Wiki Posts
Search

Caviar on NH F class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Does LH still serve Ossetra?
Maybe ask in the LH forum...but on my flight the other week it was served from a trolley on a dish and not individual containers.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Does LH still serve Ossetra?
I don't think anybody knows for sure. LH serves caviar from a single large tin on the trolley, so you don't get to see the container it comes from. I seem to recall from another thread that someone claimed it was paddlefish/spoonbill caviar. Having tasted it, along with how large of a tin it is served from, how easy it is to get seconds, and the claims that LH purchased 5% of the worldwide production of caviar and is the world's largest buyer of caviar, I believe this.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:15 pm

Has anyone tried the Caviar, smoked scallop and Miyazaki white sturgeon brandade gâteau-style with lemon-flavored cream concoction that NH is currently running ex-NRT? I really love ANA's traditional garnish setup and am a little disappointed that it doesn't look like that's on offer ex-NRT in Oct/Nov. Hopefully someone who's had this dish can change my disappointment into eagerness.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ChrisKSDF
Has anyone tried the Caviar, smoked scallop and Miyazaki white sturgeon brandade gâteau-style with lemon-flavored cream concoction that NH is currently running ex-NRT? I really love ANA's traditional garnish setup and am a little disappointed that it doesn't look like that's on offer ex-NRT in Oct/Nov. Hopefully someone who's had this dish can change my disappointment into eagerness.
Yes, and your intuition is correct. It is disappointing compared to the normal caviar offering, certainly in terms of caviar quantity. I, frankly, didn't care for the combination of flavors either.

Sorry.

Incidentally, it may be worth asking the FA if it's possible to have the traditional setup. Who knows. While the Japanese aren't known for their flexibility or off menu ordering, NH F FA's often do try to go over the top to make you happy... let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Unless they changed recently (which I doubt) LH serves farmed caviar from Italy.
http://www.calvisius.com/
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:25 pm

anyone have the first class menu from Sept to Nov for HND-FRA or anywhere that I can look up the pdf? Thanks so much!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:33 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Here you go: https://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/g...f_201409_m.pdf
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:49 pm
mjm
Original Member

NH has achieved the impossible. They have hands down the worst caviar offering in the sky. Even Asiana is better.

What they offer currently on HND-FRA in F:

A small jar of caviar, 3-4 pieces pf smoked fish, and a small red beer jelly form.

That is it. No cream, no onions, no egg, and only the standard bread basket as a starch.

I will not board another ANA flight until this trend is reversed. My holiday starts on the plane.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
That was clearly listed in the menu in the post above. I wonder if it was just a seasonal Holiday theme or something they were going for.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:41 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
That was clearly listed in the menu in the post above. I wonder if it was just a seasonal Holiday theme or something they were going for.
It was designed by Gagnaire and I can only assume he had a rotten cold and a bad day when he designed it. Totally amateur-ish, unappealing and not even a set of flavors that works together or with champagne. Just disgusted by it.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:11 pm

Basing your decision on what airline to fly because of some mediocre farmed caviar...

I take the caviar course just for the heck of it - but I definitely wouldn't miss it. I consider ANA's menu strong enough in the other departments that I would be more than happy without it, and same with QF (not so in the case of LH, where the caviar is the only thing redeeming on the menu).
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Agree that NH F caviar is week lately - 2014 throughout actually.

That said, still appreciate the hard and soft product.

Mjm - Was that C or F to FRA? Last I read it was two cabin 787 but someone also implied F like you. As you know, J and F aren't worthy of comparison.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:06 am
mjm
Original Member

F on a 3 class 777 from HND.

The hard is ok but it is nothing without soft. The FAs who crewed that flight were inept and not typical of NH. I cannot afford the crap shoot though, so since it costs more or less the same elsewhere I may as well try a few options (that hopefully clears up the issue for the confused poster above you). The wines that Ned picked were mediocre at best and as I have seen and tasted his selections long behind he hit the MW and joined NH I can only imagine corporate is messing up his wish list. The red miso soup was good, the white musk soul was identical to Yoshinoya's. On the balance but up to snuff lately, not hardly. Have given them two chances in F on different routes in the past month, time to move the money around a bit.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mjm
F on a 3 class 777 from HND.

The hard is ok but it is nothing without soft. The FAs who crewed that flight were inept and not typical of NH. I cannot afford the crap shoot though, so since it costs more or less the same elsewhere I may as well try a few options (that hopefully clears up the issue for the confused poster above you). The wines that Ned picked were mediocre at best and as I have seen and tasted his selections long behind he hit the MW and joined NH I can only imagine corporate is messing up his wish list. The red miso soup was good, the white musk soul was identical to Yoshinoya's. On the balance but up to snuff lately, not hardly. Have given them two chances in F on different routes in the past month, time to move the money around a bit.
Yoshinoya... ouch!

As compared to recent experiences in TG F, I'd agree that NH is losing its edge on the service side.

I literally dreaded every experience with the purser on my last flight as I can hardly recall a time in the past several years - in my life actually - where I have had to consistently interact with someone with such a horrible, foul stench to their breath that I literally questioned how they could not have been aware of it.

Even when the FA's recognize me in the F cabin from frequent travels, I find the overall experience going downhill in the past few years. They used to make a specific effort to create little "wow" moments on each flight which, other than my birthday experience this year - which was great -, they don't seem to do any more. This would include little things like origami flowers left sitting next to you while you slept, a hand written post card or holiday card from the FA team and/or pilot, or a small gift - or even an acknowledgement of one's status.

On the other hand, I also feel like consistent experiences in F products have jaded me to the point of having higher and higher expectations which perhaps will never be truly met. Definitely first world problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.