Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Why did ANA put mediocre angled seats on 787??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Very disappointed to find myself on a 7-hour JAK-NRT flight with the horrid angled business class seats. At this price and this flight length I would expect lie flat seats, particularly on a relatively new plane.

I gather many of my fellow passengers were also connecting to UA flights so maybe ANA takes this business for granted. But next time I will seriously consider SQ (don't mind the overnight at SIN) or perhaps even Cathay (via HKG). The 6am departure (similar from BKK) is not a plus either though I know it is timed for the connections at NRT.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
This probably doesn't help much, but NH856 the 21:25 departure to HND is operated with a 787-9 with the international configuration, flat seats.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Great question, and indeed very frustrating. NH intra Asia flights in business are horrible. It makes absolutely no sense why they did that, given competition (TG and even some JL fights or so I heard) are far superior. TG also has F. But evidently NH feels they only have to compete with JL as most Japanese prefer a Japanese airline.

It's really pathetic to be honest. 2016 and recliners in C. This is far more like UA than NH. Even UA had full lie flat when they operated NRT to BKK a year or two ago. Pity they canceled that fifth freedom flight. It was always quite busy too, even had F.

NH continues to disappoint, but I can't easily find a better option ex-SFO including flight times for intra Asia connections. Perhaps it's time to look again. NH doesn't seem to be listening to any feedback or really making an effort to improve the product. Heck, even UA is upping their game. Unreal that UA is starting to eclipse NH in many facets of air travel. Never thought I'd see this day.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
Great question, and indeed very frustrating. NH intra Asia flights in business are horrible. It makes absolutely no sense why they did that, given competition (TG and even some JL fights or so I heard) are far superior. TG also has F. But evidently NH feels they only have to compete with JL as most Japanese prefer a Japanese airline.

It's really pathetic to be honest. 2016 and recliners in C. This is far more like UA than NH. Even UA had full lie flat when they operated NRT to BKK a year or two ago. Pity they canceled that fifth freedom flight. It was always quite busy too, even had F.

NH continues to disappoint, but I can't easily find a better option ex-SFO including flight times for intra Asia connections. Perhaps it's time to look again. NH doesn't seem to be listening to any feedback or really making an effort to improve the product. Heck, even UA is upping their game. Unreal that UA is starting to eclipse NH in many facets of air travel. Never thought I'd see this day.
Not that I am happy with the NH seat, but try to compare what seat you get in business on UA between EWR and MEX, it is a bit more fair comparison as UA regional America can be fairly long and you are often stuck in a normal domestic first seat.

But apart from seats, where is UA even close to eclipsing NH?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I fly NH all the time on TPAC but never within Asia. The seats are absolutely horrid.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:26 pm

Actually, a considerable percentage of NH HND/NRT flights to Southeast Asia are on 789 with the long haul J hard product: 841 and 842 to/from SIN for example, which I do now and then. Frankly, I fail to understand the current obsession with lie flat seats on flights that run much less than 7 hours in the daytime. I don't know about others, but I board, have a drinkie-poo, eat, catch up on work, look out the window, eat and drink again and there we are on the ground. The redeye services between SIN/BKK and Japan, however, are another matter.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:34 pm

"Unreal that UA is starting to eclipse NH in many facets of air travel. Never thought I'd see this day."

You're kidding right? Ancient 777s or sardine can 787s (even in J/BF), FAs more likely to be surly and inattentive than anything else, a punctuality and reliability rate in the pooper, and food in J that might sometimes not be total stodge, and customer service that might be thought good at al Ghraib are eclipsing NH? What facets are these, pray?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Not that I am happy with the NH seat, but try to compare what seat you get in business on UA between EWR and MEX, it is a bit more fair comparison as UA regional America can be fairly long and you are often stuck in a normal domestic first seat.
Absolutely true. Many of the IAH flights to S. America use horrid domestic F seats. And many intra-Europe flights use economy seats with a blocked middle for C! But I would not set that bar so low. And all of them use much older planes - not 787s.

Originally Posted by Vivianuccia
Frankly, I fail to understand the current obsession with lie flat seats on flights that run much less than 7 hours in the daytime. I don't know about others, but I board, have a drinkie-poo, eat, catch up on work, look out the window, eat and drink again and there we are on the ground. The redeye services between SIN/BKK and Japan, however, are another matter.
I got up at 3:30am to catch a flight just after 6am. Which means I didn't get nearly enough sleep, so yes, I'd like a long nap. And I don't think I'm alone when I say I can't really sleep when I'm falling off the seat because it's just not comfortable. Nor do I find it very comfy half reclined because I simply need leg support. Never had a problem finding a comfy position on any lie-flat config.

Now if it was a flight that departs 9am-6pm - sure - I can tolerate the seat. But doesn't mean I like it and certainly it's not competitive with SQ and other top carriers.

You're kidding right? Ancient 777s or sardine can 787s (even in J/BF), FAs more likely to be surly and inattentive than anything else, a punctuality and reliability rate in the pooper, and food in J that might sometimes not be total stodge, and customer service that might be thought good at al Ghraib are eclipsing NH? What facets are these, pray?
As Gleff like to say, it's all about the seat. And I'll take a lie-flat seat any day over wonderful flight attendants and gourmet food. Because I can always bring a power bar and get up to get drink refills. But I can't lug a lie-flat seat with me.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by 5khours
I fly NH all the time on TPAC but never within Asia. The seats are absolutely horrid.
You clearly avoided Vancouver well for a long time
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Absolutely true. Many of the IAH flights to S. America use horrid domestic F seats. And many intra-Europe flights use economy seats with a blocked middle for C! But I would not set that bar so low. And all of them use much older planes - not 787s.
I am not setting the bar low, I am just comparing regional configuration with regional configuration, rather than comparing regional configuration with long haul configuration.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:51 am

"Now if it was a flight that departs 9am-6pm - sure - I can tolerate the seat. But doesn't mean I like it and certainly it's not competitive with SQ and other top carriers."

I can nap fine on angled and some cradle seats, including NH regional J, but like you, when it comes to real sleep, lie flat with privacy is what I pay for. SQ still flies its regional J cradles/recliners to regional Japanese ports, including KIX. I think only NRT and HND get long haul J product.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Now if it was a flight that departs 9am-6pm - sure - I can tolerate the seat. But doesn't mean I like it and certainly it's not competitive with SQ and other top carriers."

I can nap fine on angled and some cradle seats, including NH regional J, but like you, when it comes to real sleep, lie flat with privacy is what I pay for. SQ still flies its regional J cradles/recliners to regional Japanese ports, including KIX. I think only NRT and HND get long haul J product.
Even HND and NRT gets some SQ flights with the regional seats, it is a mix.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
I find the seat and service on ANA from TYO - SIN second to none. On all flights to other places in Asia I found the service great although you need to pick the plane and config. On FT we should all know that right? For my regional route - TYO - SIN - Full flat and (for me) great food (including amuse bouche) and service. On Monday I did a domestic to Int in 25 mins due to late arrival of incoming flight and luggage still made the transfer. Quite honestly I thought I didn't have a hope. I will be NH diamond in a couple of weeks and very happy to be!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
I find the seat and service on ANA from TYO - SIN second to none. On all flights to other places in Asia I found the service great although you need to pick the plane and config. On FT we should all know that right? For my regional route - TYO - SIN - Full flat and (for me) great food (including amuse bouche) and service. On Monday I did a domestic to Int in 25 mins due to late arrival of incoming flight and luggage still made the transfer. Quite honestly I thought I didn't have a hope. I will be NH diamond in a couple of weeks and very happy to be!
But all 4 TYO-SIN frequencies are operated with their long-haul product: 801/2 and 845/6 from NRT with the 77W and 3-class 788 respectively, and 841/2 and 843/4 from HND with the 789 — all of which have lie-flat seats in C and not the recliners (unlike even SQ which still sends its regional product to TYO). However as an aside would disagree with the service/food comment on 802 especially though since they barely feed you on it.

However if you're flying to CGK or BKK or KUL then get ready for the recliners in the regional 788s (or even the 772 to BKK :O). Of course there's not much competition on any of these routes, and even OZ/JL/SQ fly recliners on routes of similar lengths, so I guess that's how it goes.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
HND-BKK I didn't have a problem. I thought the seat was fine for the route. I'm partial to fall asleep in a "lazy boy" type position on that.
You talk about the price but if it were more expensive and had 1-2-1 IOJ config would you pay it.
Also I would take this for TYO-BKK any day over the 2-4-2 sardine can lie flat that UA was running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.