Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer from Delta to Alitalia at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Transfer from Delta to Alitalia at JFK

So, I have to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 for a Domestic arrival, on DL, transfering to an International departure on Alitalia, right?

Is there a way to do this "air side", so we don't have to go through security again? Also, is 1 hour 45 minutes enough? If we don't have to go through security, I figured it's plenty.

Also, since it is the same itinerary, when I check in for the first flight on DL, I can also check in for the Alitalia flight, right?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Sterile Transfer not available

Unfortunately sterile transfer between T2/3 and T1 is not available. Your domestic Delta flight may arrive at either T2 or T3. From the arrivals level it is a short walk to T1, or there is the "AirTrain", a monorail available outside of security which serves all of the terminals (T2/3 share a stop). 1h45 should be plenty of time, as long as you have already obtained a boarding pass for your connecting flight with baggage checked through, and do not need to check-in otherwise with AZ. T1 security can get crowded during the evening peak, but it moves.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So, I have to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 for a Domestic arrival, on DL, transfering to an International departure on Alitalia, right?

Is there a way to do this "air side", so we don't have to go through security again? Also, is 1 hour 45 minutes enough? If we don't have to go through security, I figured it's plenty.

Also, since it is the same itinerary, when I check in for the first flight on DL, I can also check in for the Alitalia flight, right?
Airside transfer is not possible as stated by the previous post. As for boarding pass, about a year ago, DL could not issue a boarding pass for me, they asked me to go to the AZ check-in/transfer desk for the boarding pass.

Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Airside transfer is not possible as stated by the previous post. As for boarding pass, about a year ago, DL could not issue a boarding pass for me, they asked me to go to the AZ check-in/transfer desk for the boarding pass.
Really? I figured it would be very easy for DL to give us our Alitalia boarding passes. Oh well, at least we are in Biz, so any lines we DO have to get into will probably be easier than the regular lines.

Oh well, wish me luck!! Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Southwest A-List
JFK 90 min or ATL 150 min

I have a choice of a 90 minute connection SFO-JFK Delta to JFK-FCO Alitalia or flying Delta through ATL with a 150 min connection.

Is 90 comfortable t4 to t1 in JFK?

Is the rush from t4 to t1 worth having a shorter duration flight? The departure time through JFK is also slightly better for me.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
90 minute is okay, it will take you 15 minutes plus the unpredictable security line. Remember there is a priority line in front of the mess, it's not very useful but it helps a bit.

Unless the AF lounge reopens by then I advise going to the Alitalia lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Don'tDance
Is 90 comfortable t4 to t1 in JFK?
It partially depends on how fast you can walk. T4 is very long - from the furthest gate to baggage claim is over a mile. I landed Tuesday night and it took a while just to get to the end of the terminal (even with the people movers, which often are out of service). Then the air train and the security line at T1, which is often long, even for priority... if it were me, I'd go with the longer connection time. Personally, I'd rather not start a trip rushing and feeling pressured, I'd rather take my time and relax in the lounge if I'm early. But that's just MHO, it really depends on the kind of traveler you are, whether you prefer to allow for extra time or rush.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by ShopAround
It partially depends on how fast you can walk. T4 is very long - from the furthest gate to baggage claim is over a mile. I landed Tuesday night and it took a while just to get to the end of the terminal (even with the people movers, which often are out of service). Then the air train and the security line at T1, which is often long, even for priority... if it were me, I'd go with the longer connection time. Personally, I'd rather not start a trip rushing and feeling pressured, I'd rather take my time and relax in the lounge if I'm early. But that's just MHO, it really depends on the kind of traveler you are, whether you prefer to allow for extra time or rush.
Considering the impact of a delay or missed flight, I am opting for the longer connection through Atlanta. Thanks for the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.