Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

Suggested no cost (or nominal) changes to upgrade HP's F Product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

1. Bring back divider curtain
2. Free newspapers (USA Today or WSJ)
3. Allowing F passengers to disembark first on their 752's
Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:47 am

Allowing FC customers to get their baggage first at baggage claim.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:28 am

Allowing 757 F passengers to disembark first would be a challenge (when using the L2 door). It wouldnt be a problem to hold Y customers from rows 9-35 back because only one flight attendant would need to stand in the aisle. It would be virtually impossible however to hold the 21 or so passengers back from rows 5-8.

Don't expect the comped newspapers in F anytime soon either - too costly.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:23 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by enviroian
This is something I want the most.

3. Allowing F passengers to disembark first on their 752's
[/quote]

One thing HP could do is attach the jetway to L1 so that F pax could exit first. Once all pax have left the plane, move the jetway to L2 to keep Y pax out of the F cabin during boarding.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Isn't this a TSA directive? There has to be visibility between the cabins during flight. HA has started using mesh curtains.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:24 pm

US is putting mesh curtains back in their planes too. Mainly 321 and 320's so I expect the merged airlines assuming it happens will have them.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing HP could do is attach the jetway to L1 so that F pax could exit first. Once all pax have left the plane, move the jetway to L2 to keep Y pax out of the F cabin during boarding.
I think that can be very costly - too long to turn around the airplane. Also, probably not in the US, in some airports the "parking meter" charging system is connected to the jetway docking/undocking.

I remember seeing this on an international flight on CX - they had FAs block the left side aisle in C class and let the F pax off first. Not a pretty picture.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by abeflyer
US is putting mesh curtains back in their planes too. Mainly 321 and 320's so I expect the merged airlines assuming it happens will have them.
There was a thread about this issue some time back. Based upon what I've heard, I'll be surprised if the combined airline goes this way, as much as I'd LOVE for it to happen.

I was commiserating in the galley with a FA on a recent flight about the long line of people behind the 3rd row in F, waiting to use the forward bathroom. (It makes sitting in that third row aisle seat much less desirable, especially on the 'long-haul' flights. One woman on a recent flight actually sat on my armrest while she was waiting!) Apparently as a matter of policy, HP no longer asks coach passengers to use the rear lavs. The FA told me that a passenger filed suit against the airline because she got a bladder infection following a flight because she could not get to a rear lav and the FA's wouldn't let her use the front one, or something along these lines. Her grounds was a law requiring x/number of lavs per person in a given space. Apparently the only way the aircraft meets the requirement is if it adds the F lav into the formula, so -- no more lav reserved for F passengers.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Rrrrriiiiiiiiight -- that's gonna happen. Keep dreamin', Byrd!
Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
This is something I want the most.

One thing HP could do is attach the jetway to L1 so that F pax could exit first. Once all pax have left the plane, move the jetway to L2 to keep Y pax out of the F cabin during boarding.[/QUOTE]

The best thing is for the FA's to block the aisle so that pax in rows 9 and higher have to wait until rows 1 through 8 exit the plane. This would solve the primary problem.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
How about:

- Glassware on all flights over 1 hour.
I understand no meal service to Seattle or Portland, but it would be nice to have a cup of coffee out of a real mug or a drink from a glass.

- Greater selection of snacks on non-meal flights. Jetblue offers a basket of chips, cookies, etc...AWA should offer this to the F cabin on the longer non-meal flights.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by formeraa
The best thing is for the FA's to block the aisle so that pax in rows 9 and higher have to wait until rows 1 through 8 exit the plane. This would solve the primary problem.
Do you really think that having the FA stand in the way of Row 9 + would go over? If I'm in one of those rows and I have to wait while the front of the plane empties you know there would be a TON of grumbling. No one wants to stay on the plane any longer than they have to. When I get upgraded to F on a 752, I look at the benefit and the detriment of being later on leaving the plane. I don't think they will go for that at all.

Lance
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Do you really think that having the FA stand in the way of Row 9 + would go over? If I'm in one of those rows and I have to wait while the front of the plane empties you know there would be a TON of grumbling. No one wants to stay on the plane any longer than they have to. When I get upgraded to F on a 752, I look at the benefit and the detriment of being later on leaving the plane. I don't think they will go for that at all.

Lance
Yes, they should give F customers a premium level of service. Another option is to de-plane from L1 door.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
There was a thread about this issue some time back. Based upon what I've heard, I'll be surprised if the combined airline goes this way, as much as I'd LOVE for it to happen.

I was commiserating in the galley with a FA on a recent flight about the long line of people behind the 3rd row in F, waiting to use the forward bathroom. (It makes sitting in that third row aisle seat much less desirable, especially on the 'long-haul' flights. One woman on a recent flight actually sat on my armrest while she was waiting!) Apparently as a matter of policy, HP no longer asks coach passengers to use the rear lavs. The FA told me that a passenger filed suit against the airline because she got a bladder infection following a flight because she could not get to a rear lav and the FA's wouldn't let her use the front one, or something along these lines. Her grounds was a law requiring x/number of lavs per person in a given space. Apparently the only way the aircraft meets the requirement is if it adds the F lav into the formula, so -- no more lav reserved for F passengers.

I understand the way you and no doubt many others feel about this issue - It is an opinion I would have once held myself. Fate dealt me an unfortunate card 5 years ago and I developed ulcerative colitis. At certain times, 'holding it' is simply not an option. Normally, if I don't get an upgrade I've no problem using the lav in the back. But if I'm seated in 6A, nature calls and the FA's cart is in the way I'm going to disturb the folks up front. People w/ Irritable Bowel Syndrome & bladder control problems likely feel the same way. Of course many of the people lining up and disturbing F pax do not have these afflictions and may just be downright rude. But you can't identify those with valid medical conditions just by looking at them and they don't wear signs. So now when I'm in F I just let it slide.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:15 am

On their 757-200s, FAs on AA will usually (not all the time) block the Aisle at row 9 (or 7/8 on TWA 757s). However, AA's 757 F cabin uses the entire "front" section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.