Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching to co-terminus airports possible?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2003, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Switching to co-terminus airports possible?

I have done it on other airlines, where the fare rules sometimes consider these airports co-terminus:

- JFK/EWR/LGA
- SFO/OAK
- BWI/IAD/DCA

Instead of flying into JFK, would it be possible to fly to EWR instead? I am currently ticketed SFO-PHX-JFK-PHX-SFO, and would like to fly SFO-PHX-EWR-PHX-SFO in order to meet up with a colleague before our NYC meeting.

I assume I would have to be on stand-by. Would the co-terminus be doable without the $100 change fee?

Edited to add link to Delta board for a discussion on this topic.

[This message has been edited by Jet2K (edited 05-02-2003).]
Old May 2, 2003, 4:28 pm

well all i know is i flew into LAX once and called and asked if i could fly out of orange county john wayne SNA and was told yes. Like an idiot i did not take the name of the person and you what happened next. I walked up to the terminal check in counter and was told no.
Old May 2, 2003, 4:46 pm

If I remember right, you should be able to travel standby into a co-terminal JFK/EWR, OAK/SFO etc. Standby would not have a fee. LA co-terminals are LAX/BUR/ONT/LGB - SNA is not a co-terminal.
Old May 14, 2003, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Update: the check-in agent allowed me to change the outbound from SFO-PHX-JFK to SFO-PHX-EWR, but also put in a specific notation that this change is a one-time courtesey change, and NO further change is allowed. She specifically said that my return would still originate from JFK.

In this particular case, this worked well for my needs since we have company cars for ground transportation. However, if I had to rent a car in EWR, it might be a bit of a problem if the return flight departs from JFK.

Later in the week, I had another flight OAK-PHX-JFK-PHX-OAK. I was able to get a confirmed change at JFK to return to SFO on the day of the flight.

I guess with this experience, I will say that co-terminus on the outbound are going to be problems, but obviously should be ok on the return.

[This message has been edited by Jet2K (edited 05-14-2003).]
Old May 14, 2003, 12:50 pm

I was once able to change ORD-PHX-SFO to ORD-PHX-SMF. There were bad thunderstorms that day (in both PHX and SFO), and my SFO flight was delayed. I noticed the SMF flight was boarding, so I asked the gate agent if I could get on. He asked me 'are they close?' I said 'around 100 miles'. And then he cautioned that HP wouldn't provide ground transit (I was ok with that), and issued me a boarding pass to jump on the plane.
I was actually the only person with a boarding pass that still had to be collected. (The SMF flight had actually boarded a couple hours earlier then deboarded.)

The moral of the story: during irregular opps, airlines will put you on any empty seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.