Search

Y seat selection on ANA's 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Y seat selection on ANA's 777-300ER

Hello,

I just booked an RT flight on NH from SFO to CTS via NRT, using UA miles on UA's site. Both UA & NH identify the aircraft for the SFO to CTS leg to be the Boeing 777-300ER (77W), but from SeatGuru I see there are up to six versions of this plane. I was really hoping for the version with 2-4-3 row arrangement (so I could get the 2 seater exit row), but when I went to NH site to select seat assignment, I saw it was the 3-4-3 row arrangement.

As the goal was to have two seats together without a third, I'm now thinking about the two seater rows at the back of the plane. Does anyone have any experience with those seats (row 39 and back) on ANA's 777-300ER and whether or not the added space to the side of the seat is worth sitting so far back?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
NRT-CTS does not use a 777.
Furthermore, HND-CTS sometimes uses 777 in domestic configuration, 3-4-3 setup.
so, are you on NH8 connecting to NH 2153 or NH2155?
Or, are you flying into Narita and then out of Haneda to Sapporo?
If the former, there are no 777, only 737s.
If the later, you are in for a rude shock with the NRT-HND transfer (self paid train/bus trip, no luggage check through beyond NRT)

Please confirm so we can help you.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
NRT-CTS does not use a 777.
Furthermore, HND-CTS sometimes uses 777 in domestic configuration, 3-4-3 setup.
so, are you on NH8 connecting to NH 2153 or NH2155?
Or, are you flying into Narita and then out of Haneda to Sapporo?
If the former, there are no 777, only 737s.
If the later, you are in for a rude shock with the NRT-HND transfer (self paid train/bus trip, no luggage check through beyond NRT)

Please confirm so we can help you.
Sorry, I meant the SFO to NRT flight is on a 777-300ER, and that would be on flight NH7. ANA had several options available including the dreaded SFO to NRT + HND to CTS combo, which as you described, involves a bus journey between NRT and HND. Fortunately, my flight transfers at NRT without the need for airport change.

BY the way, which side of the plane should we sit on in order to see Mt. Fuji when we descend into NRT?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by redleader74
BY the way, which side of the plane should we sit on in order to see Mt. Fuji when we descend into NRT?
That will depend on which approach route and landing direction the plane takes,or take off direction when continuing to Sapporo.
Another point is that Narita is close 200 km from Mount Fuji, good views from the plane are fairly rare from Narita.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Sorry, I meant the SFO to NRT flight is on a 777-300ER, and that would be on flight NH7. ANA had several options available including the dreaded SFO to NRT + HND to CTS combo, which as you described, involves a bus journey between NRT and HND. Fortunately, my flight transfers at NRT without the need for airport change.

You'll have to get lucky with the weather and takeoff patterns, but I'd pick the left side NRT to CTS and then right side CTS to NRT. I flew NRT-KIX 2 days ago and saw very clear views of Mr. Fuji during takeoff while sitting on the left side.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:23 am

SFO-NRT , choose the back seats if you must be in a double seat. Overheard storage is rarely an issue with Japanese carriers, since most pax are used to and comfortable with checking in luggage.
you won't see mt. Fuji coming from the north (from SFO) not going to the north (to Sapporo).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: ANA, JAL, AA
Be aware that if you sit at the back of the plane, your choice of meal may run out.
This happened once on my NRT-SFO flight. The flight was full, and the majority of passengers chose curry rice with pork cutlet over simmered yellowtail with gluey sauce.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:19 am

True! Seating in a double versus seating in the back....prioritize one n lose on the other.
the back sucks IMHO. Toilet queues, last to be served, the "tour package" groups usually seat in the back.....not bad but it wouldn't be something I look forward to.
aim for the exit rows by checking in early at the airport
Old May 3, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! We sat exit row for our last several flights. The limitless leg room and ease of access was great, but when seated it wasn't that comfortable because there's no foot rest in front of you, the seats are narrower, and there's far less (if none at all) places to put your things. The seat tray also feels smaller. You win some you lose some.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:14 pm

Thanks! We sat exit row for our last several flights. The limitless leg room and ease of access was great, but when seated it wasn't that comfortable because there's no foot rest in front of you, the seats are narrower, and there's far less (if none at all) places to put your things. The seat tray also feels smaller. You win some you lose some.
Does the exit row have power capabilities compared to the standard seat? Also I'm quite a big guy, and you mention the seat is narrow. Will that be a problem?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

From what I recall, the exit row seat does have power capabilities. Yes, the seat is narrower because the arm rest needs to be wide enough to hold the seat tray. However, how much more narrow it is I'm not sure. I also feel like the tray is smaller than the fold down tray in a regular seat. But if you are a big guy, despite the seat being narrower, getting in and out of your seat will be much, much easier because there is ample room ahead of you and no one needs to move in order for you to get in/out of your seat. Also the arm rest is fixed and cannot be moved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.