the LAX-JFK flight is a good thing, yes, that's true. Sometimes I could just b****-slap HP mgmt.

However, HP doesn't have some other flights out of LAX, and hopefully they'll add more later.
Trust me, Byrd, LAX will survive the discontinuation of HP flights to/from JFK. HP has bigger problems than this. If you can't fly HP, find another airline! How about Song?
Old May 25, 2005, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
HP has bigger problems than this. If you can't fly HP, find another airline! How about Song?
I'd like to try Song, but I just can't give up those AAdvantage miles.
Old May 26, 2005, 3:20 pm
Suspended

I'd like to try Song, but I just can't give up those AAdvantage miles.
You get AA miles for flying HP?
Old May 28, 2005, 7:19 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by sxf24
You get AA miles for flying HP?
I wish, but no. I meant that I can't give up collecting 5k AA miles on a transcon just to fly Song. I fly AA for all my transcons and collect AA miles.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
It seems to me that there are a lot of assumptions being made on routes and focus cities and hubs with a present day HP in mind. Decisions may change when the merger happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.