Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's rather sobering to read that Alitalia's share of the domestic market has slipped to 40%; on international routes, it is a paltry 10%.
A pretty grim picture indeed which, sadly, reaffirms the virtually non-existent impact on traffic (from/to Italy) should AZ go bust any time soon. In the last 10 years or so, they went from a major carrier with a decent-sized fleet and a respectable network (mostly out of MXP) to not-much-more-than a regional airline with several (in part useless) point-to-point domestic services, partially feeding a risible long-haul network. It feels like yesterday when they had the 2-daily flights from MAN (and BHX, too) to MXP (with plenty of connecting traffic to India, Middle East & South/North America) whereas as of now they would barely serve London with a few daily flights.

G
Old May 10, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd also worry that customer service could become horrible toward the end. Workers will know that they're about to lose jobs. I predict long lines, delays and cancellations, dirty aircraft, bad/rude on board service, etc.
It's AZ - how would pax tell the difference?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd also worry that customer service could become horrible toward the end.
They've always been like that so no major changes there, it will be business as usual for AZ customer services (which is outsourced anyway so they wouldn't give a toss) As for other things and by experience back in 2008, there could be, yes, sudden cancellations/merging of services (mostly affecting domestic operations, though) whereas, at least for the time being and, again, by personal (current) experience and other reports, I haven't noticed any tumble in terms of aircraft cleanliness, on-board experience and so on. I know, that could change, but as we speak it's all pretty much business as usual. And we can still enjoy an à la carte meal at the EY lounge in London

G
Old May 10, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Should be legible now...

They could have adapted this ad for their "Firenze Frenzy" sale last December
Old May 10, 2017, 10:07 am

Funny to look at the advert (the beyond your means above all!) now but a nice flash-back none the less, back to the glory days of the 747's Baci Perugina

G
Old May 10, 2017, 1:41 pm

The Financial Times reports in an article that went up on their web edition 4 hours ago that Alitalia may have until November to find a buyer.

https://www.ft.com/content/60b2fe76-...4-9023f8c0fd2e

"Should Alitalia fail to draw a buyer by November, it would face the possibility of liquidation."
Old May 10, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by rje444
The Financial Times reports in an article that went up on their web edition 4 hours ago that Alitalia may have until November to find a buyer.

https://www.ft.com/content/60b2fe76-...4-9023f8c0fd2e

"Should Alitalia fail to draw a buyer by November, it would face the possibility of liquidation."
In such volatile circumstances and with an almost certain element of risk represented by shrinking ticket revenues, it is virtually impossible to come up with predictions, even though the 600M€ bridge loan (if approved) should indeed guarantee survival for the next few months. Then again, the saga could easily turn into hot topic yet again just before the next general elections so God knows.

G
Old May 11, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
I see they are still selling tickets for MLE, which starts in October all being well.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that Etihad is on the hook for even more debt than initially thought...

Reuters: Etihad pledged to cover Alitalia's part of EA Partners bonds - sources
Old May 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club
I have a round trip flight in September JFK-FCO on Alitalia and VCE-JFK on Delta. I called Alitalia to try and get the outbound changed to Delta metal and was told by the CSR to not believe anything that I'm reading online and that Alitalia is "not going bankrupt and there will be no changes to flight schedules."
(1) I find it hard to believe that anyone can say that with such certainty. (2) That's potentially dangerous messaging from Alitalia customer service.

In any case, in the event of flight disruptions, what are the chances Alitalia would try and reaccommodate on Skyteam partners instead of just leaving pax without a flight?
Old May 11, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by SeahawksNYC
I have a round trip flight in September JFK-FCO on Alitalia and VCE-JFK on Delta. I called Alitalia to try and get the outbound changed to Delta metal and was told by the CSR to not believe anything that I'm reading online and that Alitalia is "not going bankrupt and there will be no changes to flight schedules."
(1) I find it hard to believe that anyone can say that with such certainty. (2) That's potentially dangerous messaging from Alitalia customer service.

In any case, in the event of flight disruptions, what are the chances Alitalia would try and reaccommodate on Skyteam partners instead of just leaving pax without a flight?
I'm also flying JFK-FCO, then on to PMO, in late July, on AZ. I purchased my ticket from DL with a credit card. Reading the "gurus" postings here seems to indicate that, should AZ go belly up soon, I should be ok since DL would likely rebook me on one of their JV partners across the "pond." But then getting to PMO from FCO could be a little dicier since AZ is the only JV carrier flying there.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I see that AZ is returning to LAX and DEL year-round and will be launching MLE. It looks like they want to go out in a blaze of glory.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Financial Times
Alitalia has named Rothschild as financial advisor to manage its sale after falling into administration earlier this month, the company said on Monday
Old May 26, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No.

The flights would only be paid after the fact.

You pay AZ up-front; but you might change/cancel/alter your plans, so AZ won't pay the partner until after the flight actually gets flown.

If AZ disappears in the meantime, all outstanding ticket stock becomes worthless.
You mean if you have an award flight on another Skyteam carrier already ticketed, it would still be void if AZ goes bust before the flight? I find that hard to imagine...
Old May 26, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomPete
You mean if you have an award flight on another Skyteam carrier already ticketed, it would still be void if AZ goes bust before the flight? I find that hard to imagine...
if the ticket is issued by AZ, it would be entirely worthless: the carrier only gets paid by the ticket issuer (i.e. Alitalia) after the flight has taken place. Since they would be unable to recover their money from Alitalia, they would therefore carry you and get absolutely nothing back. Most carriers, in such a situation, will not accept any ticket issued on Alitalia stock, whether it is an award or revenue ticket.
Now, it is not impossible that some carriers may out of goodwill accept award tickets. But it would be strictly out of goodwill since they will essentially carry the passenger for free and will receive zero revenue for it. This is not something on which you could count however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.