Does NH offer upgrades at the counter?

Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Does NH offer upgrades at the counter?

I'm booked on a mixed class and carrier route trip ticket PVG-NGO-PVG on CA ticket stock.

I know it's just a short flight, but to complete the trip, the return is on NH. Last couple times I've flown NH was all already in J, but this time the return is on Y. My outbound is in J with CA.

I'm curious does NH offer counter upgrades?

Sorry I tried doing a search, but it kept giving me errors.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Generally no. Or at least if they do, it will be the full fare difference between the ticket you have and the seat they have available. There will be no bargain price for the upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Generally no. Or at least if they do, it will be the full fare difference between the ticket you have and the seat they have available. There will be no bargain price for the upgrade.
I wish there was. I would love to upgrade some of my upcoming NH long haul segements
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I was offered an upgrade once for $500 USD from Y to C once at checkin at IAD. I was told that that Y was overbooked.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
I was offered an upgrade once for $500 USD from Y to C once at checkin at IAD. I was told that that Y was overbooked.
Yep, I had a similar upgrade from Y to C for 300 GBP, LHR-NRT. It was offered to everyone irrespective of the original fare paid. I guess this only happens if they are overbooked though.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
Clever, selling what they will have to give for free otherwise. I would probably take it though if it was offered to me. Never happened to me though.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
I wish there was. I would love to upgrade some of my upcoming NH long haul segements
+1.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Clever, selling what they will have to give for free otherwise. I would probably take it though if it was offered to me. Never happened to me though.
I have also been asked the same thing. At least they were honest about it. The agent said "the flight is overbooked in coach and you can buy an upgrade to business class for a low upgrade fee of $500, or we will most likely end up having to give the upgrade to someone for FREE..." IIRC, nobody took the bait and they did end up having to give away the free upgrade.(and no, not to me )
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I know I've posted these experiences elsewhere but am not sure where that thread is buried... somewhere around here undoubtedly.

Generally I pre-confirm my upgrades with miles or upgrade points, 95% of the time C to F, and a few times Y to C. I have never done same day upgrades with upgrade instruments.

I have a couple of data points to add to the discussion.

1.) Perhaps 3 years ago in Shanghai, I was offered a buy up (when I asked) at the ticket counter from Y to C on a flight to Narita. I am not 100% sure on the cost these days, but I want to say $200-$300. Pulled the trigger. I am not sure if Y was oversold, but that may explain it....

2.) Because on another occasion I tried to pull the same thing at the ticket counter in PVG and was told I'd need to buy a whole new ticket and waste my existing one. And I was on a bloody Y fare. No go. I sat in Y. This was also a few years ago.

I have never, once, seen NH offer any upgrades for any class of service at the gate @ SFO or NRT, but that's just one person's experience. Besides, I spend most of my time at the lounge vs hanging around with the gate lice.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:36 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
NH does offer a same-day cash upgrade service for flights that are overbooked in Y: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/loc...vice/plantrip/

It's not a good deal for every route.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Thanks guys. I'll probably just settle for Y. It's only two three hours and I wanted to end the trip in J. It's not like it'll be my last time flying.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by armagebedar
NH does offer a same-day cash upgrade service for flights that are overbooked in Y: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/loc...vice/plantrip/

It's not a good deal for every route.
That's good to know. Does anyone have any experience with this? How many pax actually take NH up on the offer to buy up in oversold situations? Or does NH typically end up giving these away for free. If for free, do they off a complimentary upgrade to their *A Gold customers, perhaps based on fare class booked?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
That's good to know. Does anyone have any experience with this? How many pax actually take NH up on the offer to buy up in oversold situations? Or does NH typically end up giving these away for free. If for free, do they off a complimentary upgrade to their *A Gold customers, perhaps based on fare class booked?
If given for free it will generally go to the ANA Diamond and Platinum members. Other Star Alliance Gold cards even coming after *S from NH. Though I have landed a couple of upgrades on my Scandinavian Airlines card, they are definitely rare and unlikely for partner Gold cards.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I flew HKG-NRT (followed by NRT-SFO on UA) that was in J on the UA leg and Y on the HKG leg. When I arrived and checked in I saw my BP printed with a C on it and got rather excited as Y was overbooked and they upgraded me.

*G and wasn't on full fare nor super discount Y fare.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

last year we flew iAd-nrt-iad. tried to up ug from C to F. there were 4 seats available. was told i could not, as they did not have proper food available. tried to ug this year, a week in advance from C to f. got danced around and around until i said thank you, and sat in C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.