Future of Alitalia - 2017 edition

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by newflyer530
What about SCL-FCO in early May?
Safe - AZ will soon be adding 2 wide-body aircraft to its fleet (with a 777 due to be delivered, which should bring the overall long-haul fleet to 25 aircraft) and I'd not be surprised if, after MEX (operating daily from JUL3), SCL will also see an increase in weekly frequencies.

G
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta,American, British Air
Similar question flying 6/29 JFK to FCO on az 611 in business ( award ticket thru dl)which I would assume is safe but probably service will be cut back? but connecting to AZ1799 to PMO.which now I am worried about. I could fly aa to milan ( on miles maybe first)then pay for flight on easy jet . thoughts
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lesz1
Similar question flying 6/29 JFK to FCO on az 611 in business ( award ticket thru dl)which I would assume is safe but probably service will be cut back? but connecting to AZ1799 to PMO.which now I am worried about. I could fly aa to milan ( on miles maybe first)then pay for flight on easy jet . thoughts
If any other service will suffer a cut back (after the recent announcements and even insistent rumours), I would expect the cancellation of the few flights left from MXP and a couple of other short/medium haul routes, possibly less cross-country services such as LIN-BRI. PMO and other domestic services could indeed go through restructure (especially if a number of 320/321 will be dismissed as it seems) and subsequent reduction but they will not be axed entirely.

G
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:18 am

Wow, getting nervous! We have award tickets for September 2017, JFK-FCO and FCO-VCE, and then a return flight about 5 weeks later FCO-JFK.

Booked with MR points transferred from AmEx, so if Alitalia does go out of business, I guess we'd lose them all, which would be painful, as we are retired and it takes us a long time to accumulate miles/points.

And worse, the prospect of losing a trip my wife has been dreaming about for years.

Of course this focus on our trip is not to minimize how terrible this would be for all the Alitalia employees and their families.

But specifically to our trip, how worried do you all think should we be?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:34 am

I have JFK - FCO roundtrip award tix booked for late May. Fingers crossed that this route will not be one of the first to go?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by rje444
Wow, getting nervous! We have award tickets for September 2017, JFK-FCO and FCO-VCE, and then a return flight about 5 weeks later FCO-JFK.

Booked with MR points transferred from AmEx, so if Alitalia does go out of business, I guess we'd lose them all, which would be painful, as we are retired and it takes us a long time to accumulate miles/points.

And worse, the prospect of losing a trip my wife has been dreaming about for years.

Of course this focus on our trip is not to minimize how terrible this would be for all the Alitalia employees and their families.

But specifically to our trip, how worried do you all think should we be?
Originally Posted by jbeans
I have JFK - FCO roundtrip award tix booked for late May. Fingers crossed that this route will not be one of the first to go?
Understandable concerns from you both, mainly considering the current state-of-play. More details concerning the future of the airline will probably be unveiled in the days to come as the CEO is currently presenting (internally) a plan which is (at least theoretically speaking) supposed to put a halt to the current financial haemorrhage. There are rumours (nothing new, really, but they become increasingly insistent as the board discusses the above) that a number of 320 aircraft will be grounded and over 2000 employees (ground, cabin and pilots) dismissed (that'll not go down very well with the Italian unions, but...), possibly meaning a further cutback in domestic services and I suspect also some other medium-haul flights, following the trend of the last few months (see also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alita...justments.html). On a brighter note, it seems that extra capacity will be added to long-haul routes (an additional 777 has literally just been delivered, MEX will become daily as of July etc.) and, as I've already stated above and elsewhere in other threads, if any further service reduction will take place, I strongly doubt it will affect the likes of JFK, mainly from their main hub, FCO.

G
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The rumors swirling are pretty bleak. I got a few flights coming up in March and April. Will i get my money back if they cancel those flights? I'm flying TLV-FCO-MAD and JFK-FCO-TLV.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nat25
The rumors swirling are pretty bleak. I got a few flights coming up in March and April. Will i get my money back if they cancel those flights? I'm flying TLV-FCO-MAD and JFK-FCO-TLV.
Unless they go bust in the next couple of weeks (I doubt it), in the [unlikely] event that TLV/MAD/JFK all go through trimming, you would be offered a seat on a different service, mainly considering that AZ has a few daily flights to the aforementioned airports and that, as previously mentioned, routes like LHR, LCY, TLV, IKA, JFK etc. etc. are definitely less subject to major changes in terms of schedule.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Feb 28, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Unless they go bust in the next couple of weeks (I doubt it), in the [unlikely] event that TLV/MAD/JFK all go through trimming, you would be offered a seat on a different service, mainly considering that AZ has a few daily flights to the aforementioned airports and that, as previously mentioned, routes like LHR, LCY, TLV, IKA, JFK etc. etc. are definitely less subject to major changes in terms of schedule.

G
Thanks. That's comforting!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:23 pm

Any thoughts on the safety of LAX-FCO in May?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by UCitiFlyer
Any thoughts on the safety of LAX-FCO in May?
As per above, unless they go bust, you're okay. We'll probably hear more anyway towards the end of the forthcoming week.

G
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:58 am

Any news on this? Me and my husband have a flight from BOS-FCO in May. And to be clear, Alitalia goes belly-up we lose our money, correct? Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:03 am

Hello every body,

I've been reading a bit regarding the financial troubles Alitalia is going through again, and I'm wondering is it really as bad as the media outlets are making it out to be?

I know we've heard this many times in the past, but I have a feeling a solution will be made as usual.

What if this time it really does go under what would be the implications on Etihad, and the other European equity partners like Air Berlin, Air Serbia, and Darwin. Would Etihad still hold on to them, or can you see them just ditching all of the European investments?

We are living in interesting times.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by jmj10
Any news on this? Me and my husband have a flight from BOS-FCO in May. And to be clear, Alitalia goes belly-up we lose our money, correct? Thanks!
Assuming you paid on credit card, you will get a full refund from the card issuer. It's unlikely to completely collapse so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
We'll probably hear more anyway towards the end of the forthcoming week.

G
Any update?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.