Wiki Posts
Search

New First Class Snack

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by flyboy7974
question repeated, has anybody had the new F catering yet? saw the pictures, but nobody has mentioned anything here

New catering? Do you mean when they switched from hot pockets's last fall to either the chicken caesar or chicken pasta dish? One leaf lettuce salad. One brownie. Glassware...on good days??

If there is new F catering more recent then this than obviously I'm out of the loop
Old May 5, 2005, 10:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
question repeated, has anybody had the new F catering yet? saw the pictures, but nobody has mentioned anything here
I flew a long-haul last week (JFK-PHX) and nothing seemed new. Chx Ceasar or Pasta-of-the-day -- same menu we've seen since the demise of the dreaded HP's. What pictures are you referring to?
Old May 6, 2005, 4:12 am

on hp's website, they have switched the morning hot plate from the waffle to an omelte, and the evening baked ziti dish to lasagna. that what the pictures show on hp website, has anybody else pulled those up
Old May 6, 2005, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
on hp's website, they have switched the morning hot plate from the waffle to an omelte, and the evening baked ziti dish to lasagna. that what the pictures show on hp website, has anybody else pulled those up
What routes would this meal be on? I've see the lasagna picture on the website for quite a while but my run is always Chicken Ceasar or Shrimp Pasta one way and Shrimp Salad and Chicken Pasta the other way. For breakfast it was actualy tasty with a bunch of fruit but I've only had that once.

Lance
Old May 6, 2005, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be up front Monday to Miami. I'll report on F's offerings.
Old May 6, 2005, 9:50 pm

I was on an afternoon flight ORD-LAS earlier this week.We were served a small brownie, grapes, a strawberry and the chicken pasta salad .The portion seemed a lot smaller than what I remember.The bowl it was in was tiny.
Old May 9, 2005, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'll be up front Monday to Miami. I'll report on F's offerings.

Choice of either vegetable tortellini or chicken caesar salad. Rock hard bread stick. Apple cobbler.
Old May 9, 2005, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Choice of either vegetable tortellini or chicken caesar salad. Rock hard bread stick. Apple cobbler.

Same here on yesterday's PHX-EWR flight, except I believe it was a tricolored cheese tortellini. Either way, it's a huge step up from US's catering...that warm apple cobbler really hit the spot!
Old May 9, 2005, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shell nyc
Same here on yesterday's PHX-EWR flight, except I believe it was a tricolored cheese tortellini. Either way, it's a huge step up from US's catering...that warm apple cobbler really hit the spot!
Vegetable....not sure what I was smoking...yes, you are quite correct--tri colored cheese tortellini. It wasn't bad at all, but that awful bread stick has to go.

Considering what might be around the corner with US, I ask is their F product that bad? Do you get menu choices? Warm nuts like AA? Trust me, I'm much happier with HP's F product compared to 1 year ago. Back then it was always a tiny hotpocket, with a one or two leaf lettuce salad--absolutely awful.
Old May 9, 2005, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Considering what might be around the corner with US, I ask is their F product that bad? Do you get menu choices? Warm nuts like AA? Trust me, I'm much happier with HP's F product compared to 1 year ago. Back then it was always a tiny hotpocket, with a one or two leaf lettuce salad--absolutely awful.

Warm nuts were gone over 2 years ago! Honestly, US catering is SAD. It used to be on par with all the others, but somewhere in the middle of the first Ch11 trip, around fall of 2002, F service was cut dramatically, to around HP's current service level. It slowly deteriorated from there, to around the level of HP's HP (hehe) meals.

Now, transcon meals consist of In-flight cafe pre-packaged boxes. No joke. F passengers receive the exact same thing offered in Y for purchase, at no cost. No glassware, plates, nothing nothing nothing. The downgrade is blamed on a "catering transition," and we've been promised the change isn't permanent. But it's been the same since February of this year, so many have begun to accept that there will be no change at all. Pray to GOD that if this merger takes place, US adopts HP's food service practices, not the other way around.

On a lighter note, international flights still receive full service catering (on par with HP's domestic product). Flights to MEX and other Latin American and Carribean destinations have been noted as receiving standard catering. Also, Envoy class (international business) still has excellent offerings. Four-course meals, glassware, china, and 2 meal services on every transatlantic flight.
Old May 9, 2005, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Warm nuts were gone over 2 years ago! Honestly, US catering is SAD. It used to be on par with all the others, but somewhere in the middle of the first Ch11 trip, around fall of 2002, F service was cut dramatically, to around HP's current service level. It slowly deteriorated from there, to around the level of HP's HP (hehe) meals.

Now, transcon meals consist of In-flight cafe pre-packaged boxes. No joke. F passengers receive the exact same thing offered in Y for purchase, at no cost. No glassware, plates, nothing nothing nothing. The downgrade is blamed on a "catering transition," and we've been promised the change isn't permanent. But it's been the same since February of this year, so many have begun to accept that there will be no change at all. Pray to GOD that if this merger takes place, US adopts HP's food service practices, not the other way around.

On a lighter note, international flights still receive full service catering (on par with HP's domestic product). Flights to MEX and other Latin American and Carribean destinations have been noted as receiving standard catering. Also, Envoy class (international business) still has excellent offerings. Four-course meals, glassware, china, and 2 meal services on every transatlantic flight.
Pre-packaged boxes?? You've GOT to be kidding me. Here I am *****ing and moaning about HP's F product. Wow. Sorry to hear that. I guess it's all relative.

However, when you say international flights still receive catering "on par with HP's domestic product" I can assure there is no comparison in what US offers over HP--I'm sure it's absolutely superior to HP. Whether your flying to San Jose, Costa Rica or Minneapolis, get ready to enjoy your chix caesar or quad-color barilla
Old May 9, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
It's definitely all relative...

Pre-packaged boxes?? You've GOT to be kidding me. Here I am *****ing and moaning about HP's F product. Wow. Sorry to hear that. I guess it's all relative.
As GotCalcio4 described, US's domestic F service leaves a lot to be desired. While I have yet to experience the box lunches on my 75K+ preferred miles on US so far this year, I also haven't had a US F meal as tasty, fillng, or visually appealing as that lukewarm tortellini

I certainly hope that if this merger goes through, F service systemwide will become more like HPs with the addition of 2 things from US: the snack basket (complete with XOXOs ) and the wonderful Piedmont FAs...
Old May 9, 2005, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
And here you thought you were getting the worst F meal in the air, all while US F pax were suffering the indignity of US happy meals.
Old May 10, 2005, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

However, when you say international flights still receive catering "on par with HP's domestic product" I can assure there is no comparison in what US offers over HP--I'm sure it's absolutely superior to HP. Whether your flying to San Jose, Costa Rica or Minneapolis, get ready to enjoy your chix caesar or quad-color barilla

LOL.

Ok, I think I may have been unclear originally. "International" means everywhere outside of the US. So flights to the Carribean, Latin America, and Mexico (which I was referring to as "international" flights) will typically receive a one-course light meal, hot if you're lucky.

"International," in reference to transatlantic, is completely different. Those are the flights that I meant still receive four-course meals with real linens, china, glassware, etc.

Domestic flights, if designated as "snack" flights, will receive either a fruit plate with croissant (breakfast) or a small sandwich with a salad (lunch/dinner/redeye). If designated as a "meal" flight, you get the nice boxed breakfast/lunch/dinner, depending on time of day.

Check out airlinemeals.net:
http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexMeals.html

Once there, make your way to the US Airways page.

Photo 088 is what to expect as a "meal" on a domestic or Canadian (including transcon) flight. Photo 068 is what to expect if you're on a "snack" designated lunch/dinner timeframe flight, photo 079 is what to expect if you're on a "snack" designated breakfast time flight.
Photo 087 is a pretty good representation of what to expect on a Mexico, Carribean, or Latin American flight.
Photos 072-078 are what to expect in Transatlantic Envoy class (as you can see, Envoy is like flying on a different airline).

Oh and Byrd, I like that! US happy meals I think you just coined a new phrase!
Old May 10, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
And here you thought you were getting the worst F meal in the air, all while US F pax were suffering the indignity of US happy meals.
There are times when the only dish left is the pasta dish or I'm just pretty tired of the chicken ceasar salad that the "box" lunch would be welcomed on HP. Though I love the cobbler the meals really need a switch up once in a blue moon.

Lance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.