Caviar on NH F class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Caviar on NH F class?

Hi,

I am flying NRT-JFK soon on NH F on the 773 and I was wondering whether they still serve Ossetra caviar regularly. Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:52 pm

Yes.

With blini and the usuals.

And a black plastic spoon.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

nice!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I don't recall the brand, but it is different ex-NRT and ex-SFO on NH 7/8. Both are quite nice.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
This is what I had on LAX-NRT, October 2011.

Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Hi,

I am flying NRT-JFK soon on NH F on the 773 and I was wondering whether they still serve Ossetra caviar regularly. Thanks!
Ossetia wasn't the kind I had last week on NRT-LAX. Apparently they use several suppliers.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:45 pm

make sure to ask for seconds
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Prefer toast (LH) over blinis (NH).
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 5khours
Prefer toast (LH) over blinis (NH).
I'll second that!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
make sure to ask for seconds
What are you talking about?

They are individual servings and they only load one per passenger.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by Flyingfox

He is thinking about Lufthansa First. )
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox

While I haven't tried it myself, I heard some hearsay from another NH elite that it was possible given availability (e.g. everyone else has had their appetizer and hasn't ordered it).

Specifically on the subject of the caviar, I really enjoyed the chilled vodka shot which the FA offered in parallel with the plate. Those Russians sure know their food pairing...

By the way, since we're on the topic of NH F meals in a general sense, what do you all think about the amuse bouche? My thoughts as follows:

- Nice presentation, but IMHO, generally completely unappetizing.

- A strange combination of Western and Japanese flavors, including the ever present chilled jellied ball of fois gras. Really don't like cold fois gras.

- Lately I've noticed the traditional NH "breadsticks" have been rather cold and lack crunchiness, e.g. they got too moist somehow during the process, perhaps the entire amuse bouche is refrigerated as is? Illogical but..

- The FA is generally shocked when I return the dish nearly in the same state as she delivered it. Sometimes I've simply told them to skip it, which seems to elicit similar shock.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by ainternational
While I haven't tried it myself, I heard some hearsay from another NH elite that it was possible given availability (e.g. everyone else has had their appetizer and hasn't ordered it).

Specifically on the subject of the caviar, I really enjoyed the chilled vodka shot which the FA offered in parallel with the plate. Those Russians sure know their food pairing...

By the way, since we're on the topic of NH F meals in a general sense, what do you all think about the amuse bouche? My thoughts as follows:

- A strange combination of Western and Japanese flavors, including the ever present chilled jellied ball of fois gras. Really don't like cold fois gras.

- Lately I've noticed the traditional NH "breadsticks" have been rather cold and lack crunchiness, e.g. they got too moist somehow during the process, perhaps the entire amuse bouche is refrigerated as is? Illogical but..

- The FA is generally shocked when I return the dish nearly in the same state as she delivered it. Sometimes I've simply told them to skip it, which seems to elicit similar shock.
I agree. There's a lot to be said for originality, but the flavors/textures/etc have to work...... which they don't.

On the other hand I had a flounder filet as the main course recently which was outstanding.

And BTW....I don't think you should have to ask for seconds on the caviar....in this respect LH is way ahead.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational

The issue with asking for another go with the caviar is that even after the first meal, they will be reluctant to give you another as someone else may still want (theirs) later in the flight, or even as part of the second meal.
If they give you a second, another passenger would have to go without a first.

The best appetisers came with the single bread stick, the macaron, and the madeleine on a stick - all three were placed in a glass. Then they had the 3 other weird jiggly things on the plate. I think the macarons were made by Pierre Herme. This lasted about 10 seconds, and now they're back to the usual stale breadsticks and dead things in jelly. My guess is the Pierre Herme macarons were just too expensive, and they are cost cutting. But at least they still have his sweets for the desserts course. Now if they could manage to plate them properly, as he intended, and as in the photo they have loaded with the meals. His desserts need to be done properly or not done at all.

Also of note - in the caviar picture above - this is not presented properly. The FA should have removed the black "lacquer style" japanese tray first. No caviar, and no other "western" course, should be placed on that tray. It should have been removed and then replaced when the Japanese meal resumed.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Mar 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This is Ossetra caviar right? That stuff's expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.