Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA F/C cuisine going downhill?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
ANA F/C cuisine going downhill?

Anyone else agree with me? Over the past 5 years, the menus have gotten shorter and more importantly, the fare, even ex-JPN I feel has gone way down hill. I've stopped upgrading to F from paid C (simply not worth it at 40K miles each way on a Z fare) and have decided to forgo the C meals going forward.

Had stringy, inedible beef ex-NRT the other day flying to SJC. The worst meal I've ever had on ANA - period. Couple that with unenthusiastic service likely due to NH cost and benefits reductions, and frankly, I am considering JL..

Last edited by ainternational; Oct 3, 2015 at 5:07 am
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:40 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ainternational
Anyone else agree with me? Over the past 5 years, the menus have gotten shorter and more importantly, the fare, even ex-JPN I feel has gone way down hill. I've stopped upgrading to F from paid C (simply not worth it at 40K miles each way on a Z fare) and have decided to forgo the C meals going forward.

Had stringy, inedible beef ex-NRT the other day flying to SJC. The worst meal I've ever had on ANA - period. Couple that with unenthusiastic service likely to to NH cost and benefits reductions, and frankly, I am considering JL..
Yes the food and more importantly the wine has tanked in the past two years.

Plus the hardware in F is lacking IMHO. I love ANA but having done 3 F sectors in JL's new F product very recently, I cannot help but say try that and if you go back I will be surprised.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Well agreed, food has gone down hill.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I didn't enjoy the Japanese menu at all on my last F flight ex-ORD... I have an ex-NRT F flight later this month so now am not expecting too much either.

First Rimowa, then good food !!! All gone...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by xray
I didn't enjoy the Japanese menu at all on my last F flight ex-ORD... I have an ex-NRT F flight later this month so now am not expecting too much either.

First Rimowa, then good food !!! All gone...
I'm still finding the food extremely good, especially out of NRT. If I were to order the Japanese menu, I wouldn't order it out of ORD...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Nice to read.. just booked HND to Frankfurt in First in februari, better book Lufthansa? or by Thai? or just go to Business ANA, saves a lot..love special food on special flights So is it still worth
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eb777
Nice to read.. just booked HND to Frankfurt in First in februari, better book Lufthansa? or by Thai? or just go to Business ANA, saves a lot..love special food on special flights So is it still worth
ANA J still if it's cheaper.

--------------------------------

My concern with ANA is they are starting to follow the UA 2-Cabin only style.

The 787-9/8s are all 2-cabin (J & Y) and the food is becoming the same. Meaning that in the next generation of aircrafts, ANA might phase out F.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by datsuzei
I'm still finding the food extremely good, especially out of NRT. If I were to order the Japanese menu, I wouldn't order it out of ORD...
How is the Japanese menu out of YVR?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Beware: LAX-HND / HND-LAX / HND-FRA (12am flight)

For those flying F on NH LAX-HND/HND-LAX and HND-FRA (12am flight), beware that only light dishes are offered.

This is unbelievable given the length of the flights!!

If you want a full meal while flying NH F, avoid flights that depart around 12AM.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I also think they are cutting caviar service. The latest menus on the site have caviar integrated into a Western appetizer dish. And most of the reviews I have seen ex-SFO seem to indicate that as well.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Thanks.....was on the wrong flight what was mentioned, 12 AM , so made the change now by Thai on the 380 ..Good Post, thanks
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by daniellam
For those flying F on NH LAX-HND/HND-LAX and HND-FRA (12am flight), beware that only light dishes are offered.

This is unbelievable given the length of the flights!!

If you want a full meal while flying NH F, avoid flights that depart around 12AM.
You need to add the SIN-NRT flight as well which leaves around 6:30AM. Given a 7 hours flight and not a red-eye, NH can't even serve a proper breakfast. http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...f_201509_m.pdf And of course, no caviar.

Cost cutting to the point that even the breakfast service is abbreviated is simply unacceptable service standard. For comparison, JL continues to serve full breakfast and have caviar on their CGK-NRT F. http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...509_201511.pdf

At this rate, many of the ANA premium customers will flee the airline given the severe deterioration of service levels, not to mention major devaluation of ANA Mileage Club.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by eb777
Despite NH is going downhill, it is still better than those two you mentioned.

Everyone know that LH is only good on the ground, nothing good in the air, very average, in a matter of fact, I only like the scramble eggs in LH F !

TG is inconsistent no matter what, I can be offered the exact same menus after a year on the same route, TG's version of book the cook are better than their inflight menus, but the quality varies even if it is catered from the same airport.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob

My concern with ANA is they are starting to follow the UA 2-Cabin only style.

The 787-9/8s are all 2-cabin (J & Y) and the food is becoming the same. Meaning that in the next generation of aircrafts, ANA might phase out F.
No, majority of NH long haul are still served by 77W, which are all 3 class.

The intention of 787 for NH is to replace 763, that's why they are all 2 classes

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 6, 2015 at 11:32 pm
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
All this is disappointing to hear. I have to say the last couple years I've been on the SEA-NRT route the business class meal (other than the ramen) was ok, but not much to write home about.

I'm also hearing mixed reviews on the soft product which is a little surprising since i find the FAs in ANA J to be so nice. I’m flying IAH-NRT… I’m guessing that I should skip the Japanese menu? So sad.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Since I last posted in this thread in October, I have to report that JL too has gone downhill in their F class cuisine ex-Tokyo. Just to be clear, I am talking about service ex-Japan, not inbound flights from overseas. I flew a lot more this year and had the chance to try each of the 4 seasonal menus at least once each ex-Japan and the JL F catering was significantly better in the early part of this year whereas the autumn and winter 2015 menus had significant signs of cost cutting. It used to be JL will have menus by two different Michelin star chefs, one for Japanese and one for Western menu. Ryugin is still available, even then you can tell the quality is significantly worse than earlier this year. Western menu is no longer catered by a Michelin star chef, and it's not just in the reputation - the quality is significantly worse in every way. Western menus in the earlier part of 2015 was actually special and memorable - now, not so much.

It seems JL has a bad habit of copying ANA - whatever NH does, JL copies it. Hopefully, this is just a cycle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.