Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
When making a request, please specify the following for each segment for us to give you a more accurate calculation:
  • Origin
  • Destination
  • Date of departure
  • Carrier
  • Travel class

Also note that you can search for your itinerary on ITA Matrix to get an estimate of taxes and fees.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:36 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Although I feel your pain, ANA is up front about charging taxes and other surcharges as levied on the equivalent paid ticket. I would obviously rather they follow the trend set by UA and not pass these fees on, but the global standard is unfortunately on NH's side and not UA's.

As for your example with US, beofotch, a dummy search on ITA does not reveal YQ or any other fee approaching USD400. However, in the fare rules is the following note:

Code:
  ORIGINATING THE UNITED STATES OUTBOUND -
    A SURCHARGE OF USD 403.00 FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED
    TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL FOR TRANSATLANTIC
    SECTORS.
         NOTE -
          THIS SURCHARGE IS GOVERNED BY GENERAL RULE 10 AND
          IS ASSESSED FOR ANY FARE-PAYING PASSENGER EACH
          TIME TRAVEL INVOLVES AN ENPLANEMENT ON A US
          TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT TO/FROM/VIA U.S.A./CANADA.
          -EXCEPTION- THIS SURCHARGE DOES NOT APPLY TO
             PASSENGERS TRAVELING ON ANY US FREE TICKET.
          1. THE SURCHARGE SHALL BE CONVERTED TO THE
             APPLICABLE CURRENCY FOR THE COUNTRY OF
             COMMENCEMENT OF TRANSPORTATION IN ACCORDANCE
             WITH THE APPROPRIATE IATA RATE OF EXCHANGE.
          2. THE SURCHARGE APPLIES IN ADDITION TO ALL OTHER
             CHARGES AND IS NOT SUBJECT TO ANY DISCOUNT.
  ORIGINATING THE UNITED STATES INBOUND -
    SECTORS.
         NOTE -
Translated, this means that US does not levy this USD403 fee on its own award tickets, but does on its paid tickets. Also, any partner that passes on fees on award tickets will also charge this USD403 fee. It's a bit underhanded to put it in the fare rules like this, but it is not a glitch. (Edit: Apparently NH redemption system charges this fee in error, as it is technically part of the fare.)

Originally Posted by pantanal
Same thing on United Flights also. ANA charges YQ on United flights even though United does not charge it
If you mean UA doesn't charge YQ when redeeming miles with their own FFP (Mileage Plus), then yes -- but UA does indeed charge YQ on paid flights, which NH passes on when redeeming miles with AMC.

Last edited by armagebedar; Aug 15, 2012 at 6:36 am Reason: Edited to add updated info
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Simmo
That`s the way JAL and ANA operate. If you don`t like it then go redeem miles with a us based carrier to avoid or reduce YQ would be all i can suggest.
That is incorrect. JAL does not charge extra YQ on partner redemption. Notice it's only ~USD52 on tax and surcharge when redeeming on AA metal using JMB miles

Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pantanal
Same thing on United Flights also. ANA charges YQ on United flights even though United does not charge it
UA now includes a YQ component of the fare breakdown of its transatlantic flights. However, US Airways does not.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:26 am

Another data point that something glitchy is going on:

Search originating in the USA:
PHL-FRA
FRA-PHL

On any combination of LH or US you get taxes and fees of $980

However, search originating in Europe:
FRA-PHL
PHL-FRA

On any combination of LH or US you get taxes and fees of $440. This to me seems more reasonable. Why are they charging more originating in the US than in Europe? This is sort of like Delta's infamous "International Origination Surcharge".
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by beofotch
Another data point that something glitchy is going on:

Search originating in the USA:
PHL-FRA
FRA-PHL

On any combination of LH or US you get taxes and fees of $980

However, search originating in Europe:
FRA-PHL
PHL-FRA

On any combination of LH or US you get taxes and fees of $440. This to me seems more reasonable. Why are they charging more originating in the US than in Europe? This is sort of like Delta's infamous "International Origination Surcharge".
When I checked this on LH's booking engine I got roughly the same amounts (P class ex-US, Z class ex-EU), so this is not an issue on NH's part.

Edit: apparently, someone booking an itinerary very much like beofotch's contacted NH for an explanation, and was told that the fees quoted above were in error. I assume that NH's system was interpreting the fare rules as I did above, when in fact they should not be adding the additional USD403 fee to that itinerary, nor to any other US reservation. I had assumed the opposite based upon my experience booking with NH, but I'm glad that they are taking this particular stance on the matter. Good news from NH, but I hope they fix their system to account for this going forward.

Last edited by armagebedar; Aug 15, 2012 at 6:35 am Reason: Edited post to reflect updated information
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Edit: apparently, someone booking an itinerary very much like beofotch's contacted NH for an explanation, and was told that the fees quoted above were in error. I assume that NH's system was interpreting the fare rules as I did above, when in fact they should not be adding the additional USD403 fee to that itinerary, nor to any other US reservation. I had assumed the opposite based upon my experience booking with NH, but I'm glad that they are taking this particular stance on the matter. Good news from NH, but I hope they fix their system to account for this going forward.
Very interesting.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Although I feel your pain, ANA is up front about charging taxes and other surcharges as levied on the equivalent paid ticket. I would obviously rather they follow the trend set by UA and not pass these fees on, but the global standard is unfortunately on NH's side and not UA's.

As for your example with US, beofotch, a dummy search on ITA does not reveal YQ or any other fee approaching USD400. However, in the fare rules is the following note:

Code:
  ORIGINATING THE UNITED STATES OUTBOUND -
    SECTORS.
         NOTE -
  ORIGINATING THE UNITED STATES INBOUND -
    SECTORS.
         NOTE -
Translated, this means that US does not levy this USD403 fee on its own award tickets, but does on its paid tickets. Also, any partner that passes on fees on award tickets will also charge this USD403 fee. It's a bit underhanded to put it in the fare rules like this, but it is not a glitch. (Edit: Apparently NH redemption system charges this fee in error, as it is technically part of the fare.)

If you mean UA doesn't charge YQ when redeeming miles with their own FFP (Mileage Plus), then yes -- but UA does indeed charge YQ on paid flights, which NH passes on when redeeming miles with AMC.
Ok, then according to ITA EY does not have YQ.

Fare 1: Carrier EY ARTUS NYC to AUH (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code A
Covers JFK-AUH (First)
CA$10,363.24
Fare 2: Carrier EY FRTUS AUH to NYC (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code F
Covers AUH-JFK (First)
CA$12,073.99
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.70
United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP) $1.40
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE) $20.40
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00

Subtotal per passenger CA$22,516.83
Number of passengers x1

Total airfare & taxes CA$22,516.83

Can someone with enough NH miles call the desk and check?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:25 pm

For whatever its worth, recently did a redemption for 2 C-class awards (1-way) on NRT-SEA and it was around $750 for both, so over $350 in fees/surcharges per ticket. Ouch.

Redeemed via Air Canada Aeroplan. Wish I had seen that before xfering the miles from Amex!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Innerloop
For whatever its worth, recently did a redemption for 2 C-class awards (1-way) on NRT-SEA and it was around $750 for both, so over $350 in fees/surcharges per ticket. Ouch.

Redeemed via Air Canada Aeroplan. Wish I had seen that before xfering the miles from Amex!
Aeroplan charges YQ on ANA which is collected by Air Canada, but they won't admit it. A total scam - also applies to all *A except UA, US,TK and LX (for now I believe). You should have transfered AMEX to US or UA which do not charge the YQ I believe.
Stefan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by sp4294
Aeroplan charges YQ on ANA which is collected by Air Canada, but they won't admit it. A total scam - also applies to all *A except UA, US,TK and LX (for now I believe). You should have transfered AMEX to US or UA which do not charge the YQ I believe.
Stefan
Which of course you cannot do directly in the case of US or at all, practically, in the case of UA.

The only thing you could have done is transferred Amex:Aeroplan, then use points.com to transfer from Aeroplan:USAirways at a rate of 1:0.84 -- this actually makes an awful lot of sense for Asia awards because they don't charge YQ and US Air only wants 90K miles round trip from North America to Asia in Business, whereas Aeroplan wants 120K. So you can transfer 108K Amex to Aeroplan, then 108K Aeroplan to 90K US, and book without YQ. Save $350 + 12K miles.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:32 pm

I just checked:

CLT - PHL - MAD (all US metal)
BRU - JFK - CLT (SN and US metal)

ANA website booking engine reports $967.20 in fees, with $428 in airline fuel surcharge and 447 of "others", even outside of embarkation tax/customs fees/security fees.

When I look on ITA Matrix - BRU - JFK on SN should have EUR134 in YQ and the US legs have no YQ.

How the hell does ANA come up with the $875 in YQ + Others for something that should be about $180 (EUR134).

Even when I call they acknowledge the US airways problem, but the taxes fees still come to $550, $424 of which is YQ on BRU - JFK which should be EUR134.

Last edited by beofotch; Aug 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:28 pm

I called and ANA came back with a YQ of $355 each way for NYC - AUH - NYC on EY. Where they got it from, I don't know.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Ok, then according to ITA EY does not have YQ.

Fare 1: Carrier EY ARTUS NYC to AUH (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code A
Covers JFK-AUH (First)
CA$10,363.24
Fare 2: Carrier EY FRTUS AUH to NYC (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code F
Covers AUH-JFK (First)
CA$12,073.99
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.70
United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP) $1.40
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE) $20.40
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00

Subtotal per passenger CA$22,516.83
Number of passengers x1

Total airfare & taxes CA$22,516.83

Can someone with enough NH miles call the desk and check?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:35 pm

I called and ANA came back with a YQ of $355 each way for NYC - AUH - NYC on EY. Where they got it from, I don't know.
Once again this is a case of ANA being more right than anyone else (as with their Star Alliance award availability tool) There is a fuel surcharge, but remember that not all fuel surcharges are itemized as taxes (YQ or YR in the XT section). A number of airlines collect fuel surcharges as "embedded Q" surcharges in the fare construction's surcharges section -- EY and KE among them. Looking up the fare rules you'll find the following under Surcharges:

ORIGINATING THE UNITED STATES -
FOR TICKETING ON/AFTER 04JUN 12
A FUEL SURCHARGE OF USD 355.00 FARE COMPONENT WILL
BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ADULT/CHILD/
INFANT.

And ITA displays this as part of the fare construction:

NYC EY AUH Q355.00 7221.50RRTUS EY NYC Q355.00 7221.50RRTUS NUC 15153.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 33.40US 2.50AY 20.40AE 1.40TP 4.50XF JFK4.50

So with respect to fuel surcharges on EY, if it's ANA's policy to collect airline fuel surcharges they're doing it right. You can argue fairness of the policy all day, but they're sticking by it!

Last edited by arcticbull; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:43 pm

I just checked:

CLT - PHL - MAD (all US metal)
BRU - JFK - CLT (SN and US metal)

ANA website booking engine reports $967.20 in fees, with $428 in airline fuel surcharge and 447 of "others", even outside of embarkation tax/customs fees/security fees.

When I look on ITA Matrix - BRU - JFK on SN should have EUR134 in YQ and the US legs have no YQ.

How the hell does ANA come up with the $875 in YQ + Others for something that should be about $180 (EUR134).

Even when I call they acknowledge the US airways problem, but the taxes fees still come to $550, $424 of which is YQ on BRU - JFK which should be EUR134.
Interestingly it there's a large surcharge of about $248 that US applies to their transatlantic flights. They add it as an "embedded Q" surcharge, but state only that it's "governed by general rule 10" and I think that NH is picking it up as a fuel surcharge. Exactly what it is, though, I'm not sure. More investigation is needed.

As for the $424 on Brussels, that's what it used to be. I remember that for sure. It appears to have been drastically cut somewhat recently.

Last edited by arcticbull; Aug 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:23 pm

Finally made a successful booking that was not a rip-off:

2x Business Class
CLT-PHL-MAN-BRU // ZRH - MUC // MUC - MAN - PHL - CLT

The transatlantic legs are on US Airways (no YQ), and MAN-BRU is on SN; ZRH - MUC is on LH; and MUC - MAN is on SQ (in Y)

68,000 ANA miles and ~$330 per ticket in taxes and fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.