Search

New Samsonite amenity kits in F?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:02 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE

I'm sitting in F on NH2 right now, and was just presented with a Samsonite-branded amenity kit. It's a bit on the bulky side and has only ANA and Thann branded items. The CA said they were new; has anyone else seen these lately?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Yes, started receiving these as the new amenity kit in lieu of the Thanh branded suede ones several months back. I've accumulated quite a few on NH 7 and 8 so it was probably around spring they made the swap?

All in all I am not terribly impressed with the NH F kits. The TG Tumi kits and even the new UA GF kit are of better quality IMHO.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:16 am

Things like amenity kit and pyjamas are usually the last thing on my mind on NH F as I sit there enjoying the fantastic food, drink and service...

Whereas on airlines like TG, I think you need the fancy amenity kit to distract you from the variable food and service
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Anyone have any pics please ?

Originally Posted by stargold

Whereas on airlines like TG, I think you need the fancy amenity kit to distract you from the variable food and service
That's funny, and yes, I did stare at the Rimowa case the entire time when I was flying TG and forgot the lousy beef and tin foil wrapped cheese !
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I took one but won't be able to upload it for a few days. It's about 15cm square, black nylon, and has a zipper running round the outside. It has a hook inside to hang it when opened.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I took one but won't be able to upload it for a few days. It's about 15cm square, black nylon, and has a zipper running round the outside. It has a hook inside to hang it when opened.
Any chance to see a photo or two about the new kit ?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Not sure what's up but I just flew NH7 in F and they were back to the old (and ugly) Thanh kits. Left it on the plane.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Any chance to see a photo or two about the new kit ?
Sorry, ORDnHKG -- I haven't had time to upload them. I'll make a note and take care of it tonight!

Originally Posted by ainternational
Not sure what's up but I just flew NH7 in F and they were back to the old (and ugly) Thanh kits. Left it on the plane.
I actually got a Thann kit on my return from ORD, so perhaps they're still getting rid of old stock.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: NH DIA+SFC+1MM; Marriott Titanium; AMEX Plat
I'm flying 210 in a few weeks so i'll report back with what they give me on board.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:22 pm

Was on NH8 today and received the Samsonite kit this time around.

Used it, but left it on board. I think I have a dozen of them sitting around here..
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Here's a photo of the outside:

Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:23 am

Back to Thanh bags on NH7 this week. So I decided I'd ask the purser. I think the answer confused me more than not asking. She implied they like to offer variety and the contents of the bag were different. Unmmmmmm, I think they are the same inside, no? Then she asked me why I asked, which I also found a bit strange. I told her I was just curious since NH 7 and 8 seemed to consistently offer different amenity bags.

She proceeded to ask me which I prefer and was noticeably shocked when I told her the Samsonsite one. Why, she questioned? I said it looks nicer. She then asked if I wanted to take my Thanh bag with me, to which I said I'd probably leave it on board. She promptly grabbed it and walked away, this was about 80% of the way through the flight.

Bizarre!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:54 pm

Back to Thanh bags on NH7 this week. So I decided I'd ask the purser. I think the answer confused me more than not asking. She implied they like to offer variety and the contents of the bag were different. Unmmmmmm, I think they are the same inside, no? Then she asked me why I asked, which I also found a bit strange. I told her I was just curious since NH 7 and 8 seemed to consistently offer different amenity bags.

She proceeded to ask me which I prefer and was noticeably shocked when I told her the Samsonsite one. Why, she questioned? I said it looks nicer. She then asked if I wanted to take my Thanh bag with me, to which I said I'd probably leave it on board. She promptly grabbed it and walked away, this was about 80% of the way through the flight.

Bizarre!
If you think this is bizarre, read my recent post on them running out of food in F!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Here's a photo of the outside:
Thanks, appreciate for your effort. It looks quite bland to me.

Wow, was your kit opened and used already ? Is she planning to keep it for herself ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Wow, was your kit opened and used already ? Is she planning to keep it for herself ?
I'd opened it but didn't use anything. I highly doubt she'd keep it for herself! I think she felt it was simple courtesy to take it away since I'd stated I didn't want to keep it. Perhaps she was insulted by my comments, I'm not really sure, but her demeanor the rest of the flight was fine, professional and unchanged.

I can't see any NH FA taking an amenity kit home. Against the rules. And we all know about Japanese and their rules!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.