ANA 787 Y Seats

Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
ANA 787 Y Seats

I have just flown NRT-SIN and SIN-HND in the 787 in economy.

These seats are truly awful. They decided instead of reclining backrests that the seat cushion instead moves forward. The problem is that for most people your knee are already up against the seat in front.

I will avoid these like the plaque in future.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by BritinJapan
I have just flown NRT-SIN and SIN-HND in the 787 in economy.

These seats are truly awful. They decided instead of reclining backrests that the seat cushion instead moves forward. The problem is that for most people your knee are already up against the seat in front.

I will avoid these like the plaque in future.
With the standard of Japanese dentists, you should definitely avoid the plaque.

Welcome to Flyertalk, by the way. Hope you find it useful here.

You are not alone in hating these style seats, but at least you don't have anyone reclining into you. If legroom is an issue for you, you can normally get exit row seats on check-in if you ask nicely and look a bit taller than the average Japanese pax.
These seats are also on NH's international 77Ws, albeit with more legroom (34"). Some of the long haul 787s have them too with 34" spacing. Newer longer haul 787s apparently have proper reclining Y seats, but in 9 abreast seating so that may not appeal too much either. No idea if the regional-type 787s will end up getting the newer narrow seats with proper recline at any time soon, or if new deliveries/conversions will stay slidey 8 abreast.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA
Just flew ANA 787 from SIN-NRT in the 8 abreast seating. Was in 2nd to last row aisle seat - 33C. I agree that these seats are horrible for any flight lasting longer than 2 hours. I'm 5'9" but the fact that you don't get any recline is almost torture.

In addition, they store something underneath the aisle seat, so you almost have to turn your outside leg inward to stretch out.

Can't imagine flying this thing trans-pacific.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:38 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The 2-4-2 configuration is actually preferable to the 3-3-3 configuration used for long-haul flights.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by pbartp
Just flew ANA 787 from SIN-NRT in the 8 abreast seating. Was in 2nd to last row aisle seat - 33C. I agree that these seats are horrible for any flight lasting longer than 2 hours. I'm 5'9" but the fact that you don't get any recline is almost torture.

In addition, they store something underneath the aisle seat, so you almost have to turn your outside leg inward to stretch out.

Flew it SJC-NRT and back. I actually liked the seats a lot and thought they were comfortable, but I'm also 5'4".
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Took ANA flight SIN-HND on B767-300 years ago and had exactly the same
feeling as below. Yes, torture
After the flights I sent very negative comment to ANA, but it seems
that my opinion was fully ignored... regret.

Originally Posted by pbartp

Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Flew it SJC-NRT and back. I actually liked the seats a lot and thought they were comfortable, but I'm also 5'4".
Ha! I got you beat- I'm 5'3"!

-AD
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance (ANA--no status yet)
I fly the NRT - SEA in the "slide forward" seats and I'm 6'3". It is pretty flipping awful.

People that complain about "someone reclining into my space"....well....they have now seen the alternative and I hope they are happy!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by doughpat
I fly the NRT - SEA in the "slide forward" seats and I'm 6'3". It is pretty flipping awful.

People that complain about "someone reclining into my space"....well....they have now seen the alternative and I hope they are happy!
+1
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 100K

that's exactly what I thought when I first flew that config a couple years ago on SEA-NRT. But after flying NRT-SEA (earlier this month) on the newly configured 9-across 787, OMG, that was the WORST flying in Y i've been on and that's coming from someone who's flown a lot in Y. I'll take the sliding seat with 8-accross seating ANY DAY!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:23 pm

I am and it is one of the reasons I use both Japanese carriers.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
that's exactly what I thought when I first flew that config a couple years ago on SEA-NRT. But after flying NRT-SEA (earlier this month) on the newly configured 9-across 787, OMG, that was the WORST flying in Y i've been on and that's coming from someone who's flown a lot in Y. I'll take the sliding seat with 8-accross seating ANY DAY!
Can Y discomfort get any worse?

LAX
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Just got off a NH 787 flight HND-BKK....I was in 13D (Bulkhead) on the 8 across version. I paid for a round trip but I will not set foot on that bird ever again....I will instead use miles on a TG flight to return to Tokyo, thats how bad this 787 "Y" seat was for me. Never again will I inflict that kind of hurt on my body.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:47 am

It looks like ANA have planned convert the 2-4-2 to 3-3-3 .

JA804A have converted to 3-3-3 last month,and flew Taipei,Bangkok and Singapore.

So,222 seats(2-4-2) are JA801A,JA802A,JA803A,JA808A and JA815A.

maybe change the seat assignment in the future.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by kazuwox
Took ANA flight SIN-HND on B767-300 years ago and had exactly the same
feeling as below. Yes, torture
After the flights I sent very negative comment to ANA, but it seems
that my opinion was fully ignored... regret.
I actually like the 767-300 2-3-2 configuration. Much better than the new 787 3-3-3. Most likely wont be flying with ANA again after the 787 experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.