Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Earning AZ Miles on KLM Flights Operated by CityJet...

Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia

Okay, here's one for you which having spent around 20 minutes on the telephone to both Alitalia and KLM and today I still do not have a definite response to and have been asked to send an email:

I recently travelled from London City airport to Rome via Amsterdam on a booking made on KLM 's website. The ticket was marketed as KLM throughout and the booking fair was L. The points for the leg from Amsterdam to Rome have been credited to my MilleMiglia account, but nothing for the flights from London city to Amsterdam (operated on behalf of KLM by CityJet, though with a KL prefix).

Surely the important thing is that the flight from London to Amsterdam has a KLM prefix and is in a fare class (L) which attracts Alitalia miles credit and recognition that the flight goes towards the qualifying flights' total?

Strange thing is, neither KLM for Alitalia seem to know the answer. Do any of you guys?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by AirCub1
Okay, here's one for you which having spent around 20 minutes on the telephone to both Alitalia and KLM and today I still do not have a definite response to and have been asked to send an email:

I recently travelled from London City airport to Rome via Amsterdam on a booking made on KLM 's website. The ticket was marketed as KLM throughout and the booking fair was L. The points for the leg from Amsterdam to Rome have been credited to my MilleMiglia account, but nothing for the flights from London city to Amsterdam (operated on behalf of KLM by CityJet, though with a KL prefix).

Surely the important thing is that the flight from London to Amsterdam has a KLM prefix and is in a fare class (L) which attracts Alitalia miles credit and recognition that the flight goes towards the qualifying flights' total?

Strange thing is, neither KLM for Alitalia seem to know the answer. Do any of you guys?
You will find the answer on the AZ MM Site:

https://www.alitalia.com/en_it/mille...lines/klm.html

"You can only accumulate miles on flights operated by KLM and on flights operated by KLM in cooperation with all the SkyTeam Airline Partners."

AFAIK CityJet is no official SkyTeam Partner, nor is listed on the SkyTeam Partners of MM. So the answer will be that you won't get miles credit for this flight. And the KL flights were also shown in the system as KL codeshare flights OP by WX:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing LCY on 04/08/16 0:00 for AMS
Flying WX KL 

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
WX 171        0      LCY                AMS                AR8       M,T,W,Th,F      J9 W9 S7 A0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 K0 H0 L0 Q0 T0 E0 N0 R0 V0 X0 G0 P9 
                     04/08/16 7:40      04/08/16 9:55                90% / 18m

0 Connections
KL (WX) 2397  0      LCY                AMS                AR8       M,T,W,Th,F      J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 Y9 B7 M0 U0 K0 W0 H0 S0 L0 A0 Q0 T0 E0 N0 R0 V0 G0 
                     04/08/16 7:40      04/08/16 9:55                90% / 18m

0 Connections
WX 175        0      LCY                AMS                AR8       M,T,Th,F        J4 W4 S0 A0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 K0 H0 L0 Q0 T0 E0 N0 R0 V0 X0 G0 P6 
                     04/08/16 9:30      04/08/16 11:35               69% / 19m

0 Connections
KL (WX) 2435  0      LCY                AMS                AR8       M,T,W,Th,F,Sa   J4 C4 D4 I4 Z4 Y4 B0 M0 U0 K0 W0 H0 S0 L0 A0 Q0 T0 E0 N0 R0 V0 G0 
                     04/08/16 9:30      04/08/16 11:35               69% / 19m
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As stated above, Cityjet is not a Skyteam member. Therefore, the KL code is only half the story. The entire flight has to be Skyteam (coded and operated) in order to earn Millemiglia miles.

There is a daily (except Sundays) Alitalia flight from FCO to LCY and back; AZ212 departs Rome at 09:00, arriving at 10:25; AZ211 departs City at 10:55, arriving back in Rome at 14:25.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

What does the boarding pass say?

I was scheduled to fly CDG-FRA today (operated by Hop!) and the boarding pass said "Operated by Air France".. last minute change and we ended up on CityJet, no new boarding pass. I will see if the miles post automatically to Millemiglia.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In your case you should be fine. The flight was sold as a "true" AF flight.

In the OP's case, though, it was only ever planned as a KL codeshare operated by a non-Skyteam airline. Codeshares must be also operated by a Skyteam member in order to earn.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yup, miles posted fine today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.