Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

TLV-FCO cancelled 2 days before the flight, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Hi,

My friend just got an email from Alitalia that the 8:00 flight from TLV-FCO is cancelled, and he is rebooked on the 14:55 flight.
What can he do about that when he calls? What are his rights?

Thank you!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:41 am

What is your friend looking to do? This does fall within EC 261/2004 so he can get compensated for the delay, he can also ask the airline to be put on an earlier flight to get to his destination, there is a 05:15 AM and 10:35 AM AZ flights, an LY flight and various connecting options.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Alitalia Israel is impossible to get hold of. He wants to ask them for a rebook, but I think it won't work. They have 180 people to accommodate in other flights 2 days before the flight.
I hope they will help him, but I am not too optimistic.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:02 am

Yes, they do have a lot of passengers to accommodate... but will all those passengers call? Are all those passengers flying to FCO? (as connecting PAX could be accommodated to not go via FCO at all)
Assuming we are talking about the coming Thursday, there is some availability still, for example:

AZ 809 TLV/3 05:15 FCO/3 08:00 32S/0
CR ER DR IR YR BR MR HR KR VR TC NC SC QC XC WC LC OC FC RC G7

LY 385 TLV/3 06:00 FCO/3 08:45 738/0
C9 I5 D2 ZL JL RL XL Y1 SL ML QL BL KL VL LL HL NL GL OL UL WS EL

As well as some seats on connecting flights with either A3 or TK.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much! He is now holding on the line for an hour and 40 minutes, so they are busy.
I will let him know about the open seats in LY flight.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

The agent said that they can't move him to LY. She also said that the pilots having strikes, which doesn't make a lot of sense because 3 other flights are operating as usual.

Israel has a law which is similar to EU 261/2004, so I don;t know if he can claim the EU rule at all.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by veryexcite
The agent said that they can't move him to LY. She also said that the pilots having strikes, which doesn't make a lot of sense because 3 other flights are operating as usual.
Why not? unless all pilots are on strike, they can still operate flights.

Israel has a law which is similar to EU 261/2004, so I don;t know if he can claim the EU rule at all.
He should still be able to claim EU261/2004, I think with AZ being an EU airline, it will probably be easier than claiming anything by Israeli law, not sure which one gives better compensation though
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:03 am
Original Poster

By the Israeli law, he won't get anything... It's minimum of a 8 hours delay.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
EU261/2004 applies to any passenger travelling to an EU member state on an airline based in an EU member state.
FCO is in a EU member state.
AZ is an airline based in an EU member state.
Unless the ticket is a reward one or a discounted fare unavailable to public.

Ciao
Ulxima
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
She also said that the pilots having strikes, which doesn't make a lot of sense because 3 other flights are operating as usual.
A pilot/cabin crew strike doesn't mean that *all* pilots/cabin crew are on strike. Not all unions are taking part in this action.

Alitalia are having to cancel a selection of flights and your suggestion that ALL flights to/from a particular destination be cancelled - in this example TLV - seems unfair. Why inconvenience ALL pax at a particular location, rather than spread it around and not entirely remove a destination from the network for that day?

Alitalia: Strike 22 September
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ulxima
EU261/2004 applies to any passenger travelling to an EU member state on an airline based in an EU member state.
The compensation set out in EU261/2004 does not apply when delays/cancellations are caused by labour disputes and strikes. The duty of care has been taken care of by rebooking on the closest available flight, together with the ability to negotiate a different routing/timing or to cancel.

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 21, 2016 at 8:58 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The compensation set out in EU261/2004 does not apply when delays/cancellations are caused by labour disputes and strikes. The duty of care has been taken care of by rebooking on the closest available flight, together with the ability to negotiate a different routing/timing or to cancel.
Indeed, I had to add the strike circumstance.
Thank you irishguy28 for having put it right

Ciao
U.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.