Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated ANA in-flight wifi thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I loathe the idea of WiFi on planes because I still like that it is one place left in the world I cannot be expected to be reached.
However, I'm flying JFK-NRT in a few days and NRT-ORD mid-month so I can report back. Sitting window side facing north would be neat to post at least one Facebook photo of the snow and ice.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I loathe the idea of WiFi on planes because I still like that it is one place left in the world I cannot be expected to be reached.
If you don't log on, no one can reach you. @:-)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by armagebedar
ANA has finally announced the start of their inflight wi-fi service on 777-300ER and 767-300ER aircraft with the relevant logo. Service will be provided by OnAir.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/pr.../140226-2.html

However, prices will not be cheap:
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
However, I'm flying JFK-NRT in a few days and NRT-ORD mid-month so I can report back. Sitting window side facing north would be neat to post at least one Facebook photo of the snow and ice.
5mb for $6 is what one picture? For maximum benefit you should make it an instagram that is shared simultaneously on Twitter and FB Might as well make that 5mb spread to as many places as possible (and I'll be doing NRT - IAD in 6 weeks so we'll see if they have it (though unlikely since it's switching back to a 772 by the time I fly)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
If you don't log on, no one can reach you. @:-)
But when you used to have a boss saying "they have WiFi on their planes so make sure you get on email because we have to do this, this , this and that…" some people may enjoy the excuse to turn off.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
5mb for $6 is what one picture? For maximum benefit you should make it an instagram that is shared simultaneously on Twitter and FB Might as well make that 5mb spread to as many places as possible (and I'll be doing NRT - IAD in 6 weeks so we'll see if they have it (though unlikely since it's switching back to a 772 by the time I fly)
A photo that is uploaded is less than 1mb…but the second you turn on Facebook after a few hours inactive updating all your feed and info will probably put it over 5mb.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
ANA has finally announced the start of their inflight wi-fi service on 777-300ER and 767-300ER aircraft with the relevant logo. Service will be provided by OnAir.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/pr.../140226-2.html

However, prices will not be cheap:
They have got to be joking on the prices. Look at bit at their alliances partners, TK free of charge. My last flight on UA (SFO MEX) flat rate USD8.99 for the entire flight. Unless there is a work "emergency", they should not expect to find me among their customers for WiFi...
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
What kind of prices are those...?! Unrealistic.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They have got to be joking on the prices. Look at bit at their alliances partners, TK free of charge. My last flight on UA (SFO MEX) flat rate USD8.99 for the entire flight. Unless there is a work "emergency", they should not expect to find me among their customers for WiFi...
like tg a380 wifi prices? thses seem pretty close to thai's prices... which are rediculous
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by yerffej201
like tg a380 wifi prices? thses seem pretty close to thai's prices... which are rediculous
OnAir also supply Thai so makes sense. They also supply Emirates which have a little bit more sensible pricing (25mb/$15). But for any meaningful use these costs are crazy.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BalbC
OnAir also supply Thai so makes sense. They also supply Emirates which have a little bit more sensible pricing (25mb/$15). But for any meaningful use these costs are crazy.
Is the OnAir service generally considered superior to the cheaper options such as that which is available on international UA flights?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
Is the OnAir service generally considered superior to the cheaper options such as that which is available on international UA flights?
My experience on UA (and on TK) is quite positive, good speed and good stability. So I would not be willing to pay extra for a "better" connection.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Also what are the wifi status of the 787's? Flew JA801A recently on a domestic (loved it, even more so for the first 787 in service) and there was a protected wifi network with the aircraft registration on it... Did see some sort of satcom/wifi logo on the outside, so wondering what that is all about...
I'm wondering why the 767/777-300's were outfitted BEFORE the 787.

I still don't see any mention of in-flight wifi on 787's...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:27 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I imagine that the approval process for the 767s/777s was underway with MLIT and the JAA before NH took delivery of their 787s.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I imagine that the approval process for the 767s/777s was underway with MLIT and the JAA before NH took delivery of their 787s.
Boeing didn't have a solution to add antenna for the 788 since the fuselage was made with composite. That's why it wasn't on the plan initially. Boeing only solved the problem last year if I recall correctly.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Anyone know if the wifi is available on NH 1011? I know the seating configuration is still old, but does that have any bearing on the wifi installation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.