Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
When making a request, please specify the following for each segment for us to give you a more accurate calculation:
  • Origin
  • Destination
  • Date of departure
  • Carrier
  • Travel class

Also note that you can search for your itinerary on ITA Matrix to get an estimate of taxes and fees.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

[Moderator note: this thread is for questions regarding fuel surcharges on award redemptions booked via ANA Mileage Club. For fuel surcharges for award redemptions booked on other FFPs, please see the respective forum. Thanks!]

Does ANA charge fuel surcharges/YQ for awards on Qatar Airways (QR)? It looks like they do have YQ on revenue tickets (per ITA), but I wasn't sure if ANA charged it.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered--I couldn't find it anywhere though.

Last edited by armagebedar; Nov 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 6:35 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by ijk3234
Does ANA charge fuel surcharges/YQ for awards on Qatar Airways (QR)? It looks like they do have YQ on revenue tickets (per ITA), but I wasn't sure if ANA charged it.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered--I couldn't find it anywhere though.
Sadly, these can't be booked online so I can't check for you. I recommend calling ANA to ask.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:09 pm

YQ / fuel surcharge on partner / UA / US and other redemptions

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything.
Does anyone know the amount of fuel surcharges on VS, QR, EY, 9W, and MH on tickets they have booked?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:14 pm

Fuel Surcharges on Partner Airlines

The amount depends on your routing. What route are you interested in? NH generally charges all taxes and fuel surcharges on a redemption as is levied on a paid ticket, so if you do a search on ITA the amount displayed will be approximately what you can expect to pay on a redemption.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Is it safe to say that a business ANA award *A partner like JFK - GVA - IST - NRT - BKK - SYD - AKL - MEL - LAX - JFK would incur fuel surcharges > $1k per ticket? This assumes not flying any US carriers.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch
Is it safe to say that a business ANA award *A partner like JFK - GVA - IST - NRT - BKK - SYD - AKL - MEL - LAX - JFK would incur fuel surcharges > $1k per ticket? This assumes not flying any US carriers.
I don't have enough miles to test book this, but I think taxes/surcharges of around USD1,000+ would be realistic, depending on the carriers you fly. (I assume you would have to fly UA on the LAX-JFK segment, BTW.)
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
The amount depends on your routing. What route are you interested in? NH generally charges all taxes and fuel surcharges on a redemption as is levied on a paid ticket, so if you do a search on ITA the amount displayed will be approximately what you can expect to pay on a redemption.
I thought EY and QR don't have fuel surcharges. I know *A do, so other partners do? You've booked tickets on them before?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I thought EY and QR don't have fuel surcharges. I know *A do, so other partners do? You've booked tickets on them before?
I've never booked them before, but I've heard that they both charge YQ on routes to and from Japan. I'm not sure about other routes.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:55 am

YQ on LAX-ICN route

Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum and I am trying to find the best way to use my AMEX MR points to claim business tickets LAX to ICN.

ANA seems to be a good choice for me as they do not have any blackout dates.

However, I found many threads mentioning a large YQ on award tickets on NH flights.

I do not want to make a transfer until I confirm the YQ amount. I spent some time searching through the forums, but i could not get a clear answer.

Does anyone know amount of YQ for LAX-ICN route? at least in the ball park range?

I would greatly appreciate your help!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:47 am

These YQ are brutal. And it looks like some is charged even for US Airlines. As a test I priced out:

CLTus- JFKlx - GVAlh - MUClh - CDGus - CLT in Business and taxes/fees were $1150 a ticket!!!!!

CLTus - EWRua - GVAlh - MUClh - CDGus - CLT in Business was $770 a ticket!

What a rip-off!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:21 pm

no longer active

I have been searching for a US to Europe Business Class Award. I have noticed, ANA applies the YQ fuel surcharge to its award tickets. However, US Airways has no YQ, on neither its revenue tickets nor award tickets.

When making a dummy booking PHL - FRA return on ANA, if I include both legs LH the YQ of $400 each way is included for a total of $800. If I make both legs US Airways, the site can't calculate the taxes/fees. If I make 1 leg LH and the return US, or vice-versa, The YQ comes up as $400 and then another $400 in the "other taxes" section. I think this is where they are trying to apply $400 in taxes for the US Airways leg, although US Airways doesn't charge this.

To me this appears to be a glitch, and one in which ANA is overcharging each passenger that flies a US leg if they are collecting on it when US doesn't charge them it to begin with (for a supposedly "free ticket").

Your thoughts?

Last edited by beofotch; Aug 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch
I have been searching for a US to Europe Business Class Award. I have noticed, ANA applies the YQ fuel surcharge to its award tickets. However, US Airways has no YQ, on neither its revenue tickets nor award tickets.

When making a dummy booking PHL - FRA return on ANA, if I include both legs LH the YQ of $400 each way is included for a total of $800. If I make both legs US Airways, the site can't calculate the taxes/fees. If I make 1 leg LH and the return US, or vice-versa, The YQ comes up as $400 and then another $400 in the "other taxes" section. I think this is where they are trying to apply $400 in taxes for the US Airways leg, although US Airways doesn't charge this.

To me this appears to be a glitch, and one in which ANA is overcharging each passenger that flies a US leg if they are collecting on it when US doesn't charge them it to begin with (for a supposedly "free ticket").

Your thoughts?
That`s the way JAL and ANA operate. If you don`t like it then go redeem miles with a us based carrier to avoid or reduce YQ would be all i can suggest.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: United 1K / Delta DM
US doesn't have YQ fuel surcharge but they do have Q fuel surcharge . Unfortunately NH is one of the few airlines (SQ/KE...) that charges both YQ and Q on their award tickets .
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: all
Same thing on United Flights also. ANA charges YQ on United flights even though United does not charge it
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by rikjj00
Does anyone know amount of YQ for LAX-ICN route? at least in the ball park range?
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the ANA forum, rikjj00!

I'm not sure when you're traveling, but for a RT itinerary all on NH metal, YQ (fuel surcharge) on NH will run about USD 600, with another USD 110 in US, Japan, and Korean taxes. I hope that helps you make your decision!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.