Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA F vs J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Folks, let's keep this discussion here limited to redemptions via the ANA mileage club program; redemptions via Virgin's program should take place in that forum to avoid confusing people looking for advice here.

Other questions regarding the ANA onboard product, etc. are suitable for this forum (though perhaps in a different thread).

Regards,
armagebedar
ANA forum moderator
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:44 am

I've never flown in anything but economy (never even got extra legroom seat!) so either J or F would be entirely new experience for me. Is F really so far above and beyond what you get in J? Do you think the difference would be as perceptible to someone who has never even flown in a biz class seat?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by brody24
I've never flown in anything but economy (never even got extra legroom seat!) so either J or F would be entirely new experience for me. Is F really so far above and beyond what you get in J? Do you think the difference would be as perceptible to someone who has never even flown in a biz class seat?
In my opinion, if you're weighing the two services this heavily, go with J. People tend to fetishize this stuff on travel forums. The reality is that you're on a commercial airplane, sitting in a cube for hours on end, eating crappy food (despite what anyone says or what class you fly) and trying to keep amused or just sleep through the entire ordeal. Long-haul flights suck on any airlines; even the most pampered first class. Nobody would choose to be on the best flight if they didn't have to. Unless you have plenty of miles to spare and you can afford to make this decision without soliciting feedback from others, I think you'd be much better off booking business class and saving the extra miles to put towards a future trip. If you're used to normally flying in cramped cattle-class, you'll be very comfortable in J. As far as I'm concerned, this whole airline class hierarchy is a racket and the worst form of capitalist exploitation. If you've got an abundance of miles -enough to not have to consider F vs J- then first class would obviously be a slight improvement, but it's a minimal improvement and not really worth the thousands of extra miles, in my personal opinion. I'm always relieved when I'm able to redeem award seats in either class because flying economy truly sucks, but don't get too excited about the flight itself: it's the destination that counts!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
In my opinion, if you're weighing the two services this heavily, go with J. People tend to fetishize this stuff on travel forums. The reality is that you're on a commercial airplane, sitting in a cube for hours on end, eating crappy food (despite what anyone says or what class you fly) and trying to keep amused or just sleep through the entire ordeal. Long-haul flights suck on any airlines; even the most pampered first class. Nobody would choose to be on the best flight if they didn't have to. Unless you have plenty of miles to spare and you can afford to make this decision without soliciting feedback from others, I think you'd be much better off booking business class and saving the extra miles to put towards a future trip. If you're used to normally flying in cramped cattle-class, you'll be very comfortable in J. As far as I'm concerned, this whole airline class hierarchy is a racket and the worst form of capitalist exploitation. If you've got an abundance of miles -enough to not have to consider F vs J- then first class would obviously be a slight improvement, but it's a minimal improvement and not really worth the thousands of extra miles, in my personal opinion. I'm always relieved when I'm able to redeem award seats in either class because flying economy truly sucks, but don't get too excited about the flight itself: it's the destination that counts!
Wow, thanks for this feedback! I think you and I are of similar mind here. Biz class is such a world beyond economy that I'm bound to be thrilled with it. And the 40k miles I save can easily cover a future trip (or a few nights at an awesome hotel).
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:22 am

Wow, thanks for this feedback! I think you and I are of similar mind here. Biz class is such a world beyond economy that I'm bound to be thrilled with it. And the 40k miles I save can easily cover a future trip (or a few nights at an awesome hotel).
Glad to be of service; hope you have a fantastic trip!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

On ANA, there is indeed a difference in seats and food quality/selection in F, therefore most will claim it is worth the extra miles, especially when ANA has been cost cutting in J lately. But for someone who is flying J for the first time, you probably won't have the experience to make full use of F.

By experience, I mean that it takes at least a couple trips in J to fully gain that confidence and understanding of how the premium cabin works. First time you fly J, you will just be amazed in how good the seat and food is, and then sleep like a baby through most of the flight. In economy, we are trained to keep to ourselves in our miserable seats and just take whatever tray meal and drinks they give us at the specified times they give it to us. In first/business, the expectation is that you ask for food/drinks whenever you want and they will prepare it for you.

Originally Posted by OliverB
However, F is probably only worth if you done enough research on the product to know what to expect and intend to make full use of what it offers. If you are the kind of person who just orders the bare minimum off the menu and sleeps through the whole flight, then yes, it certainly is a waste of miles to sit in F other than just to say you did it. But for me, I purposefully book longer flights when booking F and always try as many things as possible off the menu throughout the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Explorer789
On ANA, there is indeed a difference in seats and food quality/selection in F, therefore most will claim it is worth the extra miles, especially when ANA has been cost cutting in J lately. But for someone who is flying J for the first time, you probably won't have the experience to make full use of F.

By experience, I mean that it takes at least a couple trips in J to fully gain that confidence and understanding of how the premium cabin works. First time you fly J, you will just be amazed in how good the seat and food is, and then sleep like a baby through most of the flight. In economy, we are trained to keep to ourselves in our miserable seats and just take whatever tray meal and drinks they give us at the specified times they give it to us. In first/business, the expectation is that you ask for food/drinks whenever you want and they will prepare it for you.

However, F is probably only worth if you done enough research on the product to know what to expect and intend to make full use of what it offers. If you are the kind of person who just orders the bare minimum off the menu and sleeps through the whole flight, then yes, it certainly is a waste of miles to sit in F other than just to say you did it. But for me, I purposefully book longer flights when booking F and always try as many things as possible off the menu throughout the flight.
Totally makes sense. Appreciate the input.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Nice to know - got a ANA F class trip coming up LAX-NRT - full trip report coming up...Apparently my wife didn't think making her stopover LAX-NRT-TPE pre-BR into *A counted as a trip to Japan (on UA metal)...so now putting my money where my mouth is and showing that UA hauls were worth the earn (and now burn).

Don't think of this as using extra miles, think of this as maximizing your time & opportunity if you have the choice. How many opportunities will you have to experience this, even if marginally different? The booze alone is enough to be a differentiator IMHO. The tough decision is how much to pig out at the *A F lounge at LAX.

Cheers,
PST

Last edited by PacificStandTime; Apr 19, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:19 pm

I don't know, I guess I just can't relate to the above sentiments... There's no airplane or lounge meal served that stacks up to even the most MOR eatery in Tokyo; or just about anywhere, for that matter. I'd much sooner get excited about pre/post-flight meal plans. I admittedly don't eat or drink much on flights because I find all airplane food to be pretty crappy, or bland at best. I generally also find it to be a waste of calories when I'm sitting idle for 13 hrs in an enclosed space; I really don't need it (and it's not very good). I tend to avoid alcohol, save for a few bon voyage toasts and usually in the lounge, prior to boarding. Cabins are always dry and dehydrating and I find that booze exacerbates the discomfort of long-hauls and also messes with jet-lag adjustment. I prefer to wait and do my drinking in bars! I'd much rather hit the ground running so that I can enjoy truly great local food; which I'll most likely spend several weeks overindulging in! So yeah, I just don't get the hype over Y class plane food... it's better than the slop they dish out in cattle-class, but it's still airplane/lounge food. I would never consider ponying up extra miles for the meal service, even if I had more than I could use in a lifetime. That would never be a determinant for me.

Then again, I'll never understand people that post trip reviews of foreign travels, where they've eaten half their meals in 5-star hotel restaurants of multinational chains, completely devoid of any local character... that always baffles me. As much I enjoy leveraging points/miles towards costly and more humanizing travel, I could never buy into that kind of corporate adherence. Airplane food is airplane food. First class is better than Business class, which is adequate at best.

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 19, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
For me it is a "is it worth it" product to miles

I used Virgin Atlantic miles and the difference is small and I can get more mile easily > First it is
i would not have used ANA mile for the trip in first but stayed in Business as the difference in miles amid far larger

BA I try to fly first , Cathay I think Business fares very well ....

So the question is "What would you do with the miles if you do not book first but business" and "How quickly can I replenish my used miles"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.