Premium Economy service on board

Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Premium Economy service on board

Flying jfk-fco r/t soon. What can I expect in terms of service ?
I saw on-line pictures of dedicated menus from a few years ago, but when I flew them last year I got the impression it was the same food as in Economy, or thereabout.

I also read recently that espresso on demand is now available in PE and that menu as been revamped.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:10 pm

I flew AZ's PE FCO-JFK (return in J) and found very good.
PDB: several due to WX delay, choice of juice, pop, and Franciacorta sparkling wine. They also offered some snacks, but I think it was due to the delay.
Food: dinner service was like Y but upgraded, meaning that there was real silverware and plates. Food was good, choice of a meat dish or cheese pasta (mezzalune). Wine was not bad, nothing too interesting. Fantastic little piece of tiramisu for dessert! Proper espresso and limoncello after the meal. Before arriving at Kennedy we were given a small cheese calzone that was rather tasty.
Service: FAs were attentive and polite, but maybe not "warm". No complaints from me though. They came around with refreshments numerous times during the flight. We were also given amenity kits with a few useful items.
Seat/IFE: the particular aircraft had not yet had the EY-inspired overhaul, so no in-flight Wi-Fi. Good selection of movies and shows. The seat is fine unless you are taller (I'm not). I was able to get a snooze without much difficulty. The personal overhead lights are a bit off, so if the person behind you insists on using it, it is basically shining 40% on you...
Overall, a great concept and it was very competitively priced - I got in on the CTA/PMO-JFK fare that happened back in May, $425 ai!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

I liked the PE cabin new look, although the recline seemed somewhat reduced from my previuos experiences.
Food was alright, but essentially the standard Economy choices replated.
We never got offered limoncello, nor espresso on demand, though. Dessert was very good in my case as well.
It was a late night flight (10:20pm departure) and hopfully that was the reason, but between meals service was non-existent. A couple bottles of water were left in the galley between PE and Magnifica; perhaps the galley in the back was better stocked.

I briefly hopped into the lounge at T1 and it looked like locusts had just gone through (and used the toilets as well). Worst AZ lounge state I have ever seen.

When I fly the return, on a daytime flight, I'll check more throughly and report.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
I briefly hopped into the lounge at T1 and it looked like locusts had just gone through (and used the toilets as well). Worst AZ lounge state I have ever seen.
Which one was it (there are 2 lounges in T1)? Both La Dolce Vita & the former Borromini are kept okay, even though they clearly show massive signs of wear & tear. The Borromini, in particular, is lacking natural light (there are actually big windows facing the apron and I'm not entirely sure nor ever understood why they're all covered with those old & creaky curtains...) which makes it a bit bleak but, apart from that, is not that bad I think! In any case, it's good job that you haven't seen the old lounge at LIN!

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 26, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for not being clearer. In the first post I wrote my itinerary is jfk-fco r/t, so the T1 was T1 at JFK.
For the record, I'm a fan of la dolce vita, even if it is before security and Borromini ain't that bad.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Apologies for not being clearer. In the first post I wrote my itinerary is jfk-fco r/t, so the T1 was T1 at JFK.
My apologies as I had not read the entire thread so I was convinced you were on about T1 at FCO. Re JFK: that does not even deserve to be called lounge and let's not talk about the people working there who seem to be pissed-off at all times, not to mention the ridiculously loud telly!

G
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

On the fco-jfk we had the old interior. The new one I experienced on the outbound definitely looks nicer, but I confirmed my impression that recline is somewhat reduced. Could be only a feeling, or just different seats (9B outbound, new cabin, less recline vs. 9D on the inbound, old cabine, more recline).

This time we were offered espresso after lunch; still no trace of limoncello.
The forward galley was left with just water, coke and oj, during the flight.
I went back and checked situation was no better in the galley there, with just some Rodeo chips added. Gone are those Alitalia snacks (lemon cookies, tarallucci, etc.) which were quite good, in my opinion.

Morning spread at the Giotto lounge is substantially improved. Ben fatto!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I experienced PE between MXP and JFK last year but not impressed at all. Food was exactly the same than in Economy. Only seating was better. But nothing so xclusive or special as they would like to sell.
That's why they are loosing even on such route, especially vs Emirates.
After 20 years flying with AZ (but now definitely switched to AF and LH), I'm guessing if they have definitely lost their head.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
For the record, I'm a fan of la dolce vita, even if it is before security and Borromini ain't that bad.
I was at the AZ JFK lounge yesterday and spent no more than two minutes in total as I concluded that it is less of a dump than the KE lounge but still enough of a dump that I left and went to the AF lounge which was bright and had decent food.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Squerez
I experienced PE between MXP and JFK last year but not impressed at all. Food was exactly the same than in Economy. Only seating was better. But nothing so xclusive or special as they would like to sell.
That's why they are loosing even on such route, especially vs Emirates.
After 20 years flying with AZ (but now definitely switched to AF and LH), I'm guessing if they have definitely lost their head.
That's why they are losing to Emirates that does not offer a PE product?

This seems a bit confused.

They are losing to Emirates because Emirates offers outlandishly low prices for well known reasons. And also because MXP and the Italian government had the idiotic idea of allowing a 5th freedom flight on a crowded route.

I wouldn't worry about the head of AZ on this specific subject.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by raistlin
That's why they are losing to Emirates that does not offer a PE product?

This seems a bit confused.

They are losing to Emirates because Emirates offers outlandishly low prices for well known reasons. And also because MXP and the Italian government had the idiotic idea of allowing a 5th freedom flight on a crowded route.

I wouldn't worry about the head of AZ on this specific subject.
Raistlin, you seem to like Govern intervention.
Emirates is a funded by private or governments (depends on points of view) as much as AZ (with Etihad money).

The Economy of Emirates is better than Economy of AZ. The plane A380 is also more comfortable. The problem of AZ is to focus on the creepy airport of Rome trying to serve businesses which simply do not exist in Rome. Only Italian politicians, priests and tourists: the first travel free; second and third prefer to travel cheap. They loose money and lack resources to provide the services that business travellers expect. The final end, if it is not another bankrupt (which I do not wish anyone) is simply to become a regional airline and stop bothering and lobbying to stop other competitors.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:06 am

Emirates is a funded by private or governments (depends on points of view) as much as AZ (with Etihad money).

The Economy of Emirates is better than Economy of AZ. The plane A380 is also more comfortable. The problem of AZ is to focus on the creepy airport of Rome trying to serve businesses which simply do not exist in Rome. Only Italian politicians, priests and tourists: the first travel free; second and third prefer to travel cheap. They loose money and lack resources to provide the services that business travellers expect. The final end, if it is not another bankrupt (which I do not wish anyone) is simply to become a regional airline and stop bothering and lobbying to stop other competitors.
You may also want to mention (amongst politicians & priests) the fact that, back in the days, AZ was probably the only airline (together with KL) which actually believed in the strategic role of MXP and the North of Italy overall as focus area. The fact that this particular long-term plan (if I may call it that way) had to be abandoned is not entirely down to the airline's responsibility as such (even though, fair enough, unions played, as ever, a good role in that respect - see crews who had to swap base etc. etc.), given also that LIN is still, as we speak, operating at full-swing like probably never before and that other airlines (see BA & LH) are obviously making the most out of it, bringing passengers to their respective hubs. You seem to be blaming the airline for something which, I'm afraid, is mostly (if not all) down to your (as a Country, I mean) politicians. In other countries, LIN would have probably already been limited to a few shuttle services (as AZ even clearly requested at the time) and MXP would have most certainly seen a significant growth in the longer-term.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jan 19, 2016 at 10:11 am
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
The airline market is BASED on government intervention.

The plane A380 is also more comfortable.
It's actually an awful meatbox, if you want my considerate opinion :-)

I dislike Emirates service. Etihad is leagues better, and actually Alitalia is also much much better than Emirates on board.

The only part of Emirates service that I like is their lounges :-)

The problem of AZ is to focus on the creepy airport of Rome trying to serve businesses which simply do not exist in Rome.
As it is pointed out above, you have your history upside down re: AZ and MXP.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:07 am

In fact politicians with lack of instruction (=culture) made a total mess. Plus -in the usual Italian way- they started -with big ambitions- on one side (MXP) and ended in another (FCO) for mere opportunistic reasons. AZ was in the middle but this do not excuse its low quality service in current times.
We clearly disagree on the quality of service which is not improved and - in my opinion- it is demostrated by their continue losses of money and passengers (unless when politicians help).
But again, someone can say that customers simply do not understand them... and should be more patient.
I'm not in this mood. And when I read that lowcost airlines like Wizzair buy 100 Airbus, the same Easyjet and Ryanair...then I think that there's no more place for this AZ in the sky. Kind of "Change or die...". I translate " Become fully lowcost or transform you in airline able to deliver business flyers services"...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

In my experience service on AZ s not any worse than service on DL, VS, or KL...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.