Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
If they go belly up, would they still be obligated to rebook existing reservations with a partner? Or refund money/points? Or nothing at all?
Originally Posted by jmj10
Been following this very closely, as my husband and I are flying from BOS-FCO and back May 5th and May 14th. Really coming down to the wire for a decision.I know that our CC company will reimburse for the flight, but am also curious about rebooking on a partner airline (such as AirFrance or Delta).
As far as I can gauge from what I've been reading but also from past experiences (incidentally, AZ back in 2008), the special commissioner will be working on various fronts but, most of all: lessors (to make sure that planes don't get grounded basically, even though I strongly doubt they will be willing to negotiate any favourable terms), tickets and day-to-day operations such as maximising aircraft rotations and reassessing shifts (crew but also ground personnel). Needless to say, while hiccups (exempli gratia: last minute cancellations, significant delays, crews not turning up and suddenly calling off sick, re-shuffling in terms of merging services i.e. 3 flights to CDG instead of 5 on a given day, 3 weekly services to WAW instead of a daily service - I've seen it all back in 2008...) will occur, if the controlled administration is to be instigated, I don't think we will see a swift grounding. In the meantime, though, we have received an e-mail from our head of department saying that we should be liaising with our corporate agent's assistant for any AZ booking we intend to make, essentially preventing us to book through portal directly, as per internal SOP - this is applicable (as far as I understood after speaking to one of the lasses at the agency in Birmingham) also to DL/AF/KL tickets containing AZ flights.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Apr 25, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Unless some miracle occurs, it looks like AZ will be another airline of the past in the near future - I don't believe that a miracle will occur this time, as all stake holders who could provide one made it very clear that this will not happen. What a mis-judgment from the employees.
The final chapter of Easter Air Lines played out the same way in 1991 with a gross miscalculation by the unions (although the issues at EA were exacerbated by the prior actions of Frank Lorenzo/Texas International/Continental). In the end, employees, shareholders and creditors all lose in what is essentially a mutual suicide pact.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
As far as I can gauge from what I've been reading but also from past experiences (incidentally, AZ back in 2008), the special commissioner will be working on various fronts but, most of all: lessors (to make sure that planes don't get grounded basically, even though I strongly doubt they will be willing to negotiate any favourable terms), tickets and day-to-day operations such as maximising aircraft rotations and reassessing shifts (crew but also ground personnel). Needless to say, while hiccups (exempli gratia: last minute cancellations, significant delays, crews not turning up and suddenly calling off sick, re-shuffling in terms of merging services i.e. 3 flights to CDG instead of 5 on a given day, 3 weekly services to WAW instead of a daily service - I've seen it all back in 2008...) will occur, if the controlled administration is to be instigated, I don't think we will see a swift grounding. In the meantime, though, we have received an e-mail from our head of department saying that we should be liaising with our corporate agent's assistant for any AZ booking we intend to make, essentially preventing us to book through portal directly, as per internal SOP - this is applicable (as far as I understood after speaking to one of the lasses at the agency in Birmingham) also to DL/AF/KL tickets containing AZ flights.

G
Thanks for the insight! I have 2 award tickets JFK-FCO booked for the last 2 weeks of May. Needless to say I have all my fingers and toes crossed they can at least make it to then!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:32 am

G
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping the BOS route won't be affected, but they do only operate one flight a day in and out.....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:33 am

Thanks for the insight! I have 2 award tickets JFK-FCO booked for the last 2 weeks of May. Needless to say I have all my fingers and toes crossed they can at least make it to then!
You're both very welcome and fingers crossed for you, jbeans - and indeed jmj10 (should you decide to go ahead) ^ Again, though, if the controlled administration is to be initiated (rumours suggest this could be the case as early as this coming Thursday), it could take some time to get to grounding stage (which didn't happen in 2008 however the course of events back then was slightly different), but it all depends on several factors and I do insist on the lessors bit simply because they could be crucial within that process. I guess we shall wait and see!

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: ITA Executive
I have three award tickets for LIN-FCO-ORD booked for my summer holidays in July.

Looks like I'll have to start planning a new summer holiday....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:45 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Apparently the government is allowed to invest - at least the EU will not block it: http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/econo...-201702a.shtml

Additionally the flight schedules should remain normal until at least the 27th.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Apparently the government is allowed to invest - at least the EU will not block it: http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/econo...-201702a.shtml
Indeed - allegedly, they would be allowed to do so because of the 10-years' period which has lapsed since the last intervention made using public funds... Total madness and, as much as I'd like AZ to remain in business, I genuinely hope that will not be the case as it will only prolong the agony and, ironically, will translate in an upsurge of confidence in those who voted no and who are only waiting for the next futile argument with management/government in order to go on strike again! Only in Italy...

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:58 am

I still have 21500 miles with them. Will they just disappear if Alitalia goes bust?
Probably better to book a non-AZ flight with them in the coming days, I guess.
What would you guys do?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by TomPete
I still have 21500 miles with them. Will they just disappear if Alitalia goes bust?
Alitalia Loyalty (owner of the MilleMiglia program, through which Etihad has a 75% stake) is a separate entity so I'm guessing you should be okay.

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
If they go belly up, would they still be obligated to rebook existing reservations with a partner? Or refund money/points? Or nothing at all?
Depends on how badly this ends. Liquidation consist of selling of everything you have and paying debtors. If nothing is left, I doubt that you'll see the money again. I don't know how the Italian law works, but that's the essential mechanism.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:51 am

Alitalia Loyalty (owner of the MilleMiglia program, through which Etihad has a 75% stake) is a separate entity so I'm guessing you should be okay.

G
So you think they would be transferred to Etihads program? How would MilleMiglia keep existing if AZ disappears? Wouldn't miles just be liability for them?
Sorry, it's not a lot of miles but I just want to be sure I won't just lose them.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:10 am

The big problems will start if fuel companies refuse to extend credit to Alitalia. It can very quickly lead to grounded aircraft all over the globe...

"The airline has sufficient funds to keep flying for a matter of weeks, two to three weeks"

Last edited by BApilotinsider; Apr 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-al...KBN17R2BI?il=0

No to re-nationalisation.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by AirCub1
No to re-nationalisation.
No surprise.

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
The big problems will start if fuel companies refuse to extend credit to Alitalia. It can very quickly lead to grounded aircraft all over the globe...
It's a question of "can Alitalia get their flight crew enough cash to pay for fuel on the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.