Wiki Posts
Search

HND-HIJ Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
HND-HIJ Advice

I'm looking to take a day trip from Tokyo to Hiroshima next month. I priced out a flight online and it came out to ~$660. My only options were full fare and premium fare. What are the differences between the two? And are there any cheaper options? Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
I'd take the Shinkansen if the total airfare was that high. No mileage to be had, but total travel time would be only slightly more and the roundtrip fare would be lower by about $200.

IMHO it's not worth paying full fare "One-Way Fare" for domestic Japan flights unless you have no option. Much lower fares, "Tokuwari" and "Tabiwari" appear 14 and 21 days out if your plans are flexible and especially if you can travel midday on a weekday.

Make sure you check fares on ANA's domestic flight page. Avoid using Expedia, etc. for domestic Japan travel:

http://www.ana.co.jp/asw/index.jsp?type=e

"Tabiwari" discounted fares are still available for some days in February. In some cases the roundtrip Tabiwari fare comes out to only 24,200 yen. This beats the Shinkansen and you can get mileage out of the trip. Tokuwari and Tabiwari fares earn 75% mileage. See details here:

https://www.ana.co.jp/amc_e/guide/ta...htmile_hd.html

"Premium Class" used to be known as Super Seat and is similar to domestic F in the US but with much friendlier service. It seems ANA is running a campaign now that allows you to buy up into Premium Class for 5000 yen from a cheap fare such as Tabiwari (usually this is 7000 yen) if seats are available the day of flight.

Keep in mind you'll have to take an hour-long bus ride from HIJ to get downtown, so figure that into your plans. If possible, it's better to stay overnight. You'd be pressed for time on a day trip, I think. Good luck!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Exactly what I was looking for (found ~$300 fares). It looks like I need to do a bit more research on the trip before I buy the ticket. Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Shinkansen is easier, more economical and takes the same amount of time as the flight plus airport transfers. Tabiwari fares give you so few miles that flying isn't really worth it.

http://www.mutantfrog.com/2009/01/08...port-syndrome/
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: UA1P
How about * A Japan Air Pass?
Fixed rate at 11,000 Yen per flight, up to 5 flights.
If you take an international flight on * A carrier to Japan,
the carrier will make *A Japan Air Pass reservation for you.
If not, contact ANA directly.
Bus fare to Hiroshima Station from the airport is 1,300 Yen
one way, 2,360 Yen return trip.

Shinkansen costs 18,000 Yen one way, 34,000 Yen return trip.
Japan Rail Pass starts from 28,300 Yen for 7 days unlimited trip.

This may be the last option, overnight bus service costs
from 7,000 Yen one way between Shinjuku and Hiroshima Staion.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:12 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by kevybear
How about * A Japan Air Pass?
Fixed rate at 11,000 Yen per flight, up to 5 flights.
If you take an international flight on * A carrier to Japan,
the carrier will make *A Japan Air Pass reservation for you.
If not, contact ANA directly.
Bus fare to Hiroshima Station from the airport is 1,300 Yen
one way, 2,360 Yen return trip.

Shinkansen costs 18,000 Yen one way, 34,000 Yen return trip.
Japan Rail Pass starts from 28,300 Yen for 7 days unlimited trip.

This may be the last option, overnight bus service costs
from 7,000 Yen one way between Shinjuku and Hiroshima Staion.
Yes, this is the ticky you want if you are arriving on international flight. sometimes called visit Japan as well. Available via both Jal and Ana depending on who you fly in on. First segment is not changeable second is changeable. 2 segment minimum IIRC.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:44 am
Original Poster

I'll be flying in on an ANA award flight, so I assume I won't be eligible for an Air Pass. I'll have to look into the Shinkansen. It'll make for a long day trip, but perhaps I can spend the night there or in Osaka (I wouldn't mind visiting there again).
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:09 am

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by Condition One
I'll be flying in on an ANA award flight, so I assume I won't be eligible for an Air Pass.
Any international flight to Japan is eligible, including award flight.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...pass_tscs.html
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One
I'll be flying in on an ANA award flight, so I assume I won't be eligible for an Air Pass. I'll have to look into the Shinkansen. It'll make for a long day trip, but perhaps I can spend the night there or in Osaka (I wouldn't mind visiting there again).
It's a long day trip no matter what you do. If you fly, you're looking at two hours on the plane, one hour on the bus in Hiroshima, and however long it takes you to get to Haneda and check in. It's probably about 4 hours total. The train is 4 hours even, and takes you from downtown to downtown.

Normally I choose flying whenever it's justifiable, but I don't think I would make this trip by air. The train is simply way more convenient, and you'll get to see more of Japan along the way.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
I would add that a Japan Rail Pass might fit into your plans too, should you use the Shinkansen over that distance. The cheapest pass is 28,300 yen, and a roundtrip on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima is 37,100 yen alone. That pass would also allow you unlimited use of JR group trains, Shinkansen reserved seating included, throughout Japan for its duration.

The only drawback is that the pass isn't valid for the fastest Nozomi Shinkansen service to Hiroshima, so you'd have to travel on a slower Hikari and be forced to change trains (probably at Shin-Osaka) if traveling with a rail pass, meaning you will add about an hour to your travel time each way.

If you'll be traveling by train any more than just the Shinkansen to Hiroshima (such as using the Narita Express to/from NRT or local lines in Tokyo), the rail pass is more than worth it.

And as joejones said, you'll be able to enjoy the scenery that way, since air travel doesn't really have a speed advantage to downtown Hiroshima.^
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:49 pm

Note that if you decide to use the air pass, ANA only permits 15kg of checked baggage (the air pass is a separate ticket and does not have the baggage allowance of your intl ticket).

JAL has 20kg, if I recall correctly.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:08 pm

It's 15kg on both airlines, expandable to 45kg at 400-700 yen per excess kg.

JAL is evil. Fly ANA if you fly at all. (ducks as the JAL groupies start throwing things)
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
JAL is evil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.