Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Alitalia to Pull Out of Milan–Malpensa (MXP)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

From the Point Me To The Plane" blog:

According to a former consulting buddy who now works in a top level position within the European aviation industry, Alitalia will officially be pulling out of Milan-Malpensa (MXP) airport. Apparently, the carrier will continue to operate domestic flights from nearby Milan Linate (LIN). Meanwhile, all international flights will operate non-stop via Rome or via an Abu Dhabi / Etihad connection.

The change seems almost counterintuitive as for years the rumors have been the complete opposite – the carrier would pull out of tourist heavy Rome (besides a few seasonal summer flights) and would instead focus on the higher revenue business traffic to Milan. This change would mark the end of Alitalia’s Milan service to both New York and Tokyo.

The airport itself would continue to have multiple flights to the US, a very large European presence, and non-stop international flights to Hong Kong (Cathay), São Paulo (LATAM), Delhi (Air India), Shanghai (Air China), and Zanzibar (Neos) among others.

I haven’t been able to validate the rumor with a second source and a simple search currently only brings up an Airliners.net thread started by VCEflyboy.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:45 pm

Rumours were spread days ago by a couple of sources on the most followed Italian aviation forum (aviazionecivile.org). Sadly, possibly anyone could see this coming, mainly considering the current financial state of the airline and the overall feeling that those couple of services [currently operating out of MXP] didn't really make a great deal of sense given, again, the current state-of-play in terms of financial resources and the next-to-nil impact from a virtually non-existing feeder network, with FCO being the core of AZ's operations.

Whilst we're at it, I feel it is worth recalling AZ's robust network out of MXP up to a few years ago (with my apologies if I've missed anything), when the main hub was based in Milan itself:

BIO MRS CDG AMS BRU TXL DUS STR MUC ZRH GVA VIE PRG BUD BEG MSQ LED KBP SVO IST OTP SOF GOA FLR BLQ AOI PEG BZO MAD BCN VLC AGP LIS LYS NCE LHR CPH ARN FRA ZAG SPU WAW SJJ TSR SKP KRK PVG MLA ATH SKG DKR ACC via LOS ITM DEL BOM DAM BEY IKA DXB MIA ORD EWR BOS YYZ CCS EZE JFK GRU

G
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
How does this relate to the fact that AFKL is re-starting services to MXP? Does that make a lot of sense if not to feed long-haul routes from there?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
How does this relate to the fact that AFKL is re-starting services to MXP? Does that make a lot of sense if not to feed long-haul routes from there?
The much discussed end of their partnership with AZ could force them to abandon LIN due to slot issues (both AF and KL are currently making the most of a number of LIN slots belonging to AZ).

G
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Eventually AZ will be out of Skyteam as well...
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
AFKL were never really feeding Alitalia longhaul - it was the other way round!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:32 am

Any ideas when this might happen? I just booked JFK-MXP on Alitalia for April 1.

If they get rid of that route, do you think I'd be put on JFK-FCO-LIN? Further, I booked this on Delta's website, taking advantage of a $200 voucher that I had.

TIA
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by farbster
Any ideas when this might happen? I just booked JFK-MXP on Alitalia for April 1.

If they get rid of that route, do you think I'd be put on JFK-FCO-LIN? Further, I booked this on Delta's website, taking advantage of a $200 voucher that I had.

TIA
There's your issue^^
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:51 am

Jokes on me huh?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:06 am

TIA
The only remaining domestic service (MXP-FCO) is due to be axed on February 1st (announcement made a couple of weeks ago) hence I would not be surprised if the JFK service will also suffer the same fate from the end of the winter schedule. In case, you could be offered a seat on the DL service, even though, from previous experiences with AZ, it is more likely that they will try imposing a solution involving, as you've just hinted above, AZ-only flights and, consequently, a connection in FCO on your way to LIN.

G
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:13 am

Just wonderful (heavy sarcasm). I have tickets to the matinee of Hamilton in NYC that day and thought I'd timed it perfectly. I would not be able to make the Delta flight as I couldn't get to JFK in time. Hopefully, they'd refund the ticket. I'm guessing the joke will be on me and I'm screwed. I'd be able to make the Emirates flight, as it leave much later.

Last edited by farbster; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:13 am Reason: add sarcasm note
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
They'll probably move you to a DL flight (primary) via AMS/CDG/MAD and/or an AF, KL, EX or AZ flight alternative which there are many later departures.
Though I'd much rather be on the EK nonstop.

Enjoy the show, it's quite good.

Just wonderful (heavy sarcasm). I have tickets to the matinee of Hamilton in NYC that day and thought I'd timed it perfectly. I would not be able to make the Delta flight as I couldn't get to JFK in time. Hopefully, they'd refund the ticket. I'm guessing the joke will be on me and I'm screwed. I'd be able to make the Emirates flight, as it leave much later.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
I've got a flight from PRG to NRT via LIN/MXP at the end of June. If they pull out of MXP, I guess they'll re-route me from LIN to FCO and then to NRT? Has anyone heard any more news about a date for this?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by weetanuki
I've got a flight from PRG to NRT via LIN/MXP at the end of June. If they pull out of MXP, I guess they'll re-route me from LIN to FCO and then to NRT? Has anyone heard any more news about a date for this?
No further news but, in the worst case scenario, you would probably get re-routed via FCO on 784/785.

G
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
No further news but, in the worst case scenario, you would probably get re-routed via FCO on 784/785.

G
I actually hope this happens. It'd mean leaving PRG 5 hours later plus more MQMs credited to DL. The schedule goes through March, so probably somewhere in February they will release the schedule for April onwards, right? Maybe somewhere around then they'll say something if they decide to pull out of MXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.