Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Leg for F: USA->JAPAN or JAPAN->USA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Which Leg for F: USA->JAPAN or JAPAN->USA?

My wife and I are flying IAD-NRT-ITM and returning HND-ORD (non-business trip). We plan to fly one way J and the other F. Which would you choose for F? Both transPac flights leave around 10:50 in the morning. Flying from IAD is a longer flight in which to sleep/enjoy services, but maybe F catering is better out of Tokyo? Lounge advantages with either direction?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The Japanese meal tends to be better out of Japan, and the first class lounge in Haneda while not an outstanding F lounge is going to beat what you would see in IAD.

The 2hours or so extra flying time is probably not going enhance the experience much. There is still plenty of time try the full menu and get a decent amount of sleep on the ORD route.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'd go J first and F on the return. Traveling J on a return after F is almost always disappointing. At IAD you'll be be using a partner lounge. Not sure if it's still use of the AF lounge or solely the LH or TK lounges in Terminal B but at only up to Senator level.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:25 am

There's also the jetlag issue to consider. Most people suffer more serious jetlag flying eastward (there's actually a scientific study recently describing the reasons behind it). Consequently, I'd choose to fly F on the way back to have a better rest.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:46 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, an you change to the NRT-ORD flight to get the afternoon departure?

I've done split cabin RT's a lot.

I usually treat myself to F departing Tokyo.

I love ANA's Z checkin area at NRT and the private security for F pax.

Granted, sleeping is the major activity on the eastbound flights, and I sleep well in both Business and First. But I still love F departing Japan.

Note that ANA's only fault is the terrible PJ's in F. I greatly prefer my CX or JL PJ's.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I agree with all. F ex Japan is a better experience with a better lounge. It's also nice to look forward to and a great little perk right at the end of your vacation.

Overall not a HUGE difference but that's what I would do.

Incidentally, if you have time, OP, please come back and tell us how you feel about the difference between business and first on ANA. Frankly, recently I am sticking with business. I've decided that upgrading with miles simply isn't worth it anymore. Upgrading with points however, I still do occasionally, since they expire and I usually by J tickets.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Thanks all!!
Originally Posted by roberto99
OP, an you change to the NRT-ORD flight to get the afternoon departure?
The problem is we are actually connecting to BOS (left those legs out of my OP). The available flights get us back into BOS really late, and we then have an additional 1 1/2 hour drive home from there.

Originally Posted by ainternational
Incidentally, if you have time, OP, please come back and tell us how you feel about the difference between business and first on ANA. Frankly, recently I am sticking with business. I've decided that upgrading with miles simply isn't worth it anymore. Upgrading with points however, I still do occasionally, since they expire and I usually by J tickets.
Actually we're now discussing the option of J both ways instead and saving the 75K miles.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
If you've never flow NH F before, it's a fun experience. But I'm sorry to say I think the gap between J and F is shrinking year to year. Same situation on UA actually.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:57 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There is nothing wrong with flying NH Business RT.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by tth6133
There's also the jetlag issue to consider. Most people suffer more serious jetlag flying eastward (there's actually a scientific study recently describing the reasons behind it). Consequently, I'd choose to fly F on the way back to have a better rest.
Second this.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ainternational
If you've never flow NH F before, it's a fun experience. But I'm sorry to say I think the gap between J and F is shrinking year to year. Same situation on UA actually.
Yes, besides an quiet cabin which can be obtained by flying the mini J cabin, there's really no reason to go for NH F. Service is about the same because they reallocate the crew from F if there's barely any PAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.