Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA food vs. JL food?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
No more choice for the second coach meal on my last flight from TYO back to YVR. It was a terrible "lunchbox" deal with small inedible sandwiches and a small fruitcup, I think. At this point, UA's ex-Jpn TPAC meals are better than NH's (NH still better ex-US/Canada food-wise). I'm not real familiar with JAL, but seems like JL and NH are competing to see who can tank harder on coach meals.
That JL food in Y is still pretty decent. True there is no choice on the second meal, but a recent breakfast on the second meal included a poached egg, which was nice and softly poached. I have not had a hot dog,though the Mos Burger, Yoshinoya beef bowl, and Tokyo Soup Stock are very nice options from time to time leaving Japan.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
My personal take on coach flying is BYOF.
It'd be great if they provided doggie box at ANA Lounge for this purpose.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:15 pm
mjm
Original Member

It'd be great if they provided doggie box at ANA Lounge for this purpose.
Marketing idea there! Seasonal branding, keepsake bags, etc. :-)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I must have low tastes. I thought the JL hotdog was pretty tasty. Not as substantive as the ex-TYO offering or a full meal but enough for a quick bite before landing and much more options then.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:52 am

I just flew NH and JL TPAC Y on the same trip.

NH (ex-YVR): Regular meals (chicken, couscous) okay but not as good as BR, Cathay or even AC ex-YVR. Kid's meals atrocious. Last Dec it was horrible mac'n cheese which my kids couldn't eat. This time the supervisor said they recently changed the kid's meal, which was not true. Again the same awful mac'n cheese, and we ended up trading it in for regular adult meal. Second meals getting increasingly paltry, but at least the yogurt was good. Kid's meal was fantanstic on NH up until ~5yrs ago. Now probably worse than UA. Will stop ordering kid's meal on NH.

JL (ex-TYO): First meal was supposed to be a poor-man's designer menu (chicken, 3 exotic side dishes that all tasted weird). I prefer NH's ex-Jpn dinner, as it's tastier even though JL is probably trying to be more ambitious. They actually serve a real second meal... MOS teriyaki burger! NH's second meal is a complete joke... a box snack with inedible sandwich in it.

I do not know JL's Jpn-bound meals, but I'm sure it's better than NH's. Overall JL>NH in terms of food. I just booked NH roundtrip to Jpn for this winter, even though JL was >$100 cheaper on the same route (I value my UA miles from this NH booked fare at $75, so it does not make up for the price difference). I don't know why I did that. I guess it's a habit, as I can't break the urge to book Star Alliance (or Cathay).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I just flew NH and JL TPAC Y on the same trip.

NH (ex-YVR): Regular meals (chicken, couscous) okay but not as good as BR, Cathay or even AC ex-YVR. Kid's meals atrocious. Last Dec it was horrible mac'n cheese which my kids couldn't eat. This time the supervisor said they recently changed the kid's meal, which was not true. Again the same awful mac'n cheese, and we ended up trading it in for regular adult meal. Second meals getting increasingly paltry, but at least the yogurt was good. Kid's meal was fantanstic on NH up until ~5yrs ago. Now probably worse than UA. Will stop ordering kid's meal on NH.

JL (ex-TYO): First meal was supposed to be a poor-man's designer menu (chicken, 3 exotic side dishes that all tasted weird). I prefer NH's ex-Jpn dinner, as it's tastier even though JL is probably trying to be more ambitious. They actually serve a real second meal... MOS teriyaki burger! NH's second meal is a complete joke... a box snack with inedible sandwich in it.

I do not know JL's Jpn-bound meals, but I'm sure it's better than NH's. Overall JL>NH in terms of food. I just booked NH roundtrip to Jpn for this winter, even though JL was >$100 cheaper on the same route (I value my UA miles from this NH booked fare at $75, so it does not make up for the price difference). I don't know why I did that. I guess it's a habit, as I can't break the urge to book Star Alliance (or Cathay).
Some of the side dishes that JAL comes up with are quite peculiar tasting, still I find the overall quality of the JL catering exceptional for Y. Even if I have to leave some of the sides from time to time.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Some of the side dishes that JAL comes up with are quite peculiar tasting, still I find the overall quality of the JL catering exceptional for Y. Even if I have to leave some of the sides from time to time.
Yeah, with those weird side dishes, I couldn't even tell what I was eating. There's no menu, and they only identify what the main entree is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.