Wiki Posts
Search

On board upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
On board upgrades

Do you have any experience of purchasing upgrades on board?

They are advertised here.

I have two upcoming flights (LCY-LIN and FCO-LHR), but I don't have enough miles for the upgrade. However, I could purchase the missing miles or transfer some Membership Reward points. There are currently 7 tickets on sale in business on both flights..
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ringingup
Do you have any experience of purchasing upgrades on board?

They are advertised here.

I have two upcoming flights (LCY-LIN and FCO-LHR), but I don't have enough miles for the upgrade. However, I could purchase the missing miles or transfer some Membership Reward points. There are currently 7 tickets on sale in business on both flights..
Upgrades can be made BEFORE flight from almost any eco class into I class (the lowest business class fare bucket). They can be made on board on LONG HAUL flights, I don't think they can do that on short haul.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin
Upgrades can be made BEFORE flight from almost any eco class into I class (the lowest business class fare bucket). They can be made on board on LONG HAUL flights, I don't think they can do that on short haul.
Thank you. That is different from what the Alitalia website says. It says you can upgrade on medium haul destinations, including Italy-UK. However, that is subject to the tablet being on board, which wasn't the case for my FCO-LHR flight.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
On one of my recent flights from FCO to LIN (op by CT), a passenger requested an upgrade on bord. The maitre de cabin got his computer tablett and the fee was paid by credit card. No idea how much was charged.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
On one of my recent flights from FCO to LIN (op by CT), a passenger requested an upgrade on bord. The maitre de cabin got his computer tablett and the fee was paid by credit card. No idea how much was charged.
I genuinely wonder what was going through the passenger's mind in order to pay for an upgrade on a 50 minutes flight...

G
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I genuinely wonder what was going through the passenger's mind in order to pay for an upgrade on a 50 minutes flight...

G
Miles? Hitting target for status?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Miles? Hitting target for status?
Yes, for the sake of 250 miles extra Probably, not. All I can think of, given also the highly business nature of that particular route, is an upgrade to comfort in order to have more flexibility on the way back/return flight. It is a rather common scene to see passengers going to the ticket desk at the lounges in FCO/LIN asking for availability on earlier flights...

G
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13C75 Safari/601.1)

Or, he has a company credit card and no one checking for futile expenses
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:30 pm

May I correct your English? This is not called futile expense but stupid expense!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
+1 !

Originally Posted by KLouis
May I correct your English? This is not called futile expense but stupid expense!
i made a purchase in the klm onboard shop , get granted without issues as long as i didnt exceed my budget , in the report i said it was for a service onboard !
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

on mxp-jfk they wanted 100,000 miles for the upgrade.. which was a joke...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by tortellini
What/who were you trying to upgrade, the whole family? It should not have been nowhere near as much!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I stand corrected
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by tortellini
Either you didn't understand correctly, or there's something missing here.

An upgrade BEFORE the flight costs 25k or 35k depending on your original booking class in eco, and you need availability in I

A space-available upgrade on board costs 50k one way.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:30 am

Either you didn't understand correctly, or there's something missing here.

An upgrade BEFORE the flight costs 25k or 35k depending on your original booking class in eco, and you need availability in I

A space-available upgrade on board costs 50k one way.
Unfortunately my info is correct. Upgrade before take off was not even possible (info was given by the gate managar - if you think this is a wrong info, well this is what he told me) and I re-confirm that I was asked 100k for 1 pax on that single flight. If this is a wrong info, blame AZ.. not me.. since I was shocked and asked to have it double checked. The onboard crew was friendly anyways, recognizing my CFA and allowing me to use an entire 4 seat row...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.