Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worthless AZ miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Worthless AZ miles?

I needed one way tickets (2) for GF and I LIN-FCO in Sept. SInce I have 42k, checked and AZ/MM wants 24k plus 98 euro for the two one ways. Instead, I paid 106 euro total for two-the same flights.

No DL flights show on the award link, so I guess you need to call?. I could use two one ways in the US on DL.

Oh well, Freccia Alata Plus sounded nice at least and got me lounge access at BKK, TPE, LAX, SHA, and CAN. I didn't go out of my way to use ST, well maybe once as AA wanted more for a BKK-LAX RT and no guarantee of UPG so I went with PE/J on CI instead.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:17 am

I tried to understand why the miles were worthless, it seems you just did not have enough (by the way, who ever uses an award for a domestic flight in Italy?). But with 22/126 words being acronyms (including 7 airports that had nothing to do with the domestic award) it was rather difficult getting the picture.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There are few European FFPs for which domestic/European flights are a good use of miles.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by KLouis
I tried to understand why the miles were worthless, it seems you just did not have enough (by the way, who ever uses an award for a domestic flight in Italy?). But with 22/126 words being acronyms (including 7 airports that had nothing to do with the domestic award) it was rather difficult getting the picture.
Plenty of miles for the awards, but the taxes and fees were only about 10 euros less than just buying the tickets.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There are few European FFPs for which domestic/European flights are a good use of miles.
Like I said, DL awards seem to be unavailable for AZ miles, so need to burn these before they become completely worthless. Maybe not the best use, but that's what I needed. Hope that another airline steps up and takes them over and credits the MM balance.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by rbAA
Like I said, DL awards seem to be unavailable for AZ miles, so need to burn these before they become completely worthless. Maybe not the best use, but that's what I needed. Hope that another airline steps up and takes them over and credits the MM balance.
DL awards are not the best use of AZ miles. Using airlines other than AZ requires the use of the multi-carrier award table.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
DL awards are not the best use of AZ miles. Using airlines other than AZ requires the use of the multi-carrier award table.
True, but it's always a matter of what you need. At 20k per one way coach or 40k one business within the US, the AZ miles were basically worth what DL miles are going for. The award seats were available for DL miles, which I don't have, but not AZ/MM which I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.