Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Alitalia - 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Future of Alitalia - 2017 edition

Considering booking AZ for June 2017 (short-haul) but a bit hesitant from all the fear-mongering in the press about AZ's finances.

It's hard for me to tell... just how bad is AZ's financial condition currently? Is there truly a chance they may not be operating by then?

Thanks FT!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
just how bad is AZ's financial condition currently? Is there truly a chance they may not be operating by then?
Very bad, even though I doubt they'll go belly-up but, still, they have recently been cutting a significant number of routes and it appears that they will be dismissing even more in the months to come (there are rumours of some important management changes in the pipeline). Would you mind sharing where you're planning to go as we may be able to advise further (more-or-less)?

G
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

LHR-FCO round-trip

BA is obviously the alternate, but currently double the cost of AZ...

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:30 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
LHR-FCO round-trip

BA is obviously the alternate, but currently double the cost of AZ...

Thanks!
Buy the AZ ticket ... and trip insurance?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

LHR-FCO
A heavily reduced route over the years (AZ used to have ~15 services from LHR to FCO/LIN/MXP, currently only 3 daily to FCO and 2 to LIN) but still one of the most important in the whole network hence I'd easily go for it.

G
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

How about FCO-TLV?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
How about FCO-TLV?
Fine - exactly like LHR, LCY (from LIN), CAI, IKA etc., probably the most profitable in AZ's medium-haul network (it used to have a few frequencies with 330 a couple of years back, exactly like IKA as we speak).

G
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi. I have an domestic flight - NAP-LIN scheduled for June. Just booked it last week.
Should I be considering a train as well?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Hi. I have an domestic flight - NAP-LIN scheduled for June. Just booked it last week.
Should I be considering a train as well?
Again, I wouldn't worry (this is a shuttle route with nearly 10 daily services - no risk of closure).

G
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Again, I wouldn't worry (this is a shuttle route with nearly 10 daily services - no risk of closure).

G
Thanks. Until I saw this thread, I wasn't at all concerned. In fact, I was celebrating the great deal I'd found.. 15€ less than the train and hours less time.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
A heavily reduced route over the years (AZ used to have ~15 services from LHR to FCO/LIN/MXP, currently only 3 daily to FCO and 2 to LIN) but still one of the most important in the whole network hence I'd easily go for it.

G
Just booked AZ. Thanks!

Hard to grasp how any airline could operate LHR-FCO for USD 77 per leg, of which USD 63 is supposedly taxes, leaving USD 14 for the "fare paid".

Hence the topic of this thread...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:02 pm

Just booked AZ. Thanks!

Hard to grasp how any airline could operate LHR-FCO for USD 77 per leg, of which USD 63 is supposedly taxes, leaving USD 14 for the "fare paid".

Hmm not quite, 16$ of that "tax" is YR surcharge which goes to the airline...
And of course there are only that many tickets sold for such a price on each flight.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Just booked AZ. Thanks!

Because Ryanair flies from Stanton to Ciampino for 20GBP and Norwegian flies Gatwick to Fiumicino for 30GBP.

Do you think these airlines are about to go bankrupt?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
Because Ryanair flies from Stanton to Ciampino for 20GBP and Norwegian flies Gatwick to Fiumicino for 30GBP.

Do you think these airlines are about to go bankrupt?
Indeed - and I wish AZ could do even a tiny, minuscule percentage of profits normally reported by one of the above mentioned carriers (i.e. FR)

G
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
What about SCL-FCO in early May?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.