Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

How strict is ANA regarding family clause for mileage redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How strict is ANA regarding family clause for mileage redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Originally Posted by LGA
You had to book your GF's award with ANA over the phone with ANA...?
I wasn't clear... I was just trying to say that we were traveling together, but had to book our tickets separately because we were using miles from two different accounts, so to positively ensure that we both got our desired flights, we had to reserve through a CSR rather than use the online award reservation tool. Of course we were able check availability for 2 award tickets, so at least we could request specific dates and flights rather than blindly seeking availability over the phone.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any recent experiences with this? Plan to make a booking for my grandmother who has a different last name..
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Any recent experiences with this? Plan to make a booking for my grandmother who has a different last name..
dunno where ur OD is but i ticketed my "father in law" n flown (with him) without problems... on JAL
and my "wife" (upgraded her too at the airport on an award).

none of the above bookings we were under the same pnr but i flew tgt w them(not together)
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Now it seems like we can just add another person without verification?

Can ANA ask for verification at the airport? Or they will do verification before/after.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I have personal experience with this - recently and over the past 3-4 years. Let's just say I don't think anyone will have a problem with regards to being asked for any verification, proof or otherwise. Nowadays the online system pretty much allows you to take care of everything and do what you want to do. Obviously if you try to add dozens of "family" members you may be flagged, but I've found the system to be far more flexible than one might expect.

I believe they do charge you miles though to REMOVE people from your list. That's rather ironic.

Anyways, PM me if you have specific questions.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:13 pm

I'd like to give this thread a bump as I'm looking for similar advice.

A friend of mine has offered to use his miles to redeem business award seats for my wife and myself. He will not be accompanying us.

Is this a bad idea?

I notice that ANA has the following on their website:

Registration Fee
A registration fee of 1,000 miles is required (deducted from the primary member's mileage account) when registering for this service for the first time or adding additional family members.

Does this mean it would cost 2K ANA miles (1K p/p) to register the both of us as family members?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: ANA Pt
Originally Posted by OliverB
I'd like to give this thread a bump as I'm looking for similar advice.

A friend of mine has offered to use his miles to redeem business award seats for my wife and myself. He will not be accompanying us.

Is this a bad idea?

I notice that ANA has the following on their website:

Registration Fee
A registration fee of 1,000 miles is required (deducted from the primary member's mileage account) when registering for this service for the first time or adding additional family members.

Does this mean it would cost 2K ANA miles (1K p/p) to register the both of us as family members?
No, 1K miles for registering as many as you want, each time for family account service. (combining family miles) You want award user registration, which is free but requires 5K if you want to cancel. This is under My Menu- Various Procedures - Family Usage - Award User Registration
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:52 pm

Thank you so much for confirming!

The only hindrance that I'm facing right now is that there are literally 2 seats left in business class and I've read that transfer times from AmEx Rewards to ANA can take up to 5 business days.

I tried calling ANA to ask about award holds, but I was told it's not possible.

Talk about stressful!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:59 pm

I find 36 hrs is average for AMEX to ANA transfers.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by synergypi
I find 36 hrs is average for AMEX to ANA transfers.
Thanks; looks like I'll be sweating it out for the next 36hrs!

Crossing my fingers and toes that these seats are still available!!!

Edit: one more question for you -- Is the 36 hrs avg. related to frequent flyer accounts which are already linked to your AmEx? I ask because my friend is transferring from his AmEx Rewards acct to my ANA acct. Do you suppose that would delay the transfer process?

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 17, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks; looks like I'll be sweating it out for the next 36hrs!

Crossing my fingers and toes that these seats are still available!!!

Edit: one more question for you -- Is the 36 hrs avg. related to frequent flyer accounts which are already linked to your AmEx? I ask because my friend is transferring from his AmEx Rewards acct to my ANA acct. Do you suppose that would delay the transfer process?
It may be difficult or impossible to link AMEX rewards account to a different name ANA account for the purpose of transferring membership rewards. Better check this.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:54 pm

I should've specified that I was added as an AU on my friend's account this morning.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Watergate
I did this a month ago and added my girlfriend as my "wife" with a different last name than me and it instantly put her on my account. I didn't even get hit with the 5k mile 'fee' that it said I would have to pay.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RichardNixon
I did this a month ago and added my girlfriend as my "wife" with a different last name than me and it instantly put her on my account. I didn't even get hit with the 5k mile 'fee' that it said I would have to pay.
The question is what happens if she doesn't become your wife and you get a new gf?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:50 am

I'm glad I read this thread!!

I was hoping to book two tickets for me and my GF to Tokyo from London next year! I guess I'll book star alliance tickets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.