Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA impose fuel surcharge for Air China award ticket now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am trying to book a round trip ticket from SFO to PEK using ANA miles. The flight I want to book is operated by Air China. As far as I remember, ANA do not charge fuel surcharge on Air China award booking, but I have seen around $500 tax/fee for this.

Is this a new change? Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I just figured they did add some kind of fuel surcharge.

How much are you seeing?

I flew last month on CA F and was charged $59.02 IAH-PEK-SHA-PEK-IAH compared to UA would have only charged $50.56, good to know!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I just figured they did add some kind of fuel surcharge.

How much are you seeing?

I flew last month on CA F and was charged $59.02 IAH-PEK-SHA-PEK-IAH compared to UA would have only charged $50.56, good to know!
It is $500 for the total tax/fee and a large part is due to fuel surcharge. It is in J class
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:52 pm

Wth

SFO-PEK-SFO?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS AA
It looks like sometime in July ANA added U.S. Transportation Tax ($17.80) per one way into/out of US. I booked a US-China non-stop round trip in May, and the taxes and fees matched UA's. Yesterday I tried to change the return date (same flight number), and was quoted an additional charge of $35.60. After the ticket was reissued, I saw two new charges:
U.S. Transportation Tax: 17.80

Should such fees be charged on award tickets?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by alfrie
It looks like sometime in July ANA added U.S. Transportation Tax ($17.80) per one way into/out of US. I booked a US-China non-stop round trip in May, and the taxes and fees matched UA's. Yesterday I tried to change the return date (same flight number), and was quoted an additional charge of $35.60. After the ticket was reissued, I saw two new charges:

Should such fees be charged on award tickets?
Normally, anything that is levied on the ticket by airports and governments/authorities are charged to the passengers on an award tickets. (and normal tickets as well for that matter)
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Wth

SFO-PEK-SFO?
It seems it varies by route... The one with high fuel surcharge is the new SJC PVG route

AIRLINE SURCHARGE (INSURANCE/ FUEL)
JPY 43,420

Last edited by mebluemouse; Aug 11, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:34 pm

Hmm I don't quite understand the logic there though. If the route is new and they don't have enough seats than maybe don't release any space instead?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum; Hyatt diamond;
I came here to ask the same question! Planning to book a ticket for my mom and saw ~$500 tax&fees. I tried PEK-SFO, PEK-ORD Air China round trip but did not see high fuel surcharge. It seems that only PVG-SJC is affected. Could it be due to some IT error?...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:24 pm

Has anyone figured this out? I'm seeing taxes of 53,820 JPY for EWR-PEK-AKL-PEK-EWR (all CA), for example.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, ANA does impose fuel charges on Air China now. I booked:

ORD-NRT ANA J
NRT-PEK Air China J
PEK-AKL Air China J
AKL-CHC Air New Zealand Y
CHC-AKL Air New Zealand Y
AKL-PEK Air China J
PEK-NRT ANA J
NRT-JFK ANA J

Fees were $447pp. $161 was government imposed, $286 was fuel surcharges for the Air China flights.

But it does seem the fuel surcharges are only imposed when traveling to New Zealand... EWR-PEK on Air China only incurs JPY 9120 for the round trip in J.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:45 am

Anyone figure out any examples for F or Y yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.