ANA F vs J

Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:22 pm

2 seats far out or close in is not difficult at all. Getting the additional seats are unpredictable, even if the cabin is empty. I've found ANA to be pretty inconsistent in last-minute releases.

For instance, when I booked my recent NRT-ORD flight, there were 2 F awards available 4 months out and I booked one, and the other disappeared. ANA did not release any additional seats up to departure, even though the cabin was F7 the entire time (and flew out with me as the only passenger). Whereas on my SIN-NRT connecting flight, there was only 1 seat available at the time, but close to departure, ANA made 3 additional seats available for awards the week prior to departure (strangely enough, the flight was F0 the night before departure, but we ended up flying out with only 3/8 seats filled.)
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tng11
2 seats far out or close in is not difficult at all. Getting the additional seats are unpredictable, even if the cabin is empty. I've found ANA to be pretty inconsistent in last-minute releases.

For instance, when I booked my recent NRT-ORD flight, there were 2 F awards available 4 months out and I booked one, and the other disappeared. ANA did not release any additional seats up to departure, even though the cabin was F7 the entire time (and flew out with me as the only passenger). Whereas on my SIN-NRT connecting flight, there was only 1 seat available at the time, but close to departure, ANA made 3 additional seats available for awards the week prior to departure (strangely enough, the flight was F0 the night before departure, but we ended up flying out with only 3/8 seats filled.)
ANA last minute is good but the problem is T-4 days is really annoying! I see all this space T-4 days on UA but UA is double the price. (On UA's site bookable on NH metal)
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
If you book via Virgin can you do one way F and one way J?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by schoflyer
If you book via Virgin can you do one way F and one way J?
for virgin awards, even on NH metal, you would be better off asking in the VS forum. if memory serves there was a post not too long ago about this
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:44 pm

Just to clarify on this Virgin conversation, you can only book NH via Virgin if the flight is between Hawaii or Los Angeles to Tokyo. No other cities in the US will work, so you will be responsible to getting yourself from where-ever to LAX.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Just to clarify on this Virgin conversation, you can only book NH via Virgin if the flight is between Hawaii or Los Angeles to Tokyo. No other cities in the US will work, so you will be responsible to getting yourself from where-ever to LAX.
Posted this in the other thread where you commented but this is not true at all. You can book NH via Virgin on any NH route that has availability. I have booked from SFO and there are others that have booked from ORD.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Posted this in the other thread where you commented but this is not true at all. You can book NH via Virgin on any NH route that has availability. I have booked from SFO and there are others that have booked from ORD.
Can someone clarify because an Virgin Atlantic rep verified this for me over the phone. He tried booking IAH-NRT and it didn't go. Obviously there was space throughout this year.

He said he called his supervisor and his supervisor claimed that only Hawaii and LAX works.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:34 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
See my post on the VS board.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by ned
See my post on the VS board.
Pls link, thx!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Can someone clarify because an Virgin Atlantic rep verified this for me over the phone. He tried booking IAH-NRT and it didn't go. Obviously there was space throughout this year.

He said he called his supervisor and his supervisor claimed that only Hawaii and LAX works.
You need to hang up and call again. Virgin agents are notoriously inept at partner award bookings. I booked SEA-NRT this morning in J just fine.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...l#post28157618

Neil
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

success!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice in this thread.

I ended up being able to scrounge up enough miles to book two RT tickets in F from ORD (into HND, out of NRT), at a total cost of 240,000 miles and $339 in taxes and fees.

The decision was somewhat made for me by the fact that there was essentially zero J availability for two people out of IAD, JFK, or ORD in October, and I couldn't run the risk of waiting weeks or months in hopes of something else opening up. After all, this is a three week trip, and even though I have a flexible job at a startup with unlimited vacation, it's best to plan this as far in advance as possible.

The booking itself was quite smooth, despite the rocky stories in this thread and elsewhere. I called Virgin late in the evening and was connected to an exceedingly competent and helpful agent in the UK booking office. I explained the situation and told him I had already done a search for award availability on ANA via United's site and I had the exact flights in mind. He said that he was familiar with this booking process and gave me a conspiratorial "let's see what we can do!"

I was on hold for about 10 minutes while he ran it through the system to see if it would be accepted. When he got back on the line, he told me that it hadn't gone through yet, but the good news was that acceptance can take up to 24 hours, and denial happens instantly - so the fact that it hadn't been denied boded quite well, and I could call back in the morning to confirm. When I called in the morning, they told me it went through and I paid. I then had to call ANA to book our seats since Virgin can't handle that part of the process.

One interesting thing was that he said we could fly from and two different cities in the same origin country and it would work - but when he tried this with a flight out of IAD, returning to ORD, it was denied instantly despite showing as available on United's site. He said we could try checking availability later, and could change airports for a $50 per person fee. Regardless, I think we'll be fine.

Thanks again everyone - hoping for a great flight experience and a great anniversary
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jaundicedave
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice in this thread.

I ended up being able to scrounge up enough miles to book two RT tickets in F from ORD (into HND, out of NRT), at a total cost of 240,000 miles and $339 in taxes and fees.

The decision was somewhat made for me by the fact that there was essentially zero J availability for two people out of IAD, JFK, or ORD in October, and I couldn't run the risk of waiting weeks or months in hopes of something else opening up. After all, this is a three week trip, and even though I have a flexible job at a startup with unlimited vacation, it's best to plan this as far in advance as possible.

The booking itself was quite smooth, despite the rocky stories in this thread and elsewhere. I called Virgin late in the evening and was connected to an exceedingly competent and helpful agent in the UK booking office. I explained the situation and told him I had already done a search for award availability on ANA via United's site and I had the exact flights in mind. He said that he was familiar with this booking process and gave me a conspiratorial "let's see what we can do!"

I was on hold for about 10 minutes while he ran it through the system to see if it would be accepted. When he got back on the line, he told me that it hadn't gone through yet, but the good news was that acceptance can take up to 24 hours, and denial happens instantly - so the fact that it hadn't been denied boded quite well, and I could call back in the morning to confirm. When I called in the morning, they told me it went through and I paid. I then had to call ANA to book our seats since Virgin can't handle that part of the process.

One interesting thing was that he said we could fly from and two different cities in the same origin country and it would work - but when he tried this with a flight out of IAD, returning to ORD, it was denied instantly despite showing as available on United's site. He said we could try checking availability later, and could change airports for a $50 per person fee. Regardless, I think we'll be fine.

Thanks again everyone - hoping for a great flight experience and a great anniversary
Great to hear as I'm thinking New York to Tokyo in F next year
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
Great to hear as I'm thinking New York to Tokyo in F next year
Saw very little availability for NY in either F or J - I was looking for two people, though, so your results may vary.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
I've seen NH consistently open 1 J and 2 F seats on both NRT-JFK and HND-JFK at 355 days out FWIW. (A quick check now actually shows 2 J and 2 F open on NRT-JFK for 4/4/18, and similar availability for other days next April).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:51 pm

That sounds like quite a deal, very tempting.

Is there no additional mileage cost to fly in to NRT and out from HND or vice versa because they both serve the same city?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.