Community
Wiki Posts
Search

True business class on A320?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

True business class on A320?

Just booked my first business class award redemption with miles and I think I got duped and got intra-European style business class for the whole trip, AMM-FCO-JFK. I booked this through Delta for 70,000 skymiles for next week when my flight from UIA was cancelled and desperately wanted to get home without paying $900 for a one way.

I will be flying on two A320s and there seems to be conflicting information between seatguru and Delta's website. On seatguru it says that there is simply economy seating with an empty seat in the middle. But when trying to select a seat on Delta's website, for one leg of the trip it looks like there is business class in a 2-2 configuration and then for the long intra-antlantic leg there are no business/first seats to choose from, it just doesn't have seats availible for rows lower than 12. Attached screenshots of both screens where I tried to pick a seat.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 11.32.42 PM.png
Views: 715
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 11.33.12 PM.png
Views: 767
Size:  83.2 KB

For what it's worth, when I go to select seat it shows me seats availible but doesn't actually let me saying it's not possible to choose a seat and this is something the csr on the phone confirmed on the phone that I have to wait for online check in 2 days before hand for all Alitalia flights. By the way my booking class is Z.

Been a long time lurker and this is my first post - would really appreciate knowing what the deal is as I just booked it a few hours ago and can maybe cancel if I find out there isn't a lie flat seat from FCO-JFK...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by Zach Resnick
Just booked my first business class award redemption with miles and I think I got duped and got intra-European style business class for the whole trip, AMM-FCO-JFK. I booked this through Delta for 70,000 skymiles for next week when my flight from UIA was cancelled and desperately wanted to get home without paying $900 for a one way.

I will be flying on two A320s and there seems to be conflicting information between seatguru and Delta's website. On seatguru it says that there is simply economy seating with an empty seat in the middle. But when trying to select a seat on Delta's website, for one leg of the trip it looks like there is business class in a 2-2 configuration and then for the long intra-antlantic leg there are no business/first seats to choose from, it just doesn't have seats availible for rows lower than 12. Attached screenshots of both screens where I tried to pick a seat.

Attachment 17305

Attachment 17306

For what it's worth, when I go to select seat it shows me seats availible but doesn't actually let me saying it's not possible to choose a seat and this is something the csr on the phone confirmed on the phone that I have to wait for online check in 2 days before hand for all Alitalia flights. By the way my booking class is Z.

Been a long time lurker and this is my first post - would really appreciate knowing what the deal is as I just booked it a few hours ago and can maybe cancel if I find out there isn't a lie flat seat from FCO-JFK...
FCO to JFK should be an A330, could an A320 even cover that distance?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Ah my mistake this was careless- looking at my screenshots now the second flight is an A330. In my confirmation email from Delta it said they were both A320s, that's where my misunderstanding came from.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:28 am

AMM-FCO is indeed a 320 with a "European J" aka Economy seats with the middle seat blocked.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL's system is confused by the map for the A320. Since it's economy seats it's 3-3 but the middle on each side is blocked. However DL's system read this as meaning it's 2-2 since there's no B or D seats listed on the seat map.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Why not have a look on the Alitalia Internet Site?
https://www.alitalia.com/en_it/fly-a...dium-haul.html

If you want to pre-assign seats, you need to get from DL Skypeso the AZ PNR, then if you're lucky you can choose seats on the AZ site. If not, just call AZ to let them assign the seats fr you.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:28 pm

I remember the old AZ DC9s with the three extra wide business class seats up front...
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL's system is confused by the map for the A320. Since it's economy seats it's 3-3 but the middle on each side is blocked. However DL's system read this as meaning it's 2-2 since there's no B or D seats listed on the seat map.
Indeed. Horrible configuration but most European airlines have it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
The AZ configuration is fairly complicated from a seat numbering perspective, but basically it's a 1-2-1 staggered lie-flat product, not unlike the layout on the DL 767 fleet but nicer and more spacious.

Don't ever select seats for a partner on the DL site, as the systems are typically not very compatible.

Call DL and ask for the PNR/booking reference number for the OPERATING CARRIER (in this case AZ). Go to that carrier's website and enter the info... then you'll be able to see correct seat maps and choose your seat.

(You typically can't do this for their intra-Europe/narrowbody J products, just the over-the-water segments.)
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by KingBraden
FCO to JFK should be an A330, could an A320 even cover that distance?
Yes, if they stop in Shannon like the good old days

Ulxima
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
The AZ configuration is fairly complicated from a seat numbering perspective, but basically it's a 1-2-1 staggered lie-flat product, not unlike the layout on the DL 767 fleet but nicer and more spacious.
Eh? On a A320?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:12 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by Koby
Eh? On a A320?
SAS is flying to jfk with b737 non-stop
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by GBobon
SAS is flying to jfk with b737 non-stop
On what route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.