Strike on 5 April 2017

Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Strike on 5 April 2017

Originally Posted by Alitalia

STRIKE ON 5 APRIL: INFORMATION FOR PASSENGERS

Trade Unions Filt-Cgil, Fit-Cisl, Uiltrasporti, Ugl-Ta, USB and CUB have confirmed a 24-hour industrial action on 5 April 2017.

To minimize disruptions, Alitalia was forced to cancel several flights and modify its domestic and international flight schedule between the late evening of 4 April and the early morning of 6 April.

On 5 April, flights departing during the guaranteed period between 7am and 10 am and from 6pm to 9pm Rome time will operate as scheduled.

Please click here for a complete list of cancelled flights.

On the same day, trade unions ANPAC and ANPAV have also confirmed a four-hour strike (from 12pm to 6pm).

The airline has immediately taken special measures to minimise inconvenience to its customers, by rebooking as many of the passengers affected by cancellations as possible on the first available flights.

Alitalia customers already holding confirmed tickets for travels from the late evening of 4 April to the early morning of 6 April, should contact Alitalia at the toll-free number 800.65.00.55 (within Italy) or +39.06.65649 (from overseas), or contact the travel agent where they purchased the ticket, in order to check the status of their flights, before going to the airport.

To better reprotect travellers, bigger aircraft will operate on several domestic and international routes to carry as many passengers as possible on 5 April.

Call centre staff has been beefed up and additional staff will be on hand at the airports of Rome Fiumicino and Milan Linate to assist customers.

Please find below the detailed information regarding your re-booking and refund options:

Below the policy repro for the guests:

REBOOKING

REROUTING

CHANGE OF ORIGIN AND/OR DESTINATION

SCHEDULE CHANGE

Re-timing +/- 5 hours

P.O.S USA

REFUND

MILLEMIGLIA
                Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:34 am
                Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
                So you may rebook, but only on AZ flights and you may not shorten/lengthen your stay. In case of Award tickets you can only rebook if there is award space available (which there will not be). That is going to be a pain..

I wish best of luck to all holding booking(s) on these days..
                Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: VA QF TG EK A3
                Many thanks irishguy28 for the heads up and the terms and conditions.

We were booked to fly LHR- NAP on the 5th.

We got a very basic email telling us that our LIN-NAP leg was cancelled, due to strike, but, lucky us, the LHR-LIN leg was still good.

Then we got a difficult to understand email that, our flights to NAP were now rescheduled to the 7th, two days after the 5th. Again,lucky us.

So forearmed with irishguy28's posting, I went to Expertflyer, just about everything including the BA direct flights were booked out for the 5th, but checking with Easyjet there was availability with several of their direct flights from the various London airports, with a no cost 24hr cancellation fee. Booked seats with them.

Then I tried to phone the AZ contact number given in the strike notice email. You get a recorded message in Italian which basically (I think) tells you to phone back because they have gone home for the day.

The next morning I rang the UK AZ service number. Got the Albanian (?) call center, nice man looked up my booking and confirmed that yes we were affected by the strike, and proudly told me that we had been rebooked for the 7th.

"well," I said, "that will be interesting, as we are supposed to be flying with you on the 7th, at exactly the same time as you have rescheduled us, from Naples to Venice. Just how exactly are we going to work this?"

I just straight out asked for a full refund.This then caused some confusion and a wait on hold while he spoke to his supervisor. In the end I was told the flights would be refunded, but he could not do it, it would have to be done by head office in Rome.

I asked for an email confirming this but was advised that that was not possible, and Rome would send me one, "after they have processed the refund". I asked for a file reference- not possible. I was then advised that my file reference was my booking reference.Fine, thank you for your help.

Last night I got an email from AZ trying to sell me an upgrade on the LHR-LIN section of my 'cancelled' flight on the 5th.

So I then eventually found the 'manage my booking' section on the AZ web site- not actually that easy.
                My booking, now, cannot be found.
                I suppose that is a good thing.
                We were flying AZ as we have status with a related airline, for the SCs, miles and extra baggage.

Sigh.
                Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:58 am

Well yesterday I got a phone call from the AZ Albanian call centre, asking me to confirm I wanted to have my refund sent to a different credit card other than the one I had used to purchase the flights with.

?????????

No, I replied, that is not correct, please refund to my original credit card.

"oh, OK. Do you want to cancell both tickets?" (My wife is on the same booking)

Yes, both tickets please.

"OK. We will call you back when we need more information...."

I am never going to see a refund, am I.
                Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:22 pm

@vmile - sorry to hear that the forthcoming strike has heavily disrupted your travel plans and I (plus surely anyone who's ever dealt with the AZ call centre) feel your pain with how poorly they approached your circumstances. In the past, they used to be more flexible in terms of re-accommodating passengers on to partner airlines and not only, I remember a few occasions when AZ still had the late afternoon flight to MXP from WAW (and I used to be on it quite often) and, either because of strike or other cancellations/delays (meaning I wouldn't be able to catch my next flight once in Italy), I got rerouted via MUC on LH. That aside, I'm not sure it will make you feel any better however the refund shouldn't take too long to appear, I had one processed last Thursday with the funds hitting my PayPal account the very next day, to my surprise, I must admit.

I hope you get sorted and have a great holiday regardless.

G
                Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
                We're flying BA metal to Rome on April 5th, and are just now hearing about this strike action. (for reference, our flight is LHR-FCO)

Obviously, we're not on Alitalia, but what are the risks that other carriers are affected as well? In that their passengers may get caught up in the delay/cancel wave along with the AZ pax?
                Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:55 am
                FlyerTalk Evangelist
                Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
                BA and Alitalia have absolutely no connection. You will not be affected in any way, other than the fact that your flight will be full to capacity.
                Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:51 pm

Much to my surprise our refunds were paid promptly.
                No email confirming same, however, the money just turned up in our CC account.
                The Status Credits and Miles (pathetic earn) also posted promptly.
                The food/wine and amenities pack on our international flight were excellent.
                They got us there on time and our bags turned up.
                But everything else from the check-in process, to lounge access, the lounges, the IT(!!!), and the attitude of some of the staff were a real concern.
                I kept thinking to myself, during our AZ experience, that their survival plan was to become a LCC ???, that they were already beyond that, and also, never again.
                Again, thanks irishguy28 and AlicorporateUK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.