Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do YOU think the merged name should be?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
What do YOU think the merged name should be?

Reading around, there is a fear (whether real or perceived) that the America West name will lose to the US Airways name in a merged airline, and that the US Airways name is "damaged goods".

If HP/US were to hold a contest to name the new merged airline, what would you want it to be?

Bob
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
I was hoping that they could incorporate the America West logo in the USAirways name, like the stylish A or the W. These spring to mind:

Western Airways - Delta may have a problem with this
USWest - Kind of nice but the west is considered limiting the brand to a region
America West Airways - Completely eliminates the USAIR
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
US Scare
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:58 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
How about just combining the two--USAW Airways? Or AWUS Airlines? Just a thought.

LAX
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:11 am

America World Airways

That way they can keep the AWA...

They would keep the America from HP and the Airways from US - the two most indistinguishable parts of their names...
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Why not run America East and America West as complementary, co-branded, salt-and-pepper, "virtually different" airlines?

At one time there was a vague plan to do this with US Airways and British Airways -- making liveries and branding consistent. It would've been a neat idea had the US/BA partnership not collapsed.

The US Airways brand unfortunately is now synonymous with failure, incompetence, bankruptcy and anti-customer cruelty. And adopting it in the west, where US has far less presence, recognition or loyalty than HP, would only hurt the merged operation. There is probably no more disliked airline brand in the country than US Airways. America West, on the other hand, is pretty well-regarded for its recent improvements and revised pro-customer fare structure.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
How about 'New West'.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegoMark
America World Airways

That way they can keep the AWA...

They would keep the America from HP and the Airways from US - the two most indistinguishable parts of their names...

I like this one the best. ^ I'd hate to see the America West name get gobbled up by US Airways in any merger.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I'd have to agree here. I've only been flying consistantly for a short time but have been an HP customer for a long time. I would like to see a combination of the names vs going with just US Airways. Plus if they go with US Airways it makes it seem like US Airways gobbled us up

Lance

Originally Posted by AgtMulder
I'd hate to see the America West name get gobbled up by US Airways in any merger.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:20 pm

People seem to keep assuming that US will be the dominant partner in this merger... I think it's the other way around...

It's a common trend lately that the dominant partner takes the other company's name... Nations Bank bought Bank of America and took the B OF A name - there are countless examples of that happening.

I bet the new company is headquartered in Phoenix and run by Doug Parker... and has the US Airways name... let's just hope they don't have the Useless Airways attitude...
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Why cant they just keep it America West? Its still called Virgin Atlantic and they fly to more places than just across the Atlantic. China Southern flys to more than just southern China. The old Western Airlines flew all over the place, same with Eastern.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by olympicnut
Why cant they just keep it America West? Its still called Virgin Atlantic and they fly to more places than just across the Atlantic. China Southern flys to more than just southern China. The old Western Airlines flew all over the place, same with Eastern.
I have to say the US AIR to US AIRWAYS was a nice way to re-brand US... but you are right the name is not = QUALITY... THey would have to re-package the name, new logo.. etc
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face America West forever.

I spent two days looking for news on this merger and I go away for a day and all this juicy news comes up.

Anyway I don't think America West should give up their name. Maybe change it to America West Airways. However I think the two names will be around for a while due to the costs of rebranding.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:53 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by flyingcat
These spring to mind:

USWest - Kind of nice but the west is considered limiting the brand to a region
Hmmm. Naming an airline after a phone company.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
FA's cracking jokes today

Flew from DIA to PHX today and the gate attendants and flight attendants seemed to be trying to have a naming contest during the flight. During each announcement they tried a different name/combination of the names. Can't remember them all, but "America West Airways" and "US America Air" were among the list. For a few minutes I thought I was on WN with the FA's trying to get a laugh...wish they would've gotten the beer out before they started...like a bad comedy club it didn't get funny until I was a couple drinks in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.